What's the funniest film ever made?

Devon Malcolm

It’s not the funniest film ever made but nothing will ever make me laugh more than when I was a teenager watching Happy Gilmore for the first time. The Sandman’s hit rate when it comes to comedy is pretty atrocious but every now and then he gets the balance between shit and funny right. It’s all aged pretty awfully though hasn’t it. Running gags about homosexuals and women who may or may not have penises are staples of his back catalogue.

• Paid Members

I'm not as down on the guy as some (he was really funny in You're So Not Coming to My Bat Mitzvah this year as well) but I still think this is the funniest thing Adam Sandler's ever done.

• Paid Members

Some less modern films what are hilarious.

The Odd Couple has some of the best dialogue and exchanges I've ever heard. Matthau and Lemmon were so good together, every time.

I can't believe Stanley Kubrick allowed this sort of carry on in one of his films.

The whole of You Can't Take It With You is as mad as this:-

• Paid Members

40 Year Old Virgin blew me away when I first saw it in the mid-00s. I had never before seen a comedy before that relied so much on improv, quips and barbs, whilst also balancing itself with the sweetness of the main story as well as the chemistry between all the leads and bit players. The soundtrack, the throwaway gags, the one-liners, the weird ending, the set pieces, all of it works together to turn what could've either been a run-of-the-mill romcom or run-of-the-mill sexcom into a genuinely funny and touching story of one man's quest to tackle the gazelle.

And, despite some really problematic dips, it's still excellent.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Also will throw in the second Austin Powers film with the proviso that I have a shit taste in films.

Nonsense, Austin Powers 2 is brilliant, definitely one of my absolute favourite comedies ever, love the first one too. 

All the best ones have been mentioned already but I will say my favourite Adam Sandler film was always Billy Madison and I think MacGruber is the most underrated comedy ever and I love it so much I can't not mention it.

• Paid Members

Some Like It Hot is still brilliant and funny, and every bit as good as its reputation.

Loved this recent Matt Baume video about the making of it, and just how much was riding on it for everyone involved.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Odd Couple has some of the best dialogue and exchanges I've ever heard. Matthau and Lemmon were so good together, every time.

This is my choice.  I’ve never laughed as hard in my life as I did in this film, and it has stood the test of time extremely well.

I rewatched Dumb and Dumber a while back expecting it to have aged badly, but it’s still very, very funny.  As has Airplane!  which may have the most gags per minute of any film.

• Paid Members

Airplane! still cracks me up to this day, though I’m not sure how people born after the 90’s would find it funny due to the references to pop culture of the time.

This is Spinal Tap is still the pinnacle of mockumentry to me, but I have rewatched Best In Show almost as much, some fantastic characters in there. I also think Clue is one of the funniest films I’ve ever seen, and no surprise with that cast. It feels very improvised but I’m sure it wasn’t.

Anchorman and Step Brothers I also think are the best of that more modern comedy. Superbad,  Good Boys and Game Night all have plenty of laughs as well.

The Summer of 1999 bore two of the funniest films I’ve ever seen at the cinema, Austin Powers 2 and South Park, bigger, longer and uncut, which I still love to this day.

But the film(s) that we laughed at so hard at I thought my Dad was going to have a heart attack with are Blazing Saddles and There’s Something About Mary. So it’s probably them.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Briefcase said:

Recently saw 'Theres Something About Mary' again and forgot how funny this film is (some 20 plus years later). 

The Three Stooges bit where the dog blocks the eye poke with its paw is one of my favourite gags ever.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

rewatched Dumb and Dumber a while back expecting it to have aged badly, but it’s still very, very funny

I love it. I don't think it would age badly as its never vicious or mean.

I know that's funny to say about a film that literally mocks a blind child (ffs I'm laughing just typing this...pretty biiiiiird) but there's nothing that makes you think "Tsk the 90s eh?" the way that say, Ace Ventura might.

I love it. My Dad loved it. My kids love it. Cracking. 

WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Fucking hell, how did I forget this.

Glad to see some sense going on in here. 

44 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Anchorman

This always gets a lot of love with people but encapsulates almost everything I can't stand about Will Ferrell. He's less funny than Adam Sandler and that's saying something. 

Anyway; 

Smoky & the Bandit

Kelly's Heroes

Edited by WeeAl