Okada to leave NJPW

Daddymagic

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

The previous regime would have placed a glass ceiling above his head right away

You are definitely right about that in WWE buddy. There is no glass ceiling in AEW though as every time they installed one Mox would smash his head through it in a match and Punk would complain about the real glass. 

I know it's easy to be cynical about WWE but I'd be absolutely shocked if they signed Okada and wasted the opportunity. If they treat him well it opens a lot of doors for them and goodwill for future potential signings. I do think they'd do their best by him, or at least try. It's tough to know how he'd do in front of a more unknown crowd but I don't think it's a guaranteed disaster if he signed with them.

1 hour ago, JLM said:

They didn’t with Nakamura or Kushida or Tozawa, they didn’t with Io Shirai in NXT but then did on the main roster, and they did with Kairi immediately in NXT. So a bit of a mixture on the Japanese talents. There is also the fact that it’s not a Vince call now, and that HHH has rolled back some of the name changes that were Vince calls. 

I reckon they’d keep the name in the current climate. 

Maybe, but maybe TKO will be even more ruthless and protective of what they 'own' than what Vince was. You are well up on things these days, has there been many signings in the last 2 years who have kept their name? I don't follow it as much now, but I had the impression that it's pretty much a done deal that they always now want to own the name of the performer. 

12 minutes ago, Dai said:

Maybe, but maybe TKO will be even more ruthless and protective of what they 'own' than what Vince was. You are well up on things these days, has there been many signings in the last 2 years who have kept their name? I don't follow it as much now, but I had the impression that it's pretty much a done deal that they always now want to own the name of the performer. 

Recently, Dragon Lee came in as Dragon Lee. Jade Cargill still is using their real name. There are still some new signings that have went through the WWE/NXT name generator. It's the same unknown rhyme or reason that's always been there.

Madi Wrenkowski just became Wren Sinclair. Kazuchika seems like the kind of name that WWE in the past would happily drop to keep things simple.

• Paid Members

Yeah I can see them wanting their characters to be their own IPs but it doesn’t seem to be applied to everyone. Nick Aldis is using his real name. I suppose Jade Cargill hasn’t officially debuted, but she’s been introduced on screen under her real name more than once and I’d be surprised if they gave her a new one. She is a sort-of celebrity though so maybe an exception.  

Edit: Ahh yep Dragon Lee is a good shout. Tyler Bate has kept his real name after call up to the main roster. Pete Dunne looks set to change from a WWE-created persona back to his real name too. 

I was surprised they changed Kacy Catanzaro’s name when she’d been using her real name for ages. Wonder if that’s because she spent so long in developmental that her Ninja Warrior  mainstream name value isn’t there any more, or if Catanzaro is not snappy enough for their liking, or someone thought Katana Chance sounds cooler. Who’s to say. 

I dunno. Sometimes they change it and sometimes they don’t. That is my cutting insight that gets right at the heart of the matter. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, JLM said:

I dunno. Sometimes they change it and sometimes they don’t. That is my cutting insight that gets right at the heart of the matter. 

Hopefully I speak for everyone when I say it's good to have you back JLM. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, JLM said:

I was surprised they changed Kacy Catanzaro’s name when she’d been using her real name for ages. Wonder if that’s because she spent so long in developmental that her Ninja Warrior  mainstream name value isn’t there any more, or if Catanzaro is not snappy enough for their liking, or someone thought Katana Chance sounds cooler. Who’s to say. 

IIRC that came as a result of Vince having a paddy about Jeff Hardy showing up in AEW under his WWE name (obviously his real name!) and with his WWE music (stock music) and passing down an edict that absolutely everybody had to have a name that WWE 100% owned, unless they were very long established (e.g. Randy Orton, AJ Styles)

It was mostly NXT people affected but there were a bunch of changes within the space of a week.

• Paid Members

Andy Awesome, Roddy Viper, Vinnie Vintage, Apex Fredastaire, Randall Kassius Ohno. Killian Legend. 

He’d have been fiiiine. 

12 minutes ago, Chili said:

Call him just Okato again like in TNA then see how long he sticks around.

Probably the most character he's ever shown, I know I'm likely in the minority but I just never clicked with whatever the Rainmaker is.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Factotum said:

He'll be on NXT, mainly so Triple H can try and get one up on AEW (he's petty, I admire it) AJ Styles is the only 'outside guy' who's ever come in with fanfare. 

AJ is exactly the example of why Okada wouldn’t get sent to NXT. You don’t sign Okada for the kind of money he’d want, for him to slum it with Andy No Name and Nonn Steiner for six months first. Shoot for your ROI as soon as possible, he’s not getting any younger.