Okada to leave NJPW

Daddymagic

8 minutes ago, Daddymagic said:

Sean Sapp is reporting that he's done with New Japan after his contract expires - likely end of next month.

I don't think he is.

https://www.si.com/fannation/wrestling/news/kazuchika-okada-will-be-a-free-agent-in-2024?utm_source=reddit.com

He's just confirming another report, which was already largely known. His contract is up early next year and he's considering his options.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

His contract is up early next year and he's considering his options.

Just him and a bunch of other wrestlers. For those that don’t know, New Japan signs ALL their wrestlers to deals that roll over in January and everyone decides in January to sign again or not. Hence in 2016 when Nakamura, AJ, Gallows & Anderson all finished up at Kingdom/Dash, before going to WWE, and two years earlier they had Devitt/Balor lose the jr belt at Kingdom because he hadn’t re-signed and hence immediately he’s courted by WWE, going backstage at TNA and so on, and New Japan gets him on a month by month deal just so they finish his story - Bullet Club turning on him, losing an actual stip match to be forced to leave - before he committed to WWE. But equally, such stalling is often just trying to force a better offer out of New Japan.

8 hours ago, FUM said:

Would have put this in the minor news thread for how successful I think this guy will be outside NJPW tbh.

People said exactly the same of Nakamura. Who pinned John Cena clean, had people clamouring for him to win the WWE title off Jinder, and won a Royal Rumble.

Although based on the actual contract situation, the “not news” thread would be more accurate. If he goes into Kingdom having not signed, then I’ll worry.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

Just him and a bunch of other wrestlers. For those that don’t know, New Japan signs ALL their wrestlers to deals that roll over in January and everyone decides in January to sign again or not.

They actually changed that practice, for at least some wrestlers, after 2016. Okada was, at least publicly acknowledged, the first to sign a multi-year deal with NJPW as a sign of loyalty and solidarity after that year's mass exodus.

The idea that Okada wouldn't be successful outside of NJPW is wild, though. Just for the amount of money and perks he would have to be offered to jump ship, any promotion bringing him in would need a return on that investment, and would do everything they could to make it count. WWE under Triple H, in particular, have been making a lot of noise about wanting to break the stigma that Asian wrestlers don't succeed there, and it would be such a "setting out your stall" signing to bring him in that you're pretty much guaranteed that they'd treat him like a star.

For the record, I don't think he's leaving, but I think it's less certain than it has been at any point in the past. If he does leave, it will be because they drive a dumptruck of money to his house, or because he feels the need to prove himself elsewhere. He's the same age that Nakamura was when he left NJPW, having felt like he had done everything there was to do there, and you could make a similar argument for Okada (though he hasn't been with the company as long as Shinsuke was), only Nakamura said he was happy to leave because he knew he was leaving NJPW in good hands with Okada. I don't think the next generation are in that position yet for Okada to make that same judgement, if he were so inclined.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Someone made the point on twitter that one major factor isn't just that Okada is married - his wife is actually a well-known actress, and possibly more famous than he is. So his work isn't necessarily the thing to move state-side for. 

To be fair, this doesn't rule out AEW, but it may rule out WWE. If I were to put bets on, I'd probably bet on him staying in NJPW though.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

They actually changed that practice, for at least some wrestlers, after 2016. Okada was, at least publicly acknowledged, the first to sign a multi-year deal with NJPW as a sign of loyalty and solidarity after that year's mass exodus.

Aye, multi-year - but still expiring in January. But it's not quite the "OMG, main eventer has his contract coming up and hasn't signed a new one yet" meltdown that should greet the same happening to Reigns or MJF. But I reckon you know that.

56 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The idea that Okada wouldn't be successful outside of NJPW is wild, though. Just for the amount of money and perks he would have to be offered to jump ship, any promotion bringing him in would need a return on that investment, and would do everything they could to make it count. WWE under Triple H, in particular, have been making a lot of noise about wanting to break the stigma that Asian wrestlers don't succeed there, and it would be such a "setting out your stall" signing to bring him in that you're pretty much guaranteed that they'd treat him like a star.

This is exactly it. Hunter's 100% the man for this kind of situation. If we're going to mention Nakamura, let's not forget that AJ and the lads only decided timing was right for going to WWE because Shinsuke already had his foot in the door, and Styles made a call to Triple H, who didn't waste any time doing business, to the point a few of mates regularly use the term "AJ Styles money" re : you're going to get treated to the level your pay justifies. In other words, if they were to pay "Okada money" to sign Okada, he'll be a big deal.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

He's the same age that Nakamura was when he left NJPW, having felt like he had done everything there was to do there, and you could make a similar argument for Okada (though he hasn't been with the company as long as Shinsuke was)

24 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Someone made the point on twitter that one major factor isn't just that Okada is married - his wife is actually a well-known actress, and possibly more famous than he is. So his work isn't necessarily the thing to move state-side for.

There is a difference here in this respect. Nakamura's mrs was happy to move with him. And life does get in the way all the time i.e. AJ didnt sign the original WWE developmental deal offered to him because he didn't want to move to Cincinnati while his wife was studying in Atlanta. 

• Paid Members
On 12/5/2023 at 12:35 PM, Vamp said:

Weirdly, I couldn't give a toss if he went to AEW (though I'm sure him and MJF would work well together) but him going to WWE is way more intriguing. 

I'd love to hear your reasoning behind this,  because I couldn't disagree more. The thought of Okada against Mox, Osprey,  Fenix, a match where Danielson doesn't get injured, Eddie Kingston etc moves me far more than LA Knight or Seth. The Roman match would be really good if he was used properly, but that's honestly it.

If nothing else, we could see the reunion of Green Hornet Samoa Joe and Okato.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Duke said:

The thought of Okada against Mox, Osprey,  Fenix, a match where Danielson doesn't get injured, Eddie Kingston etc moves me far more than LA Knight or Seth. The Roman match would be really good if he was used properly, but that's honestly it.

Punk, Orton, Owens, Zayn, Cody, Gunther, Bálor, Rey, Drew, Sheamus, AJ and Brock would all be matches for Okada I’d love to see for the first time or in a WWE setting. Although in fairness given the ages of some of those guys and the existence of the brand split, to assume we’d get to see all or even most of them would be naive.

11 hours ago, Duke said:

I'd love to hear your reasoning behind this,  because I couldn't disagree more. The thought of Okada against Mox, Osprey,  Fenix, a match where Danielson doesn't get injured, Eddie Kingston etc moves me far more than LA Knight or Seth. The Roman match would be really good if he was used properly, but that's honestly it.

If nothing else, we could see the reunion of Green Hornet Samoa Joe and Okato.

I think him in WWE would be more intriguing as I would be curious to see how far he goes, how they handle him. They would definitely push him, they did with Asuka and Nakamura. If he was in AEW I think we know what would be happening. I'm not sure WWE would be better or worse, but I'm not sure you know what you're getting.