What's the funniest film ever made?

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Inspired by me rewatching Raising Arizona tonight, which I think is it. Just everything in this makes me laugh, only about the last 5 minutes are played for anything other than laughs. It's fucking brilliant.

Impossible to narrow down the funniest scenes in it but this one makes me laugh my arse off every single time.

Shout-out to the Machine Shop Ear Bender, too.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm going to have to go with Superbad or Hot Rod. 

I genuinely love Superbad, and think on top of it being very funny, it's really sweet as well in its depiction of male friendship.

"Saying hwhat hwhat hway?" is one of the most used phrases in our house. 16yo loves Hot Rod too and Andy Samberg in general.

The dicks scene breaks me every time in Superbad. Really didn't expect to like it at all but it's one of my favourites.

"Like a man dick?"

Edited by Devon Malcolm

I only watched Raising Arizona for the first time in the past few years, it was after a rewatch of Wild At Heart and I'd probably put them both as my fav Cage films now.

For me the funniest and one I go back to more than anything is Four Lions, Barry may be the best character ever.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I don’t think that much of it holds up today, mainly because the world moved beyond parody and also because it’s done to death, but I’ve never laughed as much at anything as I did Borat the first time I saw that.

• Paid Members

I echo Four Lions. It's so quotable, and I've seen it so many times but I still find it hilarious. Waj saying "fucking Boy George" after hanging up on Cumberbatch, Faisel's IRA voice, Waj asking if he can cook his SIM card, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

Airplane. Perfect silliness but spawned a horrible genre of knock-offs down the years.

3 of the films that my Dad adored and would watch with me over and over as a kid were Airplane, Airplane 2 and Top Secret, the latter being his favourite. 

Top silly bollocks.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox story. 

It just nails everything. Absurdity, daft one liners, long setups. 

This Is Spinal Tap came close but it suffers worse from overfamiliar pacing for me. Walk Hard always fucks me over still for how abrupt and endless its good jokes are. 

Now open your mind and learn to play the fucking theramin. 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

Airplane. Perfect silliness but spawned a horrible genre of knock-offs down the years.

Honorable mention for Clue. So many great performers having great fun with the script that has so many laugh out loud quotable lines.

Both fantastic movies. The Zuckers put out some great stuff back then. Airplane 2 was fine. The Naked Gun movies as well.