• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Nexus said:

Wetherspoons - don't care how cheap it is, don't care how filling it is, Tim Martin is a Brexit supporting cunt and from the day the vote came in, I vowed to never step foot in again. 

Brewdog - the sexual inappropriateness, toxic culture and now living wage nonsense is enough for me. Plenty of other decent IPA manufacturers who are yet to be cunts.

Byron Burger - The immigration raid fake meeting - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/28/it-was-a-fake-meeting-byron-hamburgers-staff-on-immigration-raid. Go fuck yourselves, shitheads. 

Yes to these - with Wetherspoons, for me, the last straw wasn't so much the Brexit stuff as making their staff (many of whom were from the EU) to put out propaganda arguing against their rights to be here. Utterly horrendous thing to do.

Also, as a few noted, WWE - the final straw, for me, were the Saudi shows, because of the propaganda videos they were doing, straight after the Kashoggi murder. Between that and the Trump connections, I just felt I was supporting something that was making the world actively worse (especially as it wasn't long after I'd gone to the NXT show at the Royal Albert Hall).

• Paid Members

Newspapers are the main ones for me; my Dad always instilled in me to never read The Sun, and I'll extend that to the Mail and the Express, including their websites. There's also a local newspaper in Jersey I stopped buying because of how it handled multiple issues, but mostly a combination of it being co-owned by a senior politician who made sure that serious allegations against him went unreported, and when they plastered a story about the death of a friend of mine all over the front page despite being specifically asked not to by her parents. 

My partner has a long-running Nestlé boycott going, so I do my best to keep that up. I think I've mentioned on here before, but when I was in college my Marketing lecturer had a poster on his office wall of a billboard Photoshopped to say "Nestlé: Just Try And Boycott Us, We Make Everything", so that makes it tougher than it should be. When it comes to big mega-corporations, I don't do as much as I should. It's tough when everything ends up owned by, or invested in by, the same small handful of big companies, and I'm just too lazy to keep track of it all. For a time, I tried to not buy any products that contained Palm Oil, but it's in fucking everything.

There are people, bands, and organisations in the entertainment field that I won't give my money to - off the top of my head, I can remember that I donated the cost of my tickets to a John Cooper Clarke gig a while back to a trans rights charity because he told a bunch of shitty transphobic jokes at his gig the night before.

Aldi's sourdough crumpets are great, but then I have Marmite and peanut butter on them so what do I know.. maybe we need a Crumpet/Bread thread.

Back on topic, only just saw that Burger King are also giving food to IDF soldiers so they can get fucked, too. I bloody love their vegan Whoppers too..

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Aldi's sourdough crumpets are great, but then I have Marmite and peanut butter on them so what do I know.. maybe we need a Crumpet/Bread thread.

Back on topic, only just saw that Burger King are also giving food to IDF soldiers so they can get fucked, too. I bloody love their vegan Whoppers too..

if it helps they just stopped selling the Vegan Whopper and replaced it with the ULTIMATE bean burger (now with Mushroom) meaning it's extremely easy for me to boycott them.

The Sun. It'll sound weird that I wouldn't have known before hand but I never actually knew that much detail about Hillsborough until living in Liverpool and understanding how horrible the smear campaign was and never have since, though I just don't buy newspapers anymore anyway.

Nothing else really, places like Brewdog etc I'd avoid because there isn't a product they sell that I'd buy, but they're twats so I just wouldn't give them anything.

Don't boycott much else due to probably being too poor to afford an alternative to what I need or I simply forget because I'm morally corrupt and usually distracted by other things. 

16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

if it helps they just stopped selling the Vegan Whopper and replaced it with the ULTIMATE bean burger (now with Mushroom) meaning it's extremely easy for me to boycott them.

They're selling both here, but the bean thing is for a limited time.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

They're selling both here, but the bean thing is for a limited time.

The Whopper locally has stopped, but I've seen various reports saying that once stock has run out thats it, they are no longer buying it from the manufacture which also explains why they stopped the La Vie bacon options recently as well. Even Taco Bell have removed their recently introduced plant protein the bastards.

Anyway, other than The Sun and WWE (which since Ashley scandal i have paid no money towards), I boycott things with Sean Bean in. Can't stand the guy for various reasons so try to avoid anything hes in, even to not watching Game of Thrones 

Spoiler

and i know how long he is in it for.

I have boycotted Sodastream as well after finding out who they were. I still have my machine which i bought a long time ago, but buy third party parts and don't use their syrups.

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Anyway, other than The Sun and WWE (which since Ashley scandal i have paid no money towards

But you still watch it though, not really sure that classes as a boycott to be fair. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But you still watch it though, not really sure that classes as a boycott to be fair. 

Fair point, I watch with my free BT sports sub, and not even weekly. So it depends on what you want from a boycott. The thing exists whether it is watched or not (if wrestlemania happens in an empty forest with no one around, is it still a wrestling event?). If i help fund it, merch, t-shirts, tickets, network subscriptions I help it continue to make money. And surely the point of an effective boycott is if it is financial, as that where it really hurts?  

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So it depends on what you want from a boycott.

Obviously it’s a personal thing, and I agree with you when it’s part of the package you aren’t paying for it directly. Many people who have Sky for instance don’t like the hypocrisy and sportswashing of F1 so they don’t watch it. But to me, a boycott is a total ban of something you buy, watch, or use etc (Such as me boycotting Rolls Royce or Aston Martin isn’t really a boycott as I’ve never owned and will never own one of their cars). 
There’s an argument to be made about contributing to something by watching it, thus adding to its value for advertisers which, let’s be honest, is where effective boycotts work best, but that’s a bit much in my opinion. 

Someone could leave a copy of The Sun in a workplace canteen for example, but someone who boycotts The Sun wouldn’t read it, despite not paying to read it, if that makes sense?

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Obviously it’s a personal thing, and I agree with you when it’s part of the package you aren’t paying for it directly. Many people who have Sky for instance don’t like the hypocrisy and sportswashing of F1 so they don’t watch it. But to me, a boycott is a total ban of something you buy, watch, or use etc (Such as me boycotting Rolls Royce or Aston Martin isn’t really a boycott as I’ve never owned and will never own one of their cars). 
There’s an argument to be made about contributing to something by watching it, thus adding to its value for advertisers which, let’s be honest, is where effective boycotts work best, but that’s a bit much in my opinion. 

Someone could leave a copy of The Sun in a workplace canteen for example, but someone who boycotts The Sun wouldn’t read it, despite not paying to read it, if that makes sense?

I get it. But I boycott meat and still shop in Supermarkets, I guess it’s where you draw the line.

The advertising thing doesn’t work because TV ratings aren’t gathered by your set top box, just those giving their diary and told to write what they watch when. Or at least I know that’s how the radio ratings are still compiled 

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I get it. But I boycott meat and still shop in Supermarkets, I guess it’s where you draw the line.

I don’t think that analogy works. If you’re boycotting a particular supermarket it does, or going full Morrissey and avoiding anywhere that sells meat, but not buying a particular type of product a supermarket carries is a boycott. A particular brand of that product, yes. 

7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The advertising thing doesn’t work because TV ratings aren’t gathered by your set top box, just those giving their diary and told to write what they watch when. Or at least I know that’s how the radio ratings are still compiled 

TV stations and streaming services /apps know exactly how valuable and popular a show is. And more importantly so do advertisers. It’s not all about BARB these days, other indicators are at play.