Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
8 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I don’t think that’s completely fair on him. Could it not be that he’s happy with the job and isn’t money-motivated? It’s not like he’s earning pittance, and ultimately depending on how you spend your money, if you’re living comfortably either way what difference does it make? He’s still going to be earning a lot.

I don’t think it’s necessarily culty, or even a sign of manipulation - I think it’s shitty behaviour from TKO, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t think it’s indicative of him being ‘indoctrinated’.

This may be overly harsh on Sami Zayn as it's not like he asked to be the poster child for TKO pay cuts, but for me it's about solidarity with your colleagues. Him taking a pay cut and not kicking up a fuss just says that TKO can do it to more and more people. Again I know Sami didn't ask to be in this position so it's not fair at all, but just going along with it sells out the rest of your colleagues. It's almost scab-like behaviour for me.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

It's almost scab-like behaviour for me.

That's my main takeaway as harsh as it may be, plus it's not like he's on a low paying job and will be out of work struggling if he said no to TKO and left.

Posted

Honestly it’s pathetic for anyone to take a 50% pay cut, it’s a lack of self respect and it undermines others by setting a terrible precedent in a company which has terrible employment practices already with regards to employee vs contractor status, and a company that is making billions. Shameful shit.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I assume it's probably a bit more nuanced than a 50% pay cut too. Maybe he's now got a lighter schedule or they offered him company shares or something. 

Or they just said take a cut or you're getting released.

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I keep seeing "easier schedule" mentioned. I don't keep up with WWE anymore(or as much as I used to , anyway), but is that a thing anymore? 

They only work about 380 days a year these days, with the time differences.

  • Paid Members
Posted
25 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

They only work about 380 days a year these days, with the time differences.

Its all the flying back and forth between Japan, isnt it?

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

This may be overly harsh on Sami Zayn as it's not like he asked to be the poster child for TKO pay cuts, but for me it's about solidarity with your colleagues. Him taking a pay cut and not kicking up a fuss just says that TKO can do it to more and more people. Again I know Sami didn't ask to be in this position so it's not fair at all, but just going along with it sells out the rest of your colleagues. It's almost scab-like behaviour for me.

I think that’s a fair take, but the reality is for a lot of WWE wrestlers, the option of AEW exists, and Tony Khan - to his credit - seems to pay wrestlers fairly and TKO will go ahead with this strategy anyway, so I don’t think his decision will have much of an impact in the grand scheme of things.

I’d also say that in the moment, I don’t think Sami would be thinking about the consequences of his decision. It would be devastating to be asked to do this and it’s going to be hard to think of anything other than what it means for you. 

I don’t think you’re wrong to feel the way you do, but similarly, I find it difficult to feel anything other than sympathy towards Zayn. 

Posted
3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I assume it's probably a bit more nuanced than a 50% pay cut too. Maybe he's now got a lighter schedule or they offered him company shares or something. 

Or they just said take a cut or you're getting released.

They have that bucket system I always see videos online of too so you’d think the threshold is lower now for them to earn more incentivised earnings. Instead of earning anything over £2m in bonuses and merch etc they only have to reach £1m to get in to the incentives if their wages are halved from £2m to £1m for instance.

I suppose it’s a bit like football teams trying to restructure older players contracts apart from the older players in this scenario are still on top and it’s not just older workers at the end of their contracts being asked to lose wages. It’s shitty WWE/TKO practice. Hopefully it comes back to bite them in the arse.

Posted
7 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I keep seeing "easier schedule" mentioned. I don't keep up with WWE anymore(or as much as I used to , anyway), but is that a thing anymore? How many of what used be called House Shows do they do these days? Thats a genuine question, by the way, as while I have no idea I'm sure it's a now a long way from the infamous "Killer Kalander" days where hey were worked into the ground. Is AEW that much an easier schedule these days? Even doing a Cody Rhodes or Matt Cardona and rinsing the indie circuit, I'd think you'd be working more often than not to make the same amount of money you would wrestling for modern day WWE(although I suppose the potential for making cash from merch offsets it a bit).

They've got 6 house shows in July and 7 in August and another 6 so far in September.  So, yes a lot less than they used to, but still more shows than AEW.  But as someone else pointed out, with so many less actual matches per show, the big stars are probably wrestling a lot less often in WWE than AEW.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, The Dart said:

They've got 6 house shows in July and 7 in August and another 6 so far in September.  So, yes a lot less than they used to, but still more shows than AEW.  But as someone else pointed out, with so many less actual matches per show, the big stars are probably wrestling a lot less often in WWE than AEW.

I’d also say there’s something to be said for the suggestion that the WWE-style is probably easier on the body. In AEW, even meaningless matches on Dynamite are intense, fast-paced and often long, whereas that isn’t the case in WWE. It’s something you’d surely have to take into account if you were thinking about jumping ship.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 7/6/2026 at 8:48 AM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

He doesn't seem the type to have pissed his money away and 17 years in WWE can't have paid peanuts. 

He's been saving since he signed with them. He was always very astute when it came to money and doesn't (seem to) have any vices like gambling, partying, drug addictions, painkillers, etc. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
15 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

He's been saving since he signed with them. He was always very astute when it came to money and doesn't (seem to) have any vices like gambling, partying, drug addictions, painkillers, etc. 

The only possible thing that will have cost him money is the ginger hair dye. I know he's a ginger but they extra gingered him something rotten over the years. If he had to pay for it all himself he is probably penniless. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

The Dark Order have re-signed with AEW which is surprising as they've all done basically nothing for years now. 

It'd be nice if John Silver could one day get a push but I'm guessing that'll never happen. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...