• Paid Members

My local childhood chippy. Found a black hair in my chips when I was about 14 and the owner said it was one of mine so he wouldn't replace them. My hair is light brown!

Haven't been for about 20 years. To be fair, if it happened now I'd just remove the hair and carry on eating, but I was a kid and he was a cunt, so he can get fucked.

His scallops were amazing too.

I don't use Twitter since Elon Musk took over too, if that counts.

We boycotted Sky for many years due to Murdoch being an evil bastard.  I won't use Uber or Deliveroo because of their labour policies, and also because it's cheaper to ankle down to the takeaway yourself.

I pretty much avoid anything German as I visited a couple of times and it's boring and the food is shit.

The Coventry Evening Telegraph was banned in our house in my teenage years. My cousin got sent down for armed robbery and it was reported in the paper. 

My mum was livid about the write up. She attended court every day and thought it was going well for my cousin (he pleaded guilty, didn’t actually hold any of the guns used, was the lookout etc) but because the other guys skipped town he was the only one who got caught. Anyway, the write up was your typical local court reporting, just the facts of the case and sentencing from a very neutral perspective. 

So my mum went to the offices and demanded to speak to the reporter, she gave him a hard time about how his write up wasn’t fair (it was) and it was biased (it wasn’t) and painted my cousin in a bad light (despite him pleading guilty to armed robbery and, y’know, actually doing it). The reporter said it was his job to report just facts, which he did, but that wasn’t good enough for my mental mum. 

Of course, my aunt carried on buying it shortly after and I used to send the sister sport publication “The Pink” to him in Winson Green. My mum had a habit of backing the wrong horse and being too stubborn to back down even if they’re wrong and trenchantly stick to their guns. Thankfully that trait hasn’t been passed on to future generations. 

• Paid Members

My mum boycotted Burnage Food Store when I was a kid because they charged her new potato prices for some King Edwards and got into a row about it. She used to send me instead. One time I went in and the owner was asleep behind the counter.

I’ve boycotted any kind of non budget brand toilet paper due to females and children not knowing what an appropriate amount of toilet paper is to use resulting in blocked toilets and increased shopping bills.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

My mum boycotted Burnage Food Store when I was a kid because they charged her new potato prices for some King Edwards and got into a row about it. She used to send me instead. One time I went in and the owner was asleep behind the counter.

As a follow-up to this, I did a Google search and found this:-

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/droppings-found-in-burnage-shop-947966

A SHOPKEEPER has been fined after environmental health inspectors found mice droppings on his chocolate bars.

Inayat Ullah, the owner of the Burnage Food Store, was fined £7,500 and ordered to pay £1,673 in costs when he appeared at Manchester Magistrates Court.

The 73-year-old had already pleaded guilty to five offences under the Food Hygiene (England) Regulations.

Coun Neil Swannick, Manchester City Council’s executive member for the environment said after the hearing: "We will not tolerate businesses that blatantly flout hygiene regulations and will not hesitate to prosecute where a business is clearly putting the health of members of the public at risk.

"The level of fine imposed by the court clearly supports the strong line taken by the City Council, in cases such as these."

A Manchester City Council environmental health public protection officer visited the Burnage Lane store on July 3 last year following a complaint about an unrelated matter. While he was there, the officer noticed there were mouse droppings and urine throughout the store, particularly on dry goods such as biscuits and chocolate bars.

Some of the chocolate bars had been partially eaten by mice, wrappers had been gnawed through and there were visible bite marks.

There were also other hygiene problems including food debris underneath or behind equipment and fridges in a dirty state.

The officer ordered Mr Ullah to shut the store while it was cleaned, treated the infestation and emptied of contaminated stock. Mr Ullah, of Burnage Hall Lane, was allowed to reopen the store on July 9.

Yeah, it was that bad. The milk fridges were about 30% bottles of milk and 70% cheese deposits from old bottles.

Mr. Ullah was a big fan of eating his lunch when he was serving, too, and would often be wearing about half of it. He was pretty much blind. He had this van that was about 40 years old and he used to drive it about 5mph because he couldn't see shit and you could hear it coming down the road from half a mile away as it probably hadn't had its MOT since Vietnam.

A local cafe because they let a Tory councillor hold his surgeries there. My son now goes in there when he's out with his friends and even though it's technically my money he's spending I don't consider it breaking the boycott. He's slowly coming to realise what the Tories are but I think the quality of their toasties and milkshakes will be hard to get past for him. 

Halfords garages but not their retail store. The garages are made up mostly of old National or smaller tyres and brakes chains. Their customer service is horrendous and they also regularly lie to customers and double down when caught out. The retails stores tend to have very helpful staff and because my current car has fiddly headlamps and brake lights I've used their fitting service, which was very quick.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Walked back, publicly apologised;

https://www.aclu.org/news/lgbtq-rights/rupauls-drag-race-finale-drag-defense-fund

and featured all different flavours of contestant since then; trans, non-binary, straight, fem presenting and masc presenting. 

Can't speak about the fracking but the trans stuff has been put to bed. 

Fair enough, missed that. Thanks!

Just newspapers for me. I'll never buy or real the Daily Mail for obvious reasons, same goes for The Sun, Express and Telegraph. That said, although my decision to avoid these publications extends to their websites, I couldn't even tell you when I last bought a newspaper of any form.

• Moderators

Same for me. I don't buy or read newspapers anyway but will always try to avoid giving clicks to those publications, and if I'm looking for a source to share on a topic will go out of my way to avoid sharing links to them.

I didn't even think of it until you mentioned it because I've been doing it out of habit for so long..

Edited by Chest Rockwell