Dr. Alan Grant Posted November 21, 2024 Posted November 21, 2024 25 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Is he actually wrestling, as to be honest, I'd wanna watch that. Against QT Marshall on the Full Gear zero hour. He will be bringing the boom. And there’s no Jericho on the card, so at least there will be no doom. Fuck me, I need to stop following these Costco guys. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted November 21, 2024 Posted November 21, 2024 (edited) 45 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Is he actually wrestling, as to be honest, I'd wanna watch that. Yeah, he's wrestling QT Marshall, this Saturday, November 23, on the AEW Full Gear Zero Hour, in New Jersey's Prudential Center. Edited November 21, 2024 by SaitoRyo Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted November 21, 2024 Members Posted November 21, 2024 Thanks. They really should be fighting in a Costco though. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted November 21, 2024 Posted November 21, 2024 17 hours ago, Supremo said: We should have known it would happen eventually. We should have charted it. One day, in the not-so-distant-future, Dynamite would get so cold and uninteresting that Chris Jericho would have the best segment on the show. It finally happened. Today was that day. This was that show. An inspired segment. A great segment, and the exact kind of thing that won’t get as good a reaction the next time, because you know full well they run it into the ground by the time they do another Jericho/Ishii match (ROH Final Battle?) Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted November 21, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 21, 2024 46 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said: Yeah, he's wrestling QT Marshall, this Saturday, November 23, on the AEW Full Gear Zero Hour, in New Jersey's Prudential Center. And he’ll be hitting QT with the power boom. He used to wrestle years ago apparently. But he must’ve watched Weird Weekends and got that great promo abaility from our own Waldo. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted November 21, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 21, 2024 Bloody Hell, AEW have been going hard with heel factions recently. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted November 21, 2024 Awards Moderator Posted November 21, 2024 (edited) I don’t think I’ve missed an AEW PPV since before the pandemic, but I didn’t get a chance to see Wrestledream due to being on holiday, and didn’t feel like I’d missed much. I’m not even on holiday this weekend but if I don’t get time to watch Full Gear I won’t be bothered. As everyone else has said, AEW is just so cold and uninteresting right now. I wondered, from seeing how many posts this thread got today, whether they’d done something to really get people excited for the PPV - maybe find a way to heat up Moxley vs OC to the level of their All Out 2023 match. No such luck. On the rest of the card, Perry/Garcia’s done nothing for me, the tag team four way would be fun on Collision but doesn’t scream PPV, can’t be having with Mone or MJF thanks, I’ve already seen Ospreay and Fletcher this year, Hangman facing White again feels like deliberately cooling him off, Swerve and Lashley shouldn’t feel like cooling Swerve off but still does, and I don’t have any reason to be fussed about Mina Shirakawa. Might be the first time ever that no part of the PPV holds any interest for me. Edited November 22, 2024 by HarmonicGenerator Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted November 21, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 21, 2024 Clearly I picked an absolutely wonderful time to watch AEW! I was wondering how people who actually watch AEW week in, week out would take this show and whether me thinking it was almost uniquely awful was just because I don't watch their TV, but it seems the reaction is universal. I like a good clusterfuck tag match but the opener didn't get started at all. Hobbs got absolutely no reaction and while Ospreay fired the crowd up a bit, having him do so much stuff with Fletcher ahead of their PPV match was amazingly stupid. First time I've seen Mark Davis and hopefully the last. Takeshita is completely wasted as usual but Archer looked decent. The Death Riders (I really hate typing that) backstage promo was Moxley trying to convince us that Orange Cassidy is a snake. The most easily likeable person in the company. Then Castagnoli turned it into a comedy segment. Jesus christ this whole thing is the shits. Then out came Adam Cole, who had obviously spent the last week taking a bath in a pool of melted yellow Crayola. Perhaps my favourite moment of the night was Kyle O'Reilly coming out and saying "hey, this is where we had our second match ever!" Wow that's nuts, Kyle. The Orange Cassidy promo was fine, I guess, but I just think that the route they're taking here is not going to do anything for him or anyone else. I do like him but I think he's better off slightly lower down the card rather than having to tweak his act to work with Moxley. The crowd actually seemed to care about Statlander and Shida, which was a decent match although I generally don't like all babyface matches. The post-match was so bloody awful that I even felt sorry for Kamille. For about 4 seconds. Debuting Lashley and announcing it on the night? And then finding fucking Cheeseburger to do half the job? Congratulations Tony, now you've made the Hurt Syndicate look stupid and shit, too. We had a good few weeks there though. Castagnoli beating Darby Allin clean after murdering him for the whole match - I mean, someone is going to have to explain that one to me. I don't even like Allin that much but there's not one iota of logic to this at all. As an extended squash it worked - but that's not what this should have been! The MJF videos continue to be absolutely appalling. The Roddy Riposte was alright but he's completely unbelievable as a babyface and I just don't buy it one bit. I had no idea who Big Boom AJ and Big Justice were before I read this thread and I hate that I now have some idea. You're all blocked. Then Daniel Garcia and Daddy Magic (awful all night on commentary, again) tied up Jack Perry in a warehouse and it went nowhere and was completely pointless. Oh Daniel. What are they doing to you. Lexis King was beckoning. You could have had it all. Jericho and Ishii was finely scripted comedy that I could not enjoy one bit because I just detest Jericho's very existence and everything about him. The Julia Hart video was very good! But can we have a reason for them? Why's she going back to a group she never even left in the first place? I bet RJ City is behind these videos, though. The Cassidy - Wheeler Yuta match was just above mediocre but the after match stuff astonishingly crap. The worst part about this is that I don't really want to watch the PPV now. And I almost always watch them and usually enjoy them. Unlike @Supremo, I didn't even get a chance to become a sicko before getting better Shocking telly, this. