AshC Posted July 24 Posted July 24 I vividly remembering hearing La Roux in an indie club in about 2006 and thinking 'this'll be the end of (NME) guitar bands... the kids all like the dance stuff now'. And it pretty much was. 😔 Quote
Paid Members Sergio Mendacious Posted July 24 Paid Members Posted July 24 3 hours ago, Jazzy G said: @Chili are you thinking of late night Channel 4 gaming show Bits with Dr Aleks K, Emily "Bouff" and Emily Newton-Dunn? Usually on between The Girly Show and Naked Elvis with Tania Strecker? Oooooh Emily Bouffant. Bits was appointment viewing in our house at uni. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted July 24 Paid Members Posted July 24 She's been in some movies (not those ones, but I think she did have to disrobe in one) and I think does occasional links on the Horror Channel, or did at one point when the Horror Channel was a thing. Definitely one for the Hannah Fry thread. Quote
The Gaffer Posted July 24 Posted July 24 If you wind back from Example and Professor Green a bit, you also land in what the NME once tried to christen 'Nu Rave'. Which was basically The Klaxons and any other band that backdropped a party scene from Skins. But yeah, Example was the worst. The Russell Howardification of British dance music culture. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted July 24 Posted July 24 I think Klaxons disappeared because yes, their being shit caught up with them, but also their singer married Keira Knightley and decided being a house husband in the south of France and living high on the Knightley hog was a better grift than having to wackily woft glow sticks into his 30s. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted July 24 Awards Moderator Posted July 24 28 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: I think Klaxons disappeared because yes, their being shit caught up with them, but also their singer married Keira Knightley and decided being a house husband in the south of France and living high on the Knightley hog was a better grift than having to wackily woft glow sticks into his 30s. And he’d be absolutely correct. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted July 24 Posted July 24 I mean that's rubbish. Joe Wilkinson is married to Keira Knightley. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted July 24 Paid Members Posted July 24 (edited) James Righton from off of out of Klaxons did indeed marry Keira Knightley and put out a solo album on Soulwax's Deewee label. Klaxons also did that mashup of Golden Skans and Umbrella with Rihanna at the Brits one year in a prime example of "we have Kylie & New Order's Can't Get Blue Monday Out Of My Head at home" Edited July 24 by Jazzy G Quote
Paid Members Sergio Mendacious Posted July 24 Paid Members Posted July 24 6 hours ago, Jazzy G said: She's been in some movies (not those ones, but I think she did have to disrobe in one) and I think does occasional links on the Horror Channel, or did at one point when the Horror Channel was a thing. Definitely one for the Hannah Fry thread. Yeah, she was Pervirella. She was also in Evil Aliens, a film that I very nearly took two buses to a cinema in the sticks to watch at midnight, but was afraid I simply wouldn't make it home. Thank goodness, it was shit. I used to go to Leicester Square to the pictures quite a lot, saw Boof doing on the street reporting several times. Absolute soaraway stunner, tbh. Quote
Rossman Posted July 24 Posted July 24 5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said: I think Klaxons disappeared because yes, their being shit caught up with them, but also their singer married Keira Knightley and decided being a house husband in the south of France and living high on the Knightley hog was a better grift than having to wackily woft glow sticks into his 30s. He now writes soundtracks. He did the music for a Simon Amstell indie film. And recently wrote the theme music for the BBC comedy Daddy Issues with David Morrissey & Aimee Lou Wood. I saw him support indie band Lemon Twigs back in 2016 at the Bodega Social Club. Which is a small club above a pub in Nottingham. Can't remember any of his songs, but he wore a bright red suit. And thought why he was supporting a couple of 16 year olds in a small sweaty club, when he could be at home with his feet up. Quote
Paid Members mim731 Posted July 24 Paid Members Posted July 24 (edited) 16 hours ago, SuperBacon said: See also Example (proper, PROPER shite), Professor Green (good rapper but again proper shite) and also Lady Sovereign, who was great. Everywhere for a bit, disappeared forever. I always hoped for Example's career to stall after he did a song about a date at Pizza Express where he sounded like a right cunt.   3 hours ago, Sergio Mendacious said: Yeah, she was Pervirella. She was also in Evil Aliens, a film that I very nearly took two buses to a cinema in the sticks to watch at midnight, but was afraid I simply wouldn't make it home. Thank goodness, it was shit. I used to go to Leicester Square to the pictures quite a lot, saw Boof doing on the street reporting several times. Absolute soaraway stunner, tbh. Last I heard, she's still doing cinema stuff locally in Hastings where she's living these days. I believe she transitioned into doing some arty burlesque stuff, and has a day job as a masseuse based on social media etc. Met her a few times at the afterparties for Frightfest back in the day and she was lovely, and was always happy to chat about films (hers and more generally).  Edited July 24 by mim731 Extra info/reply Quote
Chili Posted July 24 Posted July 24 Always found people like Emily Booth and Sara Cawood slightly fascinating because they seemed very lower tier presenters who had rightful cult followings, did wonder what else they did to earn bread. Didn't Booth review some dirty videos (furry honeypot adventure etc) on telly too. I love that kind of budget TV. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted July 24 Posted July 24 Yes she was on L!VE TV for a while on one of their review programmes.  Also, funny Sarah Cawood got mentioned as I saw a rather wholesome social media post from her a few days ago where she was basically saying 'someone give me a job so the family isn't just reliant on my husbands income'. Fair play to her trying to get back into work, even if its partly a bit 'thinks she's better than she actually is' type scenario. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted July 24 Paid Members Posted July 24 Another musical one - Foxes. She featured on a number of tracks with big artists, had some hits in her own right (some of her songs absolute bangers too), appeared on Dr Who and then…nothing. Same goes for someone she collaborated with - Zedd. He collaborated with a bunch of big names including Hayley Williams, Ariana Grande, Maren Morris and Selena Gomez, and then he disappeared for almost 9 years, re-emerging with an album that had limited impact in 2024 before disappearing again. I remember Dani Behr being wheeled out for BBC’s The Saturday Show - one of many attempts to rival SMTV Live - but she seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. Fairly sure she did The Big Breakfast too. Two Scotland-only ones now - Heather the Weather was a bit of an iconic figure on Scottish news broadcasts, as was Jackie Bird. The fact they’ve not cropped up on TV or even radio again since leaving BBC Reporting Scotland is a bit surprising. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 24 Author Members Posted July 24 9 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: remember Dani Behr The Dani Behr Sky magazine issue was transformative. Good articles. I'm sure she's been mentioned already, she's an estate agent in LA now apparently. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.