Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Fox Piss said:

I wouldn't put money on it. I mean Smith was the betting favorite from the beginning.

The stupid talk from Nas last night and some pathetic tweets from fellow pro's to Eubanks about his ability does grind on me a bit though. Junior can still be a handful for most in the division. I wouldn't say i was overly impressed with Groves either last night tbh.  So seeing Eubanks coming back from a loss and beating current pundits golden boy Smith would be great.

It's a long shot though. Due to Smith ability and the advantage he gains from weighing far more than nearly everybody come the first bell. 

Eubank just seems to have a problem with anyone who can keep him on the outside and establish a jab and keep range. Against Smith who is much taller than Groves and has a great jab he'll have a hard time getting anything done. Especially if Smith is as effective at tying Eubank us Groves would.

Eubank will be better off going back to Middleweight.

• Paid Members

Eubank won't get any better because he doesn't listen to anyone. If he trained with a good trainer he has the foundations of a really good fighter. Him vs David Lemieux would be a hell of a scrap. I can't see him causing Saunders, Canelo, or GGG any problems though and that where the money and the titles are.  

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Stupid predictive text.

In retrospect, it seems quite obvious that Eubank was going to be exposed. As stated, he does things his own way, and seemingly doesn't listen to anyone. 

However, it was not known before Saturday that this was going to be such an issue. Beforehand, those more qualified to have an informed opinion on Groves vs Eubank did not predict that Eubank would lose. Elliot Worsell had been present when Eubank sparred with Groves on numerous occasions. Adam Booth had a brief stint as Eubank's trainer, and was also Groves's trainer for many years previously. Neither predicted a Eubank defeat. Booth leaned towards Eubank winning, and Worsell said it was too close to call. 

I was unaware until fight week that BJS had half-arsed his preparation for his fight with Eubank in late 2014. That might explain why BJS lost rounds in the second half of that fight. It wasn't so much Eubank coming on strong, it was more that BJS faded. An in-shape version of BJS - like the one who fought Lemieux - would presumably beat Eubank quite easily. 

• Paid Members

Its hard to say now with Billy Joe Saunders. I think now because he's hit the form of his career pretty much everything up until he teamed up with Dominic Ingle is being written off. Im not so sure i believe that, I think Saunders was prepared as well as he could have been then, he's just taken it to a new level in the last year or so. I think the 'half arsed' comments are a more a dig at Eubank than anything else.

The worst he ever looked he was against Akavov in Scotland but that was coming off a huge lay off and he was unmotivated by the opponent. I dont think for a minute he wasnt well prepared to fight Andy Lee the fight before that though.

• Paid Members

Looks like Jurgen Brahmer is out against Callum Smith citing the flu. Weirdly, Dutch kickboxer and former Glory champion Nieky Holzken is the favorite to step in to replace him. I didnt even know he boxed but he's 13-0.

• Paid Members

Never expected that at all. Holzken isn't a nobody either. He's might not be well known in boxing circles but he's a really good kickboxer, former GLORY champ and has beat some very good fighters in that sport like Joseph Valtellini and Raymond Daniels. He'll rightly be a huge underdog in a boxing match against Callum Smith but I'm oddly intrigued by this. As a fan of both sports it's something I didn't expect to see but I'll take it. I'll probably be alone on it but I'm actually more into this than the original Braehmer fight. 

• Paid Members

If someone got injured they were always going to have this problem, it's a shame it has to be now. 

Im not sure who realistically they could have had on standby at this sort of level but you might have thought the standby fighter might be German. 

• Paid Members

It looks like the idea is to have a standby fighter fight on each card so that they always have someone in place in case that happens. It happened last week too, a guy named Zack Parker was the fill-in fighter for Groves/Eubank and as no one pulled out he just fought on the undercard. Parker was offered this fight too but he tweeted saying he couldnt make the weight again.

Holsken was also scheduled to fight Saturday against Dmitry Chudinov on the same card so he simply switched opponents. It isn't clear why Holsken was chosen over Chudinov though.

It does suck for the tournament, and its not gonna look good if the Ali Trophy is contested for between 2 guys who didnt start in the tournament, one of which will be having his first fight of the tournament in the final! Its like UFC 3 all over again.

Still, im just going with it. The tournament has been brilliant, its produced some great fights that probably wouldnt have happened otherwise, so even if the tournament does end up with odd finals im still all for it continuing, and at the end of the day, i dont really care who wins the trophy, its the fights along the way that its all about.

As for Holsken, its really odd to see this from the perspective of someone whos very aware of who he is. Boxing purists who dont follow kickboxing aren't happy at all.

I know it's crazy, and I understand from a boxing perspective it's a confusing match-up, but boy has this fight got me jazzed up. NIEKY FUCKING HOLZKEN is in the semi-final of the Super Series, and could end up fighting George Groves. That's bizarre.

I hope he sends Smith to the moon.