Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's a bit much. It's not going to make me hate him or anything but it's a stupidly outdated attitude. And he'll probably find anyway that the stricter he is with his niece the more she'll rebel as she grows up. 

Yeah it's not going to make me dislike him.  It kind of reads that he knows boys are the problem but is happy to use the "Boys will be boys" excuse instead of tackling the problem.  John Amaechi was on a show where he said we need to stop treating sport as a religion and sportsmen as religious figures.  He said can you imagine a French teacher screaming face to face with someone the way coaches do sometimes?  Good point.

I know there is the Bob Holly rule, I guess for Boxing it can be the Mayweather/Warren/Take your pick from horrible pricks rule, but I think AJ is a decent guy.

• Paid Members

Indeed, but nonetheless the point still stands that Wilder is the more likeable of the two. I just think AJ is a bit of a knob and if it wasn't for the fact he is British, I'm certain I'd be more pro-Wilder than I already am in a potential match up.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Just sounds like a bloke being a tad over protective of his niece to me. It probably reads in different context to he actually said it as well, but the fact that comments like that actually become a story is a bit baffling to me.

Apparently the Eddie Chambers thing was from a fake account, or that was the excuse.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah, it's completely sexist, blokes can shag around but women can't?

Regardless of how you interpret the comments, its hardly news is it?

just feels like fake outrage, some of twitter comments ive read regarding this are ridiculous.

Quick edit, just read that interview was from March last year, why wasn't it news back then?

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Canelo Alvarez has failed a drugs test but yet the rematch with GGG is still going ahead. 

i read its an ongoing problem with tainted mexican meat? seems dodgy but Canelo is under strict VADA testing now running into the fight.

15 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Regardless of how you interpret the comments, its hardly news is it?

just feels like fake outrage, some of twitter comments ive read regarding this are ridiculous.

Quick edit, just read that interview was from March last year, why wasn't it news back then?

I guess that's the world of rolling 24 hour news and celebrity, everything is news.  I'm sure to someone like you and I who are on the benefitting end of a sexist society the comments may seem fake outrage, but then we don't get the "Calm down, love" patronising.  I'm guessing it wasn't news back then as it wasn't picked up.  Given how there have been societal changes with #MeToo and the Hollywood shitstorm lately, things get highlighted.

I still think AJ is an excellent role model, a world champion, an olympic gold medalist, and seemingly a very humble and decent guy.  It's always more disappointing when one of the good guys makes a sexist comment, despite it coming from a well intentioned place.

And well done on using the edit function! Perhaps now you won't double fecking post all the time!!

• Paid Members

"Fake outrage" or not, it's still a pretty shitty opinion. Joshua obviously isn't a monster, but that coupled with his alleged race comments is disappointing. I was very much on the "excellent role model" too, which is why it's annoying.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I still think AJ is an excellent role model, a world champion, an olympic gold medalist, and seemingly a very humble and decent guy.  It's always more disappointing when one of the good guys makes a sexist comment, despite it coming from a well intentioned place.

And well done on using the edit function! Perhaps now you won't double fecking post all the time!!

sorry bud, dont mean too.

I just feel its a little harsh to tear apart a comment made in a magazine when you cant guage how the comments were intended. Even if you believe its an outdated view, it was more than likely a light hearted comment made to sound like hes very protective of his niece, if the comments were sexist or not probably never even crossed his mind. You have to be ultra careful what you say these days because there a so many people lurking to tear you down.

I do guess its a sign of the times, but when im reading on twitter that people are no longer supporting the bloke because of it  and that hes shown his true colours i just cant help but feel its all abit ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Even if you believe its an outdated view, it was more than likely a light hearted comment made to sound like hes very protective of his niece, if the comments were sexist or not probably never even crossed his mind.

Exactly that, and that is the issue when it comes to the societal issue.  It's like holding a door open for a woman, why not do it for everyone? It implies that women need looking after by men.  Purely innocent stuff from AJ regarding intent, totally agree.

Jury's still out on Deontay Wilder. He's a terrible boxer with a good strong punch. Only way to ever prove how good you are is to beat a top level opponent. Wilder hasn't fought anyone near that level. The only former world titlist he has faced is Bermane Stiverne who's pretty poor anyway. Most of the fighters are tailor made for him by Al Haymon. Big, fat, slow plodders who he can easily pick off.