Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I’m most surprised Takeshita isn’t in the Continental Classic. Felt like they spent months building the idea that he’d be a threat to Okada. Did they drop that after they had that random Four Way at All Out?

I’m actually really happy the Continental Classic has just come around as part of the calendar and they haven’t made a big song and dance about it. The last thing I want is another BIG RESET, where they act like a cheating partner looking for one more chance. No honestly, it’ll be different from now on. This is the real quiz.

I feel like it started at last year’s Continental Classic, which was a direct reaction to everyone complaining about MJF’s Title run and all the Sports Entertainment in the product. What was the quote Tony gave after announcing the Tournament? “Put your fuckin’ money where your mouth is”? And then since then we’ve had the return of The Rankings (for about three weeks). Then we’ve had the big, “Restore the Feeling,” thing in the Summer. Now we’ve got Moxley calling this Death Riders run a, “Hard Reset,” and a, “Complete Company Restart,” in interviews.

I’m completely over it. It’s real 1999/2000 WCW stuff. Pure Russo. Wouldn’t be shocked if they strip all the belts next time.

Show, don’t tell. Stop telling me things will be better and just make things better.

Edited by Supremo
Posted
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

I’m most surprised Takeshita isn’t in the Continental Classic. Felt like they spent months building the idea that he’d be a threat to Okada. Did they drop that after they had that random Four Way at All Out?

Takeshita is wrestling the Tokyo Dome Title v title against Shingo with the winner facing Ishii the next night at Dynasty. Safe to say there are other plans for him, and doesn’t seem to be dominating AEW. 

Posted
11 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I don't think AEW has really done enough to hype the C2 or make it feel special. Just a quick announcement on Dynamite and a YouTube video announcing the competitors. They should be doing a big song and dance with it.  press conference, hype videos, open Dynamite up with all the wrestlers, Tony Khan and all the senior staff in the ring taking group photos, Okada handing over the belt in a ceromonial fashion, it's own cheesy 80s sports TV theme. All the bells and whistles.

Felt to me like they were never fully committed to running another tournament, until quite recently.

Still glad it's back. Last year's tournament gave AEW TV a pretty solid direction, imo.

Posted
33 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Felt to me like they were never fully committed to running another tournament, until quite recently.

Still glad it's back. Last year's tournament gave AEW TV a pretty solid direction, imo.

It was definitely happening. It has been the usual half-hearted promotional effort of having to book around egos, the potential of injuries, and Tony Khan being happy to have his vision in his head without selling it to people.

Posted

As we don’t have a general AEW News thread figured this was best place to put this,

The Australia Grand Slam show in February has been moved from Suncorp Stadium to the Brisbane Entertainment Centre due to low tickets sales. BEC holds around 13,500 compared to Suncorp’s 52,500.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Seems wise. I remember seeing loads of Australian people saying how mental it was that they booked thar stadium as AEW doesn't have a real footprint in Australia and Brisbane is a bad location for it anyway.

Posted
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

As we don’t have a general AEW News thread figured this was best place to put this,

The Australia Grand Slam show in February has been moved from Suncorp Stadium to the Brisbane Entertainment Centre due to low tickets sales. BEC holds around 13,500 compared to Suncorp’s 52,500.

That's a shame but not really unexpected when you think about it. The first all in people didn't know if aew was gonna come back to the UK. In attendance there was 73 000 people. Now the UK population is around about 70 million. I just looked and Australia has a population of just over 27 million. And its huge and spread out a lot more than the UK. I would imagine it takes more time to get from one side of Australia to the other than it does to get from Paris the London. 

It was always unlikely the stadium would be anywhere near full. 

They'll probably have to move all in as well as the stadium will be no where near full. 

Posted
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Seems wise. I remember seeing loads of Australian people saying how mental it was that they booked thar stadium as AEW doesn't have a real footprint in Australia and Brisbane is a bad location for it anyway.

I love Tony Khan. I go to loads of independent shows now and if it wasn't for him I never would of goy back into wrestling. But sometimes it just seems like he's in his own world.  

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 hours ago, CDM said:

I love Tony Khan. I go to loads of independent shows now and if it wasn't for him I never would of goy back into wrestling. But sometimes it just seems like he's in his own world.  

Billionaire lives in own world, who'd have thunk it. The only surprise for me is that he didn't try to book the MCG and draw 100k. Honestly you'd have thought that he'd book Sydney or Melbourne just for population density and ease of access. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Billionaire lives in own world, who'd have thunk it. The only surprise for me is that he didn't try to book the MCG and draw 100k. Honestly you'd have thought that he'd book Sydney or Melbourne just for population density and ease of access. 

Grand Slam Australia in Brisbane, Elimination Chamber in Perth, the multi-event deal that starts with the Royal Rumble in Indianpolis, All In Texas in Arlington, Clash at the Castle in Cardiff. That's not about the wrestling company booking the venues, but taking the tax breaks or cash.

  • Paid Members
Posted
47 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Billionaire lives in own world, who'd have thunk it. The only surprise for me is that he didn't try to book the MCG and draw 100k. Honestly you'd have thought that he'd book Sydney or Melbourne just for population density and ease of access. 

I thought they were approached by an entertainment producer similar to how WCW and TNA did shows there, which if so they probably wouldn’t have a say. But baring in mind WWE only filled 3/4’s of a  larger stadium last year when they are red hot, and with the availability of weekly tv and PPV’s there compared to AEW’s reach, they were never going to fill it. Smart decision to go the Wrestlemania 7 route imo.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

Grand Slam Australia in Brisbane, Elimination Chamber in Perth, the multi-event deal that starts with the Royal Rumble in Indianpolis, All In Texas in Arlington, Clash at the Castle in Cardiff. That's not about the wrestling company booking the venues, but taking the tax breaks or cash.

WWE can justify taking the tax breaks and cash, they bring a big audience. AEW as has been pointed out has very little presence in Australia. They've already downgraded the venue because they can't sell tickets, the tax breaks had better be good. I hope they do well but they don't half like making it difficult for themselves. As for All In in Texas, it will be nice for the Cowboys stadium to have something entertaining on for once. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I skipped Jericho/Ishii and the Adam Cole stuff. Everything else was pretty ok! Nothing blow away but all pretty solid stuff. Loads of tiny improvements could be made that would collectively make a huge difference but a perfectly acceptable episode otherwise. The Mariah May/Mina segment was my favourite bit. The way it was shot was really cool.

Posted

I presume that this is going to lead to Adam Page and Jay White, odd couple tag team, which to be honest I'm here for. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I just hope during the Continental Classic they do a bit more multi-mans and tags and leave the singles matches for the C2. At the moment things are very singles match heavy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...