Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

 

I'm not normally an image guy in wrestling, but it's the first thing to sort out, surely? Get him in long tights at least.

Stop with the dodgy yellowy stuff that he, and many others, are seemingly wearing now

Edited by Tim Healys Chutney Spoon
  • Paid Members
Posted

It's odd isn't it. Adam Cole with his noodle arms and weak as piss offence is pushed as a top guy yet no one really buys it. Orange Cassidy got to the top by putting his hands in his pockets and kicking people very lightly and generally fucking around. Top guy. Now I know that isn't all there is to OC, but on the mic, Cole is better in my opinion. They both have ring entrance music that crowds have responded to, so it's not that.  There is obviously an "X" factor at play and whatever it is Cole doesn't have it and has never had it. He's as threatening as tapioca. I know a lot of folks like OC, I'm not one of them but even I would admit that OC is far more watchable and credible than AC. Cole could be a good dick heel manager but on the whole if I never saw him in any capacity I wouldn't care. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

It's not really a fair comparison - Orange Cassidy is one of the best wrestlers in the world.

Adam Cole is...well he's nowhere near Cassidy's level. In fact, I think the only bad Orange Cassidy match I can think of is his one with Adam Cole. 

Posted (edited)

It's interesting, looking back, just how over the Undisputed Era were in NXT., and I do wonder if it's because they made up for each other's weaknesses a bit. Neither Kyle nor Roddy are worth much on the mic, but they come across much more dangerous than Cole, and make him more of a threat by association, and he can talk for the whole group. I've just looked at some pictures, and while he still looks like linguine, he is clearly in better shape in NXT too.

But to BomberPat's point, and I really think this is crucial with Cole, nothing has changed in years and years. He could rehash an old gimmick in NXT because who the hell was watching him in ROH or wherever? AEW diehards, that's who. And we were damn sure watching all NXT at least, so it just feels like a story that won't end, with the same guys, frozen in amber, doing the same out of date dumb frat boy gimmick, misunderstanding DX and the NWO and the Four Horsemen, misunderstanding Shawn Michaels in particular, while everyone else evolves around them, leaving them in the dust to come up with terrible catchphrases and boring stories. The only potential they ever had was that aborted feud with the Elite, where Kenny and the Bucks would've made them look great but also showed how outclassed they are. It's a shame to see Kyle, who looked finally free, get dragged back into the Undisputed Bermuda Triangle.

In conclusion, Dear Paul, please will you fix it for me...

Edited by Duke
Posted

Has any intimidating looking bodyguard ever been booked as badly as Kamille? She's been beaten up or outsmarted almost every week hasn't she? 

She looks the business but everyone getting the best of her, and Mercedes belittling her, has killed her stone dead. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I mean, Adam Cole main evented AEW’s biggest ever PPV and it didn’t feel like the wrong choice…I feel like, since then, both he and MJF have been involved in a series of bad creative choices. Clearly there’s scope for Cole to do something, but he needs better direction as fair as his storylines go. 

For the first time in a long while, I actually stopped watching this show part way through and just read a recap. There was nothing massively wrong with it, but it just felt a bit boring to me - and they’re massively underutilising the Moxley storyline. Don’t advertise a takeover if you have no intention of doing anything differently than you would had you not advertised it.

Posted

I haven't watched dynamite yet but I know Adam Cole lost. Do you think it was always planned or do you think it was because he was getting booed and they decided to change it ? 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Continuing my Week of Watching Wrestling with AEW Dynamite from Stamford  Bridgeport, Connecticut!

Just fucking jumps straight into Jay and Juice vs Christian Cage and Hangman Adam Page, and a decent enough tag match with a predictable ending. Not enough Juice, for my liking. I can see why so much fuss gets made about White in the ring, he's technically excellent. It's just.... everything else. At least he didn't do a promo.

The backstage stuff with Kris Statlander and Mercedes Mone was fine until they decided after they all crashed through a wall that we were just going to immediately ignore that and just throw back to Excalibur waffling on. Who's editing this programme, Tommy Wiseau?

