Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

8 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/jailed-dundee-boxer-ronnie-shark-clark-suspended-sport-officials/

You are right David. Good old Ronnie. It's nice to see good things happen to good people. It was a cracking fight, the knockdown would have been the end of a lot of fights, but let's not pretend this is some heartwarming tale. 

As I said, he's been through a lot in his life (most of which isn't detailed in the article you posted), and he's gone on record saying that he was out of order in how he acted, but surprisingly enough the story is a lot more complicated than the article makes out.

Ask anyone who knows him. He's not the character that the media painted him out to be, the respect and outpouring of well-wishes after his win is testament to that. An arsehole the likes of which that article paints him as wouldn't have the support from boxing & non-boxing fans alike in the numbers that he does.

He's in a better place in his life now by all accounts, with certain people who were in his life now gone and replaced by people who seemingly have his best interests at heart. Good for him, and sometimes it's good to see the underdog get the big win.

• Paid Members

Sky Sports Boxing really seem to be focussing on youtube now which is great! they've uploaded a Deontay Wilder documentary they produced...

some good content going up.

• Paid Members

how does everyone see Kell Brook's return going this weekend?

There's a lot of unfair critisicm being aimed at his opponent for me. Rabchenko is coming off a loss but is known as a bit of a puncher, Brook himself is coming two real bad defeats, he's going up a weight-class and is probably suffering a bit of a dip in popularity due to the manner of both defeats despite them being to two of the best p4p fighters in the world. Ive followed parts of the build up and im not entirely sold, Brook's confidence has to have taken a huge hit and he's claiming to overhauled his style to go back to how he used to fight earlier in his career. Jury's out, but im not feeling too good about it.

I'm unconvinced about Brook as well. The Spence and GGG fights have probably taken a lot out of him. For years I have favoured him to beat Khan, but now I am not so sure. I find it hard to rate either at the moment. 

Elsewhere, there are rumours floating around that Fury is going to sign with Matchroom. Hearn alluded to big news in his latest video with IFL. 

It is a tough fight for Brook, however Brook should be able to win on points if he boxes clever, i could see it being a bit like either of the Carson Jones fights, if Brook is on his game and at his best it could be like the second one, if he’s not it could be like the first. 

I think Warren would put a price on Hearns head if he manages to sign Fury. BJS would follow as well i believe as his contracts up soon.

Big Lenroy Thomas will do Dave Allen again i think. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Elsewhere, there are rumours floating around that Fury is going to sign with Matchroom. Hearn alluded to big news in his latest video with IFL. 

yeh i watched that, i didnt even think of Fury when Hearn said he had big news coming, sounds about right to me.

Warren will shit a brick if he does. 

• Paid Members

yeh, seems to be some steam behind BJS going to Hearn as well.

I try to watch all the IFL videos of Hearn and Warren and the difference between the two is crazy, Warren doesn't really give Hearn any credit for what he's achieved, he comes off as bitter a lot of the time, he continually has a pop at Hearn's relationship with Stubhub too despite Eddie Hearn explaining it isn't the kind of deal Warre thinks it is several times

• Paid Members

Fucking hell so Schaub's invading boxing now as well? I thought he was just doing the pundit thing for Mayweather vs McGregor because of McGregor being an MMA fighter. Why's he still around? He really is the new GAD. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Fucking hell so Schaub's invading boxing now as well? I thought he was just doing the pundit thing for Mayweather vs McGregor because of McGregor being an MMA fighter. Why's he still around? He really is the new GAD. 

Ha. By the looks off it, Showtime are investing in him. Not sure what time it airs but his been given a hour (if this segment was 20 mins) program on Showtime covering boxing and mma. 

I don't mind Schaub but his lack off knowledge in boxing in very visible in this segment alone. Probably not the wisest move taking a dig at Lampley in your trailer also.

Edit - Saw in the other thread, Ebb was right it's a digital show. 

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fox Piss said:

I don't mind Schaub but his lack off knowledge in boxing in very visible in this segment alone. Probably not the wisest move taking a dig at Lampley in your trailer also.

yeh, it is very noticeable.

I like The Fighter & The Kid and Schaub's lack of knowledge was always noticeable on there. To the average joe it's probably not an issue but to anyone who follows boxing it's clear that Schaub's scope of knowledge is very small, he literally knows about 20 fighters. Having said that, having him Paulie is fine because Paulie knows his shit and Schaub just prompts Paulie to talk more. I enjoyed that.

• Paid Members

Yeah but if there's one guy who doesn't need prompting to talk it's Paulie. He's got the fastest mouth in boxing. Paulie's got enough to say, and has enough knowledge, on his own without Schaub hanging around shitting things up. He's just terrible. What's the point listening to someone who you know is talking a load of bollocks? I don't think I'll ever get his appeal. He's bad enough talking MMA, he's got zero credibility when it comes to boxing. Especially after the stuff he was saying about McGregor compared to the likes of Canelo, Judah etc. I'll never get past that when I see him covering boxing. He gets too attached to certain fighters to be good at it. There's no impartiality and he can't see anything but what he wants to see. And he's annoying as fuck on top of it. If he ever appears on a breakdown with GAD that's it, I'll be having a breakdown of my own. 

Edited by wandshogun09

You can blame Dana White for Schaub invading boxing. If Dana hadn't vetoed Helwani from being a pundit for Mayweather vs McGregor, Schaub would not have got his foot in the door at Showtime.

I can't see Schaub fading away any time soon. His style does appeal to a certain audience. Namely, those who watch Rogan's podcast. Given that Showtime have now picked him up, it seems they think he has appeal as well. My theory is that he's easier for semi-casual fans to listen to. His podcast is quite light-hearted. Also, given that he's a former UFC fighter, people can buy into what he's saying. It's easy for some of the posters on here to call bullshit when he and Rogan jump the gun on certain fighters. But others are a bit more impressionable.

He is still rotten though.