4 hours ago, LCJ said:

I do wonder if social media and smartphones been a thing twenty to thirty years ago, whether more of this kind of thing would’ve been exposed by footballers over the years. Like this kind of thing has probably happened multiple times, it’s just now a lot more people find out about it.

I’d say the fact that blokes are incrementally more enlightened now than 30 years ago and there were virtually no consequences for being an abusive twat, or rogue/playboy as they’d have been labelled back then that it would have been a lot worse back then. Especially at the height of lad culture where tricking women in to having sex with you was the publicly accepted norm as seen through most sitcoms and other forms of mainstream entertainment.

7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I’d say the fact that blokes are incrementally more enlightened now than 30 years ago and there were virtually no consequences for being an abusive twat, or rogue/playboy as they’d have been labelled back then that it would have been a lot worse back then. Especially at the height of lad culture where tricking women in to having sex with you was the publicly accepted norm as seen through most sitcoms and other forms of mainstream entertainment.

That’s fair comment. The world is a different place now. I definitely recall Stan Collymore and Gazza being in the tabloids due to beating their partners though. Gazza seems to be largely forgiven and forgotten because people think he’s a “good laugh” and he was a great player for England. Collymore not so much though.

1 hour ago, LCJ said:

Gazza seems to be largely forgiven and forgotten because people think he’s a “good laugh” and he was a great player for England.

I don't think that's true at all.

He's one of my footballing heroes but he has done abhorrent things to another human being and that's never forgotten and I'd say a large amount of people feel the same from what I read/see/hear.

I think it’s accepted that Gazza is a wrong’un but gets a pass in a lot of quarters because despite being the one in the position of power and privilege due to his immense talent he’s still seen as a massively vulnerable person a side of him that he shows as much as the fun loving piss head side.

Obviously he’s just a sad shell of a man now but I don’t think it ever came across as he carried out his wrong doings because he was a rich celebrity but more so because he was a broken person. We’ve somewhat lost that nuance these days (although it’s still pretty prevalent in many many cases like Depp and Heard) in favour of victim sympathy, which is 100% the correct move.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I don't think that's true at all.

He's one of my footballing heroes but he has done abhorrent things to another human being and that's never forgotten and I'd say a large amount of people feel the same from what I read/see/hear.

I don’t really agree. If you compare Collymore and Gazza, one of them has always been looked upon fondly while the other hasn’t. Gazza gets way more leniency for his numerous actions, and his addictions are always held up as an excuse and not an explanation. 

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I don’t really agree. If you compare Collymore and Gazza, one of them has always been looked upon fondly while the other hasn’t. Gazza gets way more leniency for his numerous actions, and his addictions are always held up as an excuse and not an explanation. 

Yeah, I'm not disputing he gets more leniency than say someone like Collymore, but rather that his behaviour does get remembered and "called out" or whatever. 

Different kettle of fish aren't they? One scored two of the greatest goals Wembley has ever seen and the other was in Basic Instinct 2 soooooo......

6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah, I'm not disputing he gets more leniency than say someone like Collymore, but rather that his behaviour does get remembered and "called out" or whatever

But much like a favoured wrestler, it’s always met with rolled eyes. 

• Paid Members
On 1/10/2024 at 8:18 PM, Scratch said:

I also Boycott Geoffrey.

What did I do? 

• Paid Members

I forgot, I also boycotted the Qatar world cup because I was so angry about the lack of backbone shown regarding the rainbow armbands - the bare minimum and they couldn't even manage it. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I forgot, I also boycotted the Qatar world cup because I was so angry about the lack of backbone shown regarding the rainbow armbands - the bare minimum and they couldn't even manage it. 

It was a good warning for what a gutless prick Jordan Henderson would show himself to be, at least.

6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It was a good warning for what a gutless prick Jordan Henderson would show himself to be, at least.

Hey now, come on. He's spent 6 months over there educating them, and now he's off to warn the Dutch about the dangers of gateway drugs.

The captain of captains.

38 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Yep, and the migrant workers/ slaves getting killed. Trust me to not watch the one where Argentina win. I was gutted on the train back to Buenos Aires. 

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, it needs to be noted that they are still making huge profits, just not as much as they thought they would. The article also mentions the decline in sales for Bud Light, which was also boycotted by people who buy Kid Rock albums.