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted November 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 22, 2024 40 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: The Orange Cassidy promo was fine, I guess, but I just think that the route they're taking here is not going to do anything for him or anyone else. I do like him but I think he's better off slightly lower down the card rather than having to tweak his act to work with Moxley. The most annoying thing is that their first feud, when Moxley took the International Title off him, was absolutely fucking ace. One of AEW's all-time dramatic matches. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted November 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 22, 2024 7 hours ago, Chris B said: The most annoying thing is that their first feud, when Moxley took the International Title off him, was absolutely fucking ace. One of AEW's all-time dramatic matches. Goddamn that OC title story was so good. One of the best stories of the past decade. Genius in it's simplicity and that Mox match was the perfect ending for it. I have no idea what the story for this upcoming Full Gear match is though it's so messy. I think if anything the World title dilutes the story. There's too much going on! 8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: Castagnoli beating Darby Allin clean after murdering him for the whole match - I mean, someone is going to have to explain that one to me. I don't even like Allin that much but there's not one iota of logic to this at all. I dunno', big massive bloke renowned for years for being insanely strong just absolutely merking a skinny little guy seems pretty logical to me. But assuming you mean logic from a story perspective the way I see it is the story is that Darby wants to get to Moxley but there's now a massive hurdle in the way - Claudio. Claudio smashed him this time but Darby is going to come back over and over until eventually conquering that mountain to get to Mox. I don't think Darby was hurt by losing this match. As for the match itself - I thought it was excellent. It should have been the main event of the show! Wheeler Yuta should never be in the main event of a wrestling show ever. Neither OC or Yuta gained anything from this match and they could have easily done the ending angle without it. In fact, AEW has a tendency to book matches to get themselves to a story point when sometimes they should sit back and think "what story points are we trying to deliver here and do we need a match to do it?". Also sometimes I don't think AEW go far enough. Bobby Lashley had a 2 on 1 match - why not a 3 or 4 on 1? They shouldn't be afraid to go a bit mental with stuff. Lashley murdering a bunch of guys rather than just two would have been way cooler. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted November 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 22, 2024 On reflection, I think they made a mistake not putting Moxley against a much bigger name in his first title defence. If they’d gone straight in with Swerve, for example, you’d have someone who you know will equal the levels of violence and brutality that Moxley brings to the table, and a blockbuster match right away. By having a top name like that go after Moxley, you also immediately establish the threat he poses to everyone. I think a match against OC works better later on in Moxley’s title reign; when it feels like he might actually lose the belt, and you can play on their history a bit more. As it stands, it’s simply not the right match. It’s such a shame, because the Moxley storyline has - or had - enormous potential, and could have been the spark needed to wake the company up. Quote
Guest Posted November 22, 2024 Posted November 22, 2024 19 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: Goddamn that OC title story was so good. One of the best stories of the past decade. Genius in it's simplicity and that Mox match was the perfect ending for it. I have no idea what the story for this upcoming Full Gear match is though it's so messy. I think if anything the World title dilutes the story. There's too much going on! I dunno', big massive bloke renowned for years for being insanely strong just absolutely merking a skinny little guy seems pretty logical to me. But assuming you mean logic from a story perspective the way I see it is the story is that Darby wants to get to Moxley but there's now a massive hurdle in the way - Claudio. Claudio smashed him this time but Darby is going to come back over and over until eventually conquering that mountain to get to Mox. I don't think Darby was hurt by losing this match. Sure this is deliberate, but I suspect this also plays a part. They don't want to have Darby be the next guy to challenge Mox, because he's going to head off and climb Everest soon, so they're sticking some hurdles in his way. Plus getting Claudio more over as their heater isn't a bad idea. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted November 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 22, 2024 1 hour ago, LaGoosh said: I dunno', big massive bloke renowned for years for being insanely strong just absolutely merking a skinny little guy seems pretty logical to me. But assuming you mean logic from a story perspective the way I see it is the story is that Darby wants to get to Moxley but there's now a massive hurdle in the way - Claudio. Claudio smashed him this time but Darby is going to come back over and over until eventually conquering that mountain to get to Mox. I don't think Darby was hurt by losing this match. I'm just not a fan of a storyline where a guy who's being lined up as the next world champion a few months down the line is beaten clean and with almost no offence by the world champ's sidekick. I think it's about the worst way to tell this story they could have found. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted November 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 22, 2024 (edited) If they don't use this loss as a way for Darby to "level up" then I'll agree with you. For now, I'm happy to see where it goes. At the very least we'll get plenty of Claudio throwing Darby around like a rag doll and Darby bumping like a maniac which is always fun. Edited November 22, 2024 by LaGoosh Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.