Raymond Sterio Posted July 23 Posted July 23 3 hours ago, RedTwoster said: The 2000s was full of artists who threatened to make it big before disappearing - La Roux comes to mind, with Bulletproof and For the Kill still tremendous songs. Ms Dynamite was never my thing, but she seemed set to become a big deal at one point. Klaxons come to mind with this point. They were being tipped as the new indie/electro/student big thing. You couldn't go on a night out without hearing one of their tracks. I think they released a couple more albums over the years with fairly large gaps between them, but I don't think anyone ever mentioned them again after like 2006. Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 2 hours ago, davertfnewman said: I believe this guy had just this banger and then nothing else really after: Sam Sparro is the brother of my all-time favourite synthwave musician Droid Bishop. They’ve done an occasional collab. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said: I unironically still absolutely love both of those songs. I remember them getting them both on Top Of The Pops to duet their call and response versions. It's just a more modern version of when they used to do answer songs. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 It's probably the age I am, but at one point it felt like Kirsten O'Brien was the face of children's television. She was everywhere, and then she wasn't. Similarly, Andy Crane used to pop up on almost every kids show for a spell, including Bad Influence, which was the show that helped build my love of video games, with lasts to this day. And speaking of Bad Influence - Violet Berlin! She was a regular on (I think) Bravo after her kids TV run ended, again presenting video game shows, but I've no idea what's happened to her. Quote
Rossman Posted July 23 Posted July 23 3 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said: La Roux was a group wasn't it, and the producer bloke left after the first album. So the second album, which was pretty good, took 5 years to come out after the first due to all that chaos. Which lost them all their momentum. Plus the singles flopped. Yeah the producer left, so it was just Elly Jackson. Her mum played one of the main characters in the Bill. I always thought they were called La Roux because she had red hair. I liked the 2nd album. Uptight Downtown is a great dancing tune. 20 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: It's probably the age I am, but at one point it felt like Kirsten O'Brien was the face of children's television. She was everywhere, and then she wasn't. Similarly, Andy Crane used to pop up on almost every kids show for a spell, . Kirsten's on BBC radio. I saw a story recently where she left her local county BBC radio show and Dick & Dom surprised her on the last day. She now does the traffic reports on Radio 2 in the afternoon. Andy Crane covers for Simon Mayo on Drive Time on Greatest Hits Radio. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 Andy Crane used to present and report on the news for Channel M. I saw him out with a camera crew quite frequently when I worked in the city centre I recall after she left CBBC Kirsten O'Brien did a documentary where she tried to get into one of the lads mags. Was it called Kirsten Gets Them Off or something? No: it was called Kirsten's Topless Ambition. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 Talking of Violet Berlin and 80s/90s kids' TV, Gaz Top was everywhere at one point. Quote
Paid Members Sergio Mendacious Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 Whyte Horses did a version of my favorite Bee Gee's song with La Roux (along with at least one other track) — it's a constant replay in this house Quote
Paid Members Statto Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 (edited) Kirsten O'Brien was Sky's main continuity announcer for ages. Maybe still is? Edited July 23 by Statto Kirsten not Kristen. You'd think my phone would get that the other way round given how often I Google Kirsten Dunst. Quote
Paid Members Weezenal Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 Apparently she's going to be reading afternoon travel on Radio 2 soon. Quote
Chili Posted July 23 Posted July 23 5 hours ago, Carbomb said: Talking of Violet Berlin and 80s/90s kids' TV, Gaz Top was everywhere at one point. I think I was just a few years off the mark with Berlin because both her and Bad Influence in general were a complete mind blank to me when our Millard did an episode about it. Woman talking about computer games and thus being attractive on the basis of actually knowing about computer games was Aleks Krotoski for me, of Thumb Bandits fame. Ok, Games Mistress too obviously. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted July 23 Posted July 23 12 hours ago, SuperBacon said: I wonder if him and Frankee ever got back together genius marketing that, knowing all the scorned men would buy his song and all the scorned women would buy her song. I saw some TikTok bloke doing a man’s response to Olivia Deans Man I Need but he completely missed the point of her song and instead sounded like a toxic helmet and he got absolutely rinsed in the comments for it. Felt satisfying. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted July 23 Paid Members Posted July 23 @Chili are you thinking of late night Channel 4 gaming show Bits with Dr Aleks K, Emily "Bouff" and Emily Newton-Dunn? Usually on between The Girly Show and Naked Elvis with Tania Strecker? Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 23 Author Members Posted July 23 I was reminded today of Plan B and that fucking awful She Said song that was absolutely everywhere, and the other one Stay Too Long that was just as bad. Whatever year that album came out, those songs were inescapable. Terrible. He did make a few good songs in his early career, always loved this one, but that musical direction change was awful, but successful so fair play to him. See also Example (proper, PROPER shite), Professor Green (good rapper but again proper shite) and also Lady Sovereign, who was great. Everywhere for a bit, disappeared forever. Quote
Paid Members Monkee Posted July 24 Paid Members Posted July 24 26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: See also Example (proper, PROPER shite), Professor Green (good rapper but again proper shite) and also Lady Sovereign, who was great. Everywhere for a bit, disappeared forever. I really like Example and was listening to the Won’t Go Quietly album only yesterday. I was gutted I missed his show at Brixton Academy in May as I was on holiday. And, guess who the support was? Professor Green. I was disappointed to have missed Native James at Download but especially so when I heard Professor Green did a guest appearance. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.