Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I always find Sammy Guevara in AEW a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Did he fail to get over on his own because Tony Khan couldn't stop putting him in factions every 10 minutes? Or did Tony Khan keep putting him in factions every 10 minutes because he couldn't get over on his own?

He peaked ridiculously early in his AEW run. He was really good fun in the Inner Circle - he's great in the first Stadium Stampede and I think him getting hit with the golf buggy on an early Dyno is a genuinely underrated moment in terms of AEW setting its stall out early that you're gonna see things here that you won't see elsewhere. But then it became increasingly obvious that 'lackey' or 'sidekick' was his ceiling / the only character he could convincingly play, and then they just redid 'Jerichos whipping boy / member of faction' over and over again to ever decreasing returns until he just had no value left whatsoever. 

I could see him doing well in TNA.

I think that's fair. He did have his moments and he can go but he hit his ceiling very early and there just isn't that much more there. There's never been anyone in AEW that I've ever thought "I'd like to see him work with Sammy". He's just not that guy. He was useful originally but so many people went past him that he slipped further and further back. 

Someone mentioned recently an idea of inter-gender titles. That's the only scenario in which I'd be interested to see him and Tay Melo working. They'd be useful in that division.

I think he's flashy enough that in a new environment, people who haven't seen him before will get excited by him. It's hard to convince yourself he's going to be anything special beyond that though, not in a company who have done so little with the infinitely more talented Rey Fenix. 

Edited by tiger_rick
Posted
30 minutes ago, FTR2020 said:

I also think a heel stable with Cody as the leader with Ricky Saints, Ethan Page and Sammy Guevara in his group would be really good. 

Cody deserves better.

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I read that. I don't know the reasoning because I don't know what plans they had that maybe didn't happen or what value they place in her anyway but I don't think it's fair to criticise a company that signs contracts in good faith and honours them. They pay as agreed and they let them work outside dates and ventures. In this instance, I think "don't sign a contract you don't want to honour" is a fair response.

Which is a reasonable take and probably their logic, but given the finite nature of a wrestling career, I have sympathy for Tay Melo. When she signed the contract she was almost certainly a regular on TV, now she’s not. I can understand completely why you might want to go. But like you say, there’s every chance Tony Khan told her he did have plans for her, and she was content to stay. There’s not a huge amount of context in what Alvarez has said. 

I still think that there’s little point in keeping someone you aren’t using though, particularly if it’s not going to affect your plans. They’ve moved on from the days in which Melo was an invaluable member of the women’s roster, the quality of wrestler in that division is so high now that it’s difficult to see where she fits in.
 

  • Paid Members
Posted
31 minutes ago, FTR2020 said:

think Sammy could do with a change of environment and I think HBK would see a lot of himself in Sammy and probably push him properly. 

In what way would HBK see himself in Sammy other than he was an annoying little twerp back in the day (but had the talent to back it up)

 

32 minutes ago, FTR2020 said:

Sammy is a great wrestler

IMG_1071.jpeg.67e526f216a25eb76c1ba062b794385a.jpeg

33 minutes ago, FTR2020 said:

also think a heel stable with Cody as the leader with Ricky Saints, Ethan Page and Sammy Guevara in his group would be really good. 

They can all take it in turns holding Cody’s bags. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

there's nothing Sammy does that somebody in AEW doesn't do better. There are better high-flyers, better wrestlers, smarmier heels, far better babyfaces, and while in WWE he would have youth on his side, he's not notably young for an AEW wrestler, half the wrestlers in and around the main event are his age or younger.

Basically, once you have a Kyle Fletcher, what do you need a Sammy Guevara for?

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

 

Basically, once you have a Kyle Fletcher, what do you need a Sammy Guevara for?

I always think that Nick Wayne is in a similar mould to Sammy Guevara, and when Nick bloody Wayne has more upside than you it's probably time to move on. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Posting again but can't resist some Guevara-bashing.

The only reason he ever got any kind of significant role even in the early days of AEW (when the roster was clearly weaker from a national star-power front) was because Jericho took a shine to him and personally requested him for his faction.

On night one he was the guy in the panda hat jobbing for Kip Sabian (and I like Kip...) in the pre-show opener.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I never got over the fact that Mercedes Moné came into a company where one of her co-workers had publicly joked about raping her.

Even if we assume that they had some type of meeting where he apologised, how on Earth do you move on from that and pretend everything is totally normal and okay?

Sammy’s a wildly limited performer who hit his ceiling years ago and never once showed a single glimpse of improving or developing. Combine that with him sounding like a complete dickhead to deal with, I’d roll out the red carpet to send him to NXT.

His NXT name can be Goodwin Riddance.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Someone mentioned recently an idea of inter-gender titles. That's the only scenario in which I'd be interested to see him and Tay Melo working. They'd be useful in that division.

I think he's flashy enough that in a new environment, people who haven't seen him before will get excited by him. It's hard to convince yourself he's going to be anything special beyond that though, not in a company who have done so little with the infinitely more talented Rey Fenix. 

That was me! They were pretty terrible as a duo when they tried to run with that before though, so I’m not sure I’d advocate for that!

As far as the new environment goes, WWE doesn’t have many Dolph Ziggker/Kofi Kingston level wrestlers right now who can actually wrestle well. Sami is also solid on the mic, which would set him apart from the likes of Fenix, Austin Theory and Baron Corbin. The WWE mid card is pretty weak right now, and I’d have to imagine he’d have a better chance of being featured there than he does in AEW.

Like you say, I can’t imagine he’d be anything special, but he doesn’t really need to be either. There’s a gap they have in the midcard, he can fill it. He can pad out the occasional Money in the Bank or Elimination Chamber match, and I’m sure he’ll be happy with his lot if that’s how he’s used. It surely beats working in ROH.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

No he absolutely is not.

To clarify, ‘solid’ doesn’t mean good. But is he good enough to deliver a scripted WWE promo? Absolutely. Heck, he’s Eddie Kingston compared to the likes of Austin Theory, JD McDonagh or Baron Corbin. He’d be perfectly fine in that environment. 

Edited by RedTwoster
Posted (edited)

I wouldn’t be against them giving him a chance in NXT. Sometimes it’s just a case of people find the right environment that works for them. Toni Storm is a prime example of that once she started doing the Timeless gimmick. While I’m not a fan of her myself, I can’t deny that she’s found something that works for her and is over with other people, and she may not have ever got the chance to show that had she stayed in WWE, she’d have probably still been Toni ‘I love Mötley Crüe me’ Storm forever.

While Sammy Guevara is 32, he’s still got plenty of years left in him, and giving him a shot in NXT for a year wouldn’t do any harm. In that time he could stumble onto something that works, or the whole experience could fall on its face. And if it does then you can cut bait and let him try somewhere else, they’re not going to be any worse off for giving him an opportunity 

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, RedTwoster said:

That was me! They were pretty terrible as a duo when they tried to run with that before though, so I’m not sure I’d advocate for that!

Sorry, forgot who said it. And yeah, they weren't great. They had Seth & Becky chemistry. But if that was a division, they'd be a natural team to build with. 

Posted
4 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Cody deserves better.

Who would you put in a heel stable with Cody then?

 

4 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

In what way would HBK see himself in Sammy other than he was an annoying little twerp back in the day (but had the talent to back it up)

 

IMG_1071.jpeg.67e526f216a25eb76c1ba062b794385a.jpeg

They can all take it in turns holding Cody’s bags. 

Yeah basically that. A cocky, annoying heel. Sammy is a good wrestler. He aint up there with Will Ospreay etc but he has had some great matches in my opinion but that is just my opinion and that is just subjective.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...