Paid Members mim731 Posted July 21 Paid Members Posted July 21 (edited) 5 minutes ago, davertfnewman said: He must've been a pretty big child to knock you over. Fixed now. Thanks for the pedantry. I respect it. Edited July 21 by mim731 Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted July 21 Paid Members Posted July 21 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: I thought Grandma's House was superb. Would've happily watched more of that. I really liked it but can hardly remember anything about it except his auntie was hideous, great job by Samantha Spiro, and poor old Geoffery Hutchings (Also in Benidorm around that time) was his Grandad in it but died after series 1 I think. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted July 21 Paid Members Posted July 21 2 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said: What happened to Simon Amstell? His stand up the last I saw a couple of years ago consisted of talking about his open marriage or relationship, can’t remember which, and having sex with younger men. It’s less comedy and more humble brag. I know I’m not his target audience with the shows theme, but it was not funny at all imo. Quote
CL Punk Posted July 22 Posted July 22 On 7/21/2026 at 2:46 PM, Lorne Malvo said: What happened to Simon Amstell? I remember seeing a film that he wrote and directed called Benjamin, it starred Merlin from Merlin. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 (edited) A lot of the tabloid darlings disappeared as newspaper circulation dried up - Abi Titmuss, Lady Victoria Hervey and Rebecca Loos, for example. I understand why two of them became famous, but I could never fathom why Hervey was, as they described her, an ‘It Girl’, or what that even meant. The 2000s was full of artists who threatened to make it big before disappearing - La Roux comes to mind, with Bulletproof and For the Kill still tremendous songs. Ms Dynamite was never my thing, but she seemed set to become a big deal at one point. And then there was one hit wonder Eamonn. You couldn’t escape that ‘Fuck you, I don’t want you back’ song at one point, these days you never hear it, never mind from him. He didn’t even get a run-out on reality TV, as far as I’m aware. He just kinda disappeared. Edited July 23 by RedTwoster Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 23 Author Members Posted July 23 9 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: And then there was one hit wonder Eamonn. You couldn’t escape that ‘Fuck you, I don’t want you back’ song at one point, these days you never hear it, never mind from him. He didn’t even get a run-out on reality TV, as far as I’m aware. He just kinda disappeared. I wonder if him and Frankee ever got back together genius marketing that, knowing all the scorned men would buy his song and all the scorned women would buy her song. Great shout on the tabloid it girls. There wasn't a day go by where Tara Palmer Tomkinson wasn't in the paper or on TV, and then she just wasn't. I didn't know she's been dead nearly 10 years until I just had a look. Quote
deathrey Posted July 23 Posted July 23 (edited) Lady Victoria Harvey and her ilk - Tara Palmer Tomkinson, Tamara Beckworth and another one who is a right wing nutter now who's name I can't remember were essentially famous for being incredibly wealthy and young which meant they were at all the parties and nightclubs with the famous people of the time. They were on every other page of OK/Hello magazine for no reason other than being rich so they became these weird aspirational figures despite all having inherited their money and their jobs essentially were being seen around famous people and being posh. Ms Dynamite gave up music to have kids, literally just did one excellent album and said I'm done and did very little else musically other than the odd feature. La Roux is still around I understand but just not as successful. She's been accused of being a bystander in a serious sexual assault by Kanye West (on the set of one of her videos that he was featuring in), after the incident the song and video were dropped and seemingly, so was she. Edited July 23 by deathrey Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: I wonder if him and Frankee ever got back together genius marketing that, knowing all the scorned men would buy his song and all the scorned women would buy her song. I unironically still absolutely love both of those songs. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 14 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: The 2000s was full of artists who threatened to make it big before disappearing - La Roux comes to mind, with Bulletproof and For the Kill still tremendous songs. Their second album, despite being great, flopped compared to the success of the first, which was a big shame. They released an third which was also really good and have another coming out at the end of the year, so while not mainstream, they are plugging away. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 It Girls were just modern versions of socialites - in an era when mass media had been established long enough for anyone good-looking of any class to be famous for just being famous, it was a re-labelling to enable aristocratic socialites to do what they'd always done without being lumped in with the others, which would have been vulgar, dontcher know. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 36 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: Abi Titmuss, Lady Victoria Hervey Last I heard of Abi Titmuss was she was in American soap Days of our Lives. Playing a nurse of course. Lady Victoria pops up a lot defending Prince Andrew these days. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 4 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said: Lady Victoria pops up a lot defending Prince Andrew these days. Bloody hell, she’s reprehensible - ‘If you’re not in the Epstein files, it just means you were a bit of a loser.’ (link to LBC) There’s being a professional grifter, and there’s saying things that demonstrate so little empathy and awareness that you immediately see the person in question is awful. Quote
davertfnewman Posted July 23 Posted July 23 I believe this guy had just this banger and then nothing else really after: Quote
Cousin Jim Bob Posted July 23 Posted July 23 La Roux was a group wasn't it, and the producer bloke left after the first album. So the second album, which was pretty good, took 5 years to come out after the first due to all that chaos. Which lost them all their momentum. Plus the singles flopped. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.