Ospreay and Fletcher then did an absolutely awful promo that will still be going on when I'm dead. Jesus christ. An almost entirely pointless exchange that was the lowlight of the entire show, for me. Good shot with the screwdriver though, Will. I bet he's great at Urban Axe Throwing. Then there was a big fight that transitioned weirdly into a Lance Archer vs Roderick Strong match that seemed to take place almost entirely picture-in-picture. This show is unwatchable in places.

Ahh great, it's Adam Cole. But on the bright side, it's also Takeshita. A great man, dragging the jaundiced berk to a semi-reasonable match. Takeshita is brilliant. The stuff with the ring, not so much. The clip of MJF laughing in his study, ridiculous. At least he wasn't on for any longer than that.

And then, Jon Moxley. Look, right. I've almost always hated Moxley. The only time I found him tolerable was when he had that feud with Regal in FCW and I know why that was and it wasn't because of Moxley. He was quite rubbish in the Shield, too, with his stupid comedy mugging. I hate his shitty, sloppy offence and his rambling cod-tough guy promos. I don't understand how anybody can buy this plank as a genuine threat when he's wandering around with a shortarse bodyguard and wearing spray-on jeans. I thought he was supposed to be taking over the station? Darby Allin, who weighs about as much as a large guinea pig, jumps on him and he fucks off. This whole angle is just as shite as the Young Bucks one. I hate Moxley, I hate Castagnoli, and I hate Wheeler Yuta even if I did laugh when he got told to shut up. 

I do like Orange Cassidy though and maybe he can drag Moxley to another reasonable match even if he's obviously not going to win the title. He did a good promo and saved the segment.

Chris Jericho came on but didn't fuck off soon enough for my blood pressure to not hit the ceiling.

Britt Baker vs Penelope Ford was the usual Britt Baker match in that it wasn't good and if she doesn't make a mess of something then it looks like she might make a mess of something. I thought Penelope Ford had retired, I must be thinking of someone else. Twice Baker did that "D...M...D!" taunt and got smacked in the back. Christ's sake.

There was a Jamie Hayter promo in here somewhere but I think the upload I watched cut half of it off. Did I miss anything? I like her hair colour.

I forgot the Hurt Business promo backstage. There was a LOT of talking on this show, and this was the only bit of that which was any good.

Swerve Strickland had a match with Lio Rush, who I also don't like, and who got far too much offence considering Swerve's just recently been the world champion. Then more talking and the expected battering. Looking forward to the Swerve / Lashley match though, interested in what they do with that. Give Shelton the world title, as I've previously stated.

Obviously the moment of the night was Swerve saying they were in Stamford. As far as promo flubs go, that couldn't have gone any worse. At least it woke the crowd up, what there was of them. But there's no coming back from that in that building and them chanting "We're in Bridgeport!" through the rest of that segment just killed it. It's not Swerve's house anymore!

Harley Cameron and Mina Shirakawa had a tit-off. Renee did well not to corpse. They need to find something substantial for Harley to do, she's absolutely hilarious. Put her in a tag team with Toni Storm somehow. God the skits they could get out of that.

The Julia Hart video was fine, I guess, but a bit overplayed considering she's not been away *that* long. She is great though, and was improving all the time, so good to see her coming back.

I nearly dozed off during the tag match at the end. I don't get Malakai Black's appeal at all. Brody King is a decent big lad. FTR look absolutely miserable to be there. Give Phil some time, lads, he's only been back over there.... oh, a year. Never mind, eh.

Well, this wasn't very good. Maybe I caught it on a bad week, I don't know. But some parts of it were just amateurish and took me out of it. Probably couldn't do that every week but I'll see how I get on with Collision.

  • Paid Members
Posted

While I disagree with your views of certain wrestlers I think reading your review highlighted stuff that perhaps has been normalised for regular viewers but absolutely shouldn't be normalised and needs fixing: too many matches are 50/50 when they definitely shouldn't be, there's too much talking and there's too many bad and amateurish production choices all over the show.

Posted
9 hours ago, Chris B said:

It's also mostly happened since she posted some shitty pro-life stuff on Insta, so she might be being phased out.

It's also mostly happened since they've realised how utterly useless she is in the ring  (why they didn't know that before hand is beyond me) 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Yeah I think her being shit in both the Aminata and Statlander matches has been a nail in her coffin. She's gone from the Brickhouse to Bumbling Goon Sidekick.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...