What's the funniest film ever made?

Devon Malcolm

30 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

There is only one correct stance on Andy Samberg. He's great.

We deffo need to identify these wrong’uns and put them on a list. Samberg ain’t marmite, he’s Nutella!

Problem with Ferrell for me is improv is fucking shit. I like sad Will Ferrell way more than  whacky Will.

Never laughed harder in a cinema than when I saw Superbad for the first time. 

It was the perfect storm, as I saw it with about ten of my closest high school mates and it was a Friday afternoon opening day showing before we a house party later that evening. We were sixteen and the cinema was packed out, too. Almost died during the dick drawing montage.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but Planes, Trains and Automobiles is tough to beat, too. And as far as quotable films I can watch over and over and laugh every time, The Big Lebowski is right up there.

Edited by SaitoRyo
A very un-Dude omission.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I like sad Will Ferrell way more than  whacky Will.

His best performance is playing a mean dad in The Lego Movie. He was pretty good in Stranger Than Fiction, too. There's something to this.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

His best performance is playing a mean dad in The Lego Movie. He was pretty good in Stranger Than Fiction, too. There's something to this.

I originally read that as dead man and thought, aye he could probably just about manage that alright. 

• Paid Members

Spinal Tap would probably be my first pick purely because of how well it's stood the test of time. Seeing Superbad getting mentioned a lot is great too, I rewatched it a couple of months ago for the first time in years and was laughing like a drain, it's perfectly cast. I'd also give 'Friday' a shout. It may be the timing of when it came out, or that it was perfect for where my friends and I were at the time but it's still probably the most oft quoted film between us. 

7 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I'd also give 'Friday' a shout. It may be the timing of when it came out, or that it was perfect for where my friends and I were at the time but it's still probably the most oft quoted film between us. 

I think it helps if you like rap/smoking weed and like you say when you watch it makes all the difference. Of course you can enjoy it without those things but it does help massively.

Sinny sin siiiiiin.

• Paid Members

I forgot to mention Some Like it Hot. They had it on at the local cinema recently and it's still absolutely brilliant. Tony Curtis as Shell Oil Junior never fails to make me howl. Was surprised how well it held up, there's obviously stuff that wouldn't fly now, but less of it than I anticipated given it was released when Eisenhower was in office.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Chris B said:

Some Like It Hot is still brilliant and funny, and every bit as good as its reputation.

3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

I forgot to mention Some Like it Hot. They had it on at the local cinema recently and it's still absolutely brilliant. Tony Curtis as Shell Oil Junior never fails to make me howl. Was surprised how well it held up, there's obviously stuff that wouldn't fly now, but less of it than I anticipated given it was released when Eisenhower was in office.

My all time favourite film, it's just sublime.  Joe E. Brown is the MVP for me with the final line, but I'm scared to watch the documentary in case it reveals they took 8000 attempts at it rather than the bottled comic timing lightning that it comes across as.

Honourable mention to Wayne's World and Wayne's World 2.  Del Preston's brandy glass of brown M&Ms and the introduction of "schwing" to my teenage vocabulary will always hold the WW pair a place in my heart.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

I think it's partly that it was pretty damn progressive for its time - there were quite a few queer people involved in the making of it too. It's never really mean, and as controversial as it was at the time, that was more to do with how conservative the culture was than how actually outrageous the film was.

2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

My all time favourite film, it's just sublime.  Joe E. Brown is the MVP for me with the final line, but I'm scared to watch the documentary in case it reveals they took 8000 attempts at it rather than the bottled comic timing lightning that it comes across as.

Quite the opposite. It was a placeholder, and pretty much that exact point about bottled comic timing - they were frantically writing the film as they went, only a week ahead. But they kept thinking they'd come up with a better ending, because they were so close to it. Then, when it played (at the second preview, as the first was a disaster), it killed, and they realised what they had.

• Moderators

I haven't seen it for a long time but Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a film I've seen a million times and always loved.

Also Coming to America deserves a mention too. Not sure if it's a coincidence that both of these used to be on Paramount every other week and I'd watch them pretty much every time they were on...

3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I haven't seen it for a long time but Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a film I've seen a million times and always loved.

I like the film but the older I get (and maybe being a parent helps) I side less and less with Ferris and more with the parents and teacher. And I'm someone who barely went to school in the last two years, and loved a bit of truancy (not cool, stay in school)

Also, he's a dweeb and makes very bad use of his day off IMO.

DAY BOW BOW.

7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I like the film but the older I get (and maybe being a parent helps) I side less and less with Ferris and more with the parents and teacher. And I'm someone who barely went to school in the last two years, and loved a bit of truancy (not cool, stay in school)

DAY BOW BOW.

Oh definitely, Rooney is the hero of the story. And Coming To America is ace, bit dodgy with some of the African stereotypes but John Amos absolutely steals it in the last third. Opening and closing the door to Daryl kills me every time, then Daryl breaking the fourth wall when the sister says he needs to get out of those wet clothes is sublime. 

The old white dude in the barbershop reminds me of our David the way he keeps bringing up Marciano as the greatest heavyweight. 

• Paid Members

For the number of laughs per minute, probably Dum and Dumber.  I had to keep pausing as I was in tears every few minutes.  A more easy, but bloody funny watch was Napoleon Dynamite.  

• Moderators
11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

DAY BOW BOW.

Ferris is definitely a lot less sympathetic as you get older, but Rooney is an unhinged maniac by the end of the film. True, his breakdown is seemingly caused by Ferris, but he has to be a deeply unhappy and small man to react so disproportionately.