Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

If I'm remembering correctly when Dynamite first debuted something in the region of 500k viewers was what was considered a good result, for the network. 

Simply having content seems to be a big deal for networks in this day and age. 

Rampage and BoTB seem to be getting the axe, but I think that has been long expected. BoTB in particular has been a complete nothing of a show outside of maybe the first one.

Most people outside of Internet bubbles and those who haven't moved on from the Monday Night Wars pay zero attention to ratings, in 2024.

If they were below what was expected then AEW would have either gotten a worse deal or just been dropped. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
Just now, The King Of Swing said:

If I'm remembering correctly when Dynamite first debuted something in the region of 500k viewers was what was considered a good result, for the network. 

Simply having content seems to be a big deal for networks in this day and age. 

Rampage and BoTB seem to be getting the axe, but I think that has been long expected. BoTB in particular has been a complete nothing of a show outside of maybe the first one.

Most people outside of Internet bubbles and those who haven't moved on from the Monday Night Wars pay zero attention to ratings, in 2024.

If they were below what was expected then AEW would have either gotten a worse deal or just been dropped. 

Important to remember BotB, Rampage and Collision were all network decisions, not Tony Khan. Any of those getting the axe are for the same reason. And that’s not to say they didn’t want to expand, but the reason they asked for BotB was because of Clash of the Champions 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Me too, Collision is very relaxing wholesome fun.

Considering the number of titles and relationships AEW has with multiple promotions there's no excuse at all for how shite the BOTB shows are. I only assume it's pure laziness on AEW's part. They've always treated them like a pointless afterthought. 

14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

The Harley Cameron Effect.

I think the Tit Off was the only time the crowd reacted all night.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Important to remember BotB, Rampage and Collision were all network decisions, not Tony Khan.  

Why is it important to remember that? It doesn't seem relevant at all. 

Edited by gmoney
  • Paid Members
Posted

I thought Collision was created to try and get some value out of the contacts of the children who couldn't play nice with the children who ran Dynamite. To be honest after Punk was gone and it became obvious that there was no humiliation that FTR wouldn't endure they could have sacked it off.

Posted
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think they drew 2 million in 2010. If you're interested then go do a deep dive on WWE ratings now and then and you'll see how TV ratings have changed and expectations. It's a massively different thing now.

Ow right. Like I said I'm not really concerned about the ratings that much. I just thought they might end up like tna if the ratings kept going down.

Posted
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Happy that they stuck with Collision. My favourite wrestling show most weeks. 

I didn't use to watch it but I do enjoy it now. They have some great matches on there. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, gmoney said:

Why is it important to remember that? It doesn't seem relevant at all. 

I think so, but mainly because it shows regardless of ratings chat the faith the network has for the brand. You don’t add my content that you then have to pay for if you don’t see value. Every time a new show was added, AEW got an increase of funds.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

The thing that’s stopping me getting invested in the Mox storyline is that he’s only super dangerous and scary for his one segment per week. If you’re not involved in those 15 minutes of the show you’re totally immune from him and have nothing to worry about. Nobody outside of the Conglomeration even mention him. Hard to consider the Death Riders a threat if they’re not one to 90% of the roster. And it doesn’t work having Mox talking about rebuilding AEW when he isn’t fussed about Swerve or Hangman or MJF or the Hurt Syndicate or House of Black or Switchblade or any of the women or Ospreay or Takeshita or Jericho or …

I know the flip side of that is them ruining every segment and it gets a bit nWo overkill style, but a few of the other wrestlers maybe referencing the World Champion being an out of control madman wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Posted

Having Marina actually pick a fight with one of the women would at least be something.

While I'm here. I actually like the idea of Mariah May defending her title on Collision but not even bothering to feature her on Dynamite is baffling to me. 

All the top champions should be getting airtime. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

In the past week I've only just got caught up on Wrestle Dream and all the Dynamites up to now (had to skip Rampage/Collision or I was never going to be able to do it before Full Gear). May be long but I'll try to keep it bullet pointy:

- Danielson winning the belt was a mistake considering where it has left us now.  Hangman should have interfered to keep Swerve as Champ, so that he could have been the one to take it from him in the cage match. Double heat for Page. 

- If Danielson had to win at Wembley, then Hangman beating Swerve as happened at All Out to get a shot at Danielson and then beating him at Wrestle Dream was the other option. 

- One way or another, this promotion would be in a better spot now if the best guy in the promotion (Hangman) or the company's two top baby faces (Swerve - well, before they fucked about and had him be a dickhead to Danielson - or Osprey) were currently top dog. 

-MJF reverting to being a heel was the wrong choice. However the angle with Garcia was really well done. That it has just been dropped has hurt a multitude of people - MJF, Garcia, Cole, Strong etc. Set them all back ages. Some of them (Adam Cole) will never recover - primarily because he doesn't have it. 

- Takeshita having a belt and starting actually win matches is long overdue but a definite bright spot. 

- OC is another shining light on the show at the minute. I'd prefer if the order was the other way around and it was Darby being first to the woodshed, but I'll take fired up OC against monster Moxley when I can get it. 

- PAC needs to wear some form of shorts or trousers when not wrestling. No top if he wants, but Jesus. 

- Marina Shafir is great at the minute. Absolutely have a crush on her in this role too. Maybe that makes me like Paul Giamatti in Billions, who knows. 

-Jay White is fine, but he's Randy Orton. If Hangman was defending the belt against him then I could see it as pulling Jay up. As it is, this feud is a clear step back for 'ol Hanger. 

- Private Party/Young Bucks stuff has been really well done. Bit rushed but no denying from they stepped up against The Death riders, this has been the best Private Party have ever been. I don't begrudge them the chance to see if they can become more than. JTTS. 

- Still way, way too much 50/50 in this promotion. Swerve going toe to toe with Lio Rush is mind boggling. 

- The Hurt Syndicate look the business, interested to see how they book Swerve Vs Lashley. MVP's group could do with adding a new face that allows it to not be a full retread of WWE. As long as it's not. . .

- Rick O'Shea. Hate him. Just cannot, cannot see him as anything but a vanilla charisma vacuum. Sooner Takeshita knocks his block off the better. 

- I'm sure they are on Collision, but in about five weeks worth of Dynamite I don't think I saw any of the youngest men alive, Mortos (don't get me started on him losing at the PPV to Hologram) or Rush. Not good. 

- Great to see Hobbs back and looking like he ate the 50's at the gym for his Warm Up on the DB rack. Would be delighted to see him snag a few wins before challenging Takeshita at World's End or something. 

- Christian continues to be great and Hook is doing pretty well opposite him. 

- Agree with whoever said Jericho's involvement, since it seems preordained, would be better as the heater for Bill rather than the other way round. 

- I think Jack Perry has been shite as a heel. Far too many turns in this promotion have hurt people rather than helped them I think. If he was defending the TNT belt every week rather than every six weeks and constantly sneaking away with it then it would be a bit better I think. Christian's TNT title run this is not. 

Edited by WeeAl

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...