Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Pringles just hooked me up with a free day pass for Sky Sports, so i'll be watching the Kell Brook show live now rather than the Channel 5 show, result!

Ha, fantastic stuff!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

You can blame Dana White for Schaub invading boxing. If Dana hadn't vetoed Helwani from being a pundit for Mayweather vs McGregor, Schaub would not have got his foot in the door at Showtime.

that must have irked Dana, he and Schaub aint exactly buddies either.

• Paid Members

I don't think Schaub replaced Ariel. 

I remember him speaking about it on his podcast. He said he and Ariel were texting each other about how happy they were getting the gig. Ariel then saw Brendan in the hotel and Ariel was clearly upset/crying after being told he wasn't getting used due to Dana. 

Schaub said it sucked but wasn't his place to go to bat for Ariel since he was lucky being given the opportunity especially with his beef with Dana. 

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

His style does appeal to a certain audience. Namely, those who watch Rogan's podcast.

See, I like Rogan's podcast, mostly. Still don't get it with Schaub though. The shows with Schaub and Callen on are the worst JRE shows for me. Add Eddie Bravo and his loony conspiracy flat earth bollocks and it's pretty much unlistenable. But when it's just Rogan and a guest, depending on the guest, I usually really enjoy it. The fighter ones are nearly always worth a listen plus he's had some really good ones with Louis Theroux, Jesse Ventura, Joey Diaz of course etc. 

Also, given that he's a former UFC fighter, people can buy into what he's saying.

That makes his shitness worse for me. One, because as a former fighter he knows what it's like from the other side when someone in the MMA media is spouting bullshit that isn't factual and he clearly does no research into his boxing stuff. And also, it's misleading for fans just getting into MMA or boxing when you see this guy who is presented as a former fighter so they'll understandably assume he knows what he's talking about when really he's just a big manchild chatting shite. 

I never thought I'd say this but he might actually be worse than GAD. Not in terms of content, they're both probably equally as dire. But at least with GAD you could laugh at the absurdity of the buffoon. Poke fun at his pompousness or his bumbling around with his green handbag or that time he slagged Helwani off and declared himself "a proper bloke" or whatever. He did nothing good for the image of MMA in the UK really but he at least provided some unintentional lols. The Boris Johnson of MMA. Schaub is just facepalm bad and doesn't even have the good grace to be comedically shit. Just shit.

Edited by wandshogun09

Rogan's podcasts are usually better when he has a decent guest on, rather than his friends (barring a few exceptions). I do think those who dig Rogan, Bravo, etc as a collective are likely to make up a large portion of Schaub and Callen's audience. 

Anyone have any predictions for Wilder vs Ortiz tonight? 

• Paid Members

Well no need to worry about Brook, he breezed through Rabchenko in 2 rounds. Felt a mismatch in the end but a good comeback and it's sets the wheels in motion for the Khan fight.

...had to feel for Dave Allen. Couldn't have gone much worse than that, poor bugger, he cant catch a break.

• Paid Members

Yeah that was exactly what Brook needed. A quick and decisive win to get back in the win column and a nice little confidence boost. Hearn sounded like the Khan fight is definitely the plan if Khan wins his fight in April. Brook is going to fight again in June though. Hopefully Brook vs Khan finally happens this year. If not this year with them both under the Matchroom banner then you have to wonder when. Timing seems ideal for it happening maybe late 2018. 

I’d like to see Liam Smith v Brook. 

Really looking forward to Whyte v Browne. Whytes had somewhat of a face turn for me on IFL. 

Just watched the Wilder/Ortiz match, a boring start but picked up around the 6th. Wilder just looks so reckless and unorthodox but at the same time must carry serious power. Him and AJ need to get it on in the Summer, i doubt they will though due to percentages of the purse and other things. 

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

Fun scrap, Wilder/Ortiz. Some are saying it's as good or better than AJ/Klitschko, which is wrong, but it's another example of how exciting the HW division is. Wilder did well to get back in it, whether that be taking extra time to recover at the beginning of the 8th, or just sticking in there.
Interestingly, the judges had Wilder up, despite pretty much everyone else giving Ortiz the nod. Boxing.

It's important Joshua doesn't overlook his upcoming opponent, before talking Wilder. Some of the casuals divs that AJ attracts were proper underwhelmed by his last outing, so AJ needs a good performance, by their standards.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yeah, it was an entertaining slobberknocker but I wouldn't rate it with AJ vs Wlad. 

I'm loving the heavyweight division again now though. It's been a while since it was so healthy and competitive, thinking back to the days of the Klitschkos ruling for ages and jabbing everyone to death. I like the Klitschko brothers but it didn't make for the most exciting times in the division. Things are cooking now though. Joshua, Wilder, Parker, a returning Tyson Fury, we've got the upcoming Whyte vs Browne fight. Even though they're basically blown up cruisers you've got Haye vs Bellew 2. You've got Joyce calling out Chisora* for what would be just his third (I think?) pro fight. Young heavies on the UK scene like Dubois and Gorman coming along nicely. I think Hughie Fury's fighting again soon, isn't he? There's more going on in heavyweight boxing than there has been in a while in terms of appealing potential fights and big fights. 

* OK just read that Joyce vs Chisora isn't happening. It was always a longshot. Joyce is claiming Delboy was offered "life changing money" but turned the fight down. 

Edited by wandshogun09