Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
22 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Imagine how confused young Lorne was when, after starting watching wrestling during the Attitude Era and strictly WWF only, Ric Flair walked out in 2001 and was presented as a huge deal and one of the best wrestlers of all time. I had a hard time believing anyone who looked like my Nan could be that good.

I felt that in 92 when I first got into wrestling. Here I was seeing Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Legion of Doom, Sid Justice, The Undertaker....and then this comparatively small, regular looking old guy with white hair wins the Royal Rumble!? 

10 year old me, who knew nothing about Flair's history, thought that was ridiculous. I remember in the playground the next day a bunch of us were like 'The old guy won??'. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Those people in the arena didn't seem to give a shit about anything on that show and AEW did even less to try and make them care. When you consider that that was the go home for a PPV then it gets when worse. I don't think I will even try to find a stream of the PPV. Thoroughly depressing wrestling TV. I think I might go and watch all the matches of Dolph Ziggler v Kofi Kingston to cheer myself up. 

Posted

Bit manky that show. Will definitely watch the PPV though as will anyone who will think of skipping it. Shame it feels cold and inconsistent given they had embers of some new angles going on. I hope the Continental Classic goes the way of last year by telling interesting stories through the leagues.

I'll take Jericho over MJF, Cole and The Kingdom at the moment. Fucking dead angle that I don't care about at all and they've somehow made me annoyed it'll drag Kyle O'Reilly into this given this year they've actually done a good job to make me actually like him.

I was ribbing, I've always liked WWE, I was lying about the not watching, big fan. Love me some cackling Seth the lads who can handle the grind. I'll give AEW six months.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Dreadful shit.

My lasting memory of that show will be two things - MVP saying that he had a special announcement, which turned out to be that Bobby Lashley would be wrestling on Dynamite, but doing that announcement the segment after the commentators had already mentioned that Lashley was wrestling on the show, complete with a match graphic, and the announcers leading into a segment by saying that The Conglomeration had something to say, only for it to be an Orange Cassidy promo interrupted by The Conglomeration. Comparisons to latter day WCW are always overstated, but it's what that level of careless formatting put me in mind of. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

That might have been the worst episode of Dynamite I’ve ever seen. The wrestling wasn’t bad, but the show was so uninteresting. AEW is ice-bath-taking-an-ice-bath levels of cool right now; a massive change from even a month ago, when I was enjoying Dynamite more than WWE. They’ve taken all of their good ideas and squandered them, and added a dollop of tedious to their show with the addition of Cole and friends, and continued emphasis on Mercedes Mone. And I get that, they’re paid a lot - but sometimes it’s best to cut your losses. In the longer term, more shows like this will cost them far more money than ditching the expensive dross would. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I watched the first match - it was fine. Then Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly turned up and I turned it off. Cole being bright yellow but with normal hands was so fucking terrible and weird I have no idea why they even let him on TV. 

The look and production of these shows is so bad right now. I know that Keith Mitchell (old WCW/TNA guy) left and they replaced him with an ex-WWE guy who was Kevin Dunn's second. You can certainly tell. The whole thing looks like the worst kind of cold, lifeless production WWE was when it was under Dunn's reign of terror. The worst offender being the backstage segments where people magically appear from nothingness from the sides of the screen. Awful. The presentation as a whole has no cohesive look, vibe or design.

Posted (edited)

If there's one thing worse than Adam Cole being in meaningless matches every week, it's him and Kyle O'Reilly trying to do serious drama. It's honestly like they saw loads of tweets calling WWE cinema and decided to try and one up it, totally oblivious to the gaping chasm of charisma between them and the Bloodline. If you ever need to appreciate Roman Reigns more, watch Adam Cole, looking like that time Kid Rock appeared on the Simpsons. 

But yeah, I'd generally echo the comments. I'm a big AEW fan, mostly absolutely love what they put out week to week, but this is the first week I felt like I'd wasted my time. I'm already fed up of the CostCo guys, Mark Davis isn't what this Osprey/Fletcher feud needed (though I assume he's turning on Billy so Fletcher wins, but still - who cares?) 

We've all been clamouring for the new faction to get more screen time and generally be a big part of AEW tv, so it's just weird that new faction was the conglomeration, who were on what...4 segments tonight? Weird. 

I thought all would be forgiven when they did the top down shot of a tied up Cassidy trying to swing at the death riders as they circled him. Thought they were going heavy heat to try and rekindle some of what's been squandered. But no. They just squandered some more. 

That said, nothing typified how lame duck this show felt more than the Swerve/ Hurt Syndicate stuff. Swerve jumps in and hits Lashley with a chain, which he sells like he accidentally drank a slush puppy too fast. Then there's 1 segment looking for him, then after the match Swerve hits his big kick (after decking Shelton and MVP with a chain) and before the segment is over they're all just fine. Most dangerous man in AEW is basically a 6 year old with a joy buzzer. Really weird. 

Darby vs Claudio was great though, the only thing I'd recommend going to watch. Funny to watch Darby just lose and all. 

My expectations are still high for the PPV, as I think there will be some angles and things to set things going more. but those are rational expectations, conscious "well the PPVs are always bangers" "well maybe something will happen", it's not from excitement.

I just can't imagine Mox is just going to choke out OC and then move on, you have to imagine there'll be a crucifixion or a disembowelment or something and OC can go have a rest. He's so tired, guys. He's been so tired for so long. Everyone who has a blow off match with the Death Riders should be required to take 2 months off afterward. They'll be queuing up to get a bag on their heads.

 

Edited by Duke
Posted

I'd love to go in to a PPV and be excited about it because they've done a great build. All too often it's simply because we know the PPVs generally deliver anyway but it always baffles me how terrible they are at ramping up the anticipation sometimes. You shouldn't be having one of your worst and most dull shows ever going into it. Everything should be reaching a crescendo.

Posted

I don't know anything about the CostCo guys and The Rizzler, besides the fact they have a strong online following, but that AJ guy should serve as an inspiration to independent wrestlers and, to be honest, half the AEW locker room. 

He's over, he's got catchphrases and he knows how to cut a pro-wrestling promo. Every interview I've seen him give he mentions his opponent, the date, location and show name. Proper worker. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...