Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I may be talking shite but i genuinally do not know why the bookies have Eubank favourite or anyone thinks he will win this....he has fought one decent opponent in his career and lost. People say he has improved but how do they know? He’s fought no one since. Abraham was a punching bag, i cant think of anyone else of note. 

Pundits and and fans mention Eubanks energy, other than his last fight he has never really fought at a decent pace, let alone throughout a 12 round fight. I see Groves winning the fight overall quite convincingly. He will have a few hairy moments but on the whole i think he takes it comfortably. 

Size, Power, Experience, boxing ability, jab, body shots all Groves. 

Eubank has a good uppercut and level head, other than that i dont see much.....,

watch him spark groves in two rounds now.

2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

5-1 to 4-1 is shortening up your Lordship not drifting out but your point is well made. Most of what I have read today seems to be Groves on points so that might get a little shorter yet. 

Yeah i got the terminology wrong, but at least i got my point across.

Really interesting fight that nobody really knows how it will pan out? I have been looking forward to this encounter since before Christmas. Youth versus experience with belts & reputations on the line! I stand by my prediction of "Groves on points" ;)

Add me to those looking forward to Eubank vs Groves tonight. I have been following the buildup on IFL all week.

Heads up to those who are ordering the fight with SKY. You have to book the fight online, rather than through your TV or by phone. It's a bit of a ball ache. 

• Paid Members

Just watched the Joyce fight from last night on Dave. Looked good as you'd expect. Finishing shot was ruthless. 

Haye said after the fight that him and Hearn are talking about putting together a Joyce vs Chisora fight for the Haye vs Bellew 2 undercard in May. What do we make of that? Is it realistic? I know Joyce is only 2-0 but he's also a late starter for pro at 32 years old so he's obviously looking to get the ball rolling. 

Groves isn’t a particularly cerebral boxer, but he was made to look a genius by Eubank’s meathead approach. Groves had just enough footwork, just enough of an advantage in the clinch, a decent handle on the range and a good enough jab to just box Eubank to bits.

I feel like Eubanks approach of training by himself, wrapping his own hands and doing his own promotion has finally hit its ceiling. He needs to bin off pop’s and get serious. The only time he looked genuinely worrying to Groves was when Groves threw his arm out so didn’t have a jab to work behind.

Eubank seemed to want BJS again before this fight. That would not end well.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Well it played out how many thought it might. It was similar to how Eubank/Saunders went back in the day. Eubank looked a little lost from range and Groves was dictating the pace. Eubank's only option and plan seemed to be to burrow in and throw wild on the inside, he had spots of success but Groves tied him up a lot. There was definitely a knock down in round 10 (i think it was 10) that wasnt scored either.

How did the commentary not pick up on Groves fighting that 12th round with one arm either? they were talking it up like Eubank was having some great round but Groves' shoulder had clearly popped out and he lost any ability to hold. They still didnt pick up on it whilst they were showing all the post fight replays and Groves was having his arm tended too, they were oblivious to it. Some guts shown by Groves. Really happy with the result.

On 2/16/2018 at 10:37 PM, Lord-Mountevans said:

Yeah i got the terminology wrong, but at least i got my point across.

Really interesting fight that nobody really knows how it will pan out? I have been looking forward to this encounter since before Christmas. Youth versus experience with belts & reputations on the line! I stand by my prediction of "Groves on points" ;)

To quote Curt Henning after the 1992 Royal Rumble "Now we're not the type of guys to say we told you so, but...We told you so!"

Duke McKenzie got it right,after the decision when he said Groves "Old Manned him" although there is only a years difference in age, Groves brought a maturity to the fight & slipped his way to victory. Good job his shoulder popped in the final round because Eubank could have taken advantage of the injury, for a totally undeserved win.

Good fight, but not a great fight. Not sure if the punters would pay for a rematch further down the road?