Okada to leave NJPW

Daddymagic

I think he goes to AEW. Tony will want him and that crowd will be absolutely rabid for him. Huge match at Wembley in the summer V Danielson possibly?

I know WWE is a different beast now, but I'm less interested in seeing him there as no doubt they'll just have Seth Rollins come out and whine at him.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, air_raid said:

In Japan every 7-11, Lawsons or similar Spar-type convenience shop has a charity box on their counter specifically for shoppers to drop their unwanted 1 Yen coins from their change into, because the coin has so little value people simply can’t be arsed to carry them around.

It doesn't even have hooligan value for chucking at people, as they're made of aluminium and weight next to nothing. Only reason why they exist is because pricing doesn't factor in taxes; it's added on afterwards.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, air_raid said:

In Japan every 7-11, Lawsons or similar Spar-type convenience shop has a charity box on their counter specifically for shoppers to drop their unwanted 1 Yen coins from their change into, because the coin has so little value people simply can’t be arsed to carry them around.

Shops in this county do for change. How is that unique to Japan?

• Paid Members

It’s just that they’re worth even less, there are also more cash only establishments and it’s very easy to end up with an absolute ton of pocket change. I had to buy a separate little coin pouch type thing when I was there  because my wallet was not cutting it. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Shops in this county do for change. How is that unique to Japan?

It's not for "change." Specifically, donate your 1 Yen coins here. It's the only coin you see in the box. Might as well be mandatory, everyone does it, even if they keep their 2s, 5s etc.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I think he goes to AEW. Tony will want him and that crowd will be absolutely rabid for him. Huge match at Wembley in the summer V Danielson possibly?

I know WWE is a different beast now, but I'm less interested in seeing him there as no doubt they'll just have Seth Rollins come out and whine at him.

I really hope he doesn’t join AEW. Aside from the fact he’s already wrestled a lot of their bigger stars, it feels like the kind of disruption that Khan doesn’t deal well with. They have one new big signing in the shape of Ospreay - I’d rather see them focus on making him feel like a big deal. Tony often loses interest in wrestlers just as they gain momentum - do I want to see Okada disrupt, for example, the rising star that is Swerve? Their rehabilitation of Hangman? Christian Cage? Hook? Eddie Kingston? Jay White? Not really, on all counts. There’s also the potential for the signing to give Khan yet another reason to neglect the women’s division.

In WWE, the prospect of matches with people like Lesnar, Reigns, Punk, Cody, Gunther, Sheamus, Cena, McIntyre and Owens all feel novel and interesting. The WWE roster is thin enough to need this kind of signing, whereas AEW would probably end up jamming him in a faction; making him feel less important pretty quickly. I’d also be concerned, as I mentioned, that the addition of Okada would lead to Khan losing interest in something that is going well.

• Paid Members

Okada in AEW is pretty uninteresting so hopefully he doesn't go there.  Okada in WWE is interesting because it's always interesting to see how outside stars like him fare in such a radically different environment. 

• Paid Members

I barely know anything about him but what little I do know says that he must be a better fit for AEW. Omega's there, he'll be immediately treated as one of their biggest stars, and they'll wrestle the style that suits him.

None of this will happen in WWE. Some fans and some markets will know him but imagine the reaction if he's bunged out on a Raw in Mississippi compared to a Dynamite anywhere. Plus WWE's record with Japanese wrestlers and those that have had their recent careers there is extremely not good. I'd be intrigued to see if they could do anything meaningful with him and HHH would probably do his best with him, but Okada doesn't need to be spending time in his life wrestling Baron Corbin in front of an NXT audience.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

So, to put it into perspective - is Okada the equivalent of, say, Cena leaving WWE in 2008 or something?

Probably closer to Cena leaving in like 2013. Having been champion on and off for bloody ages (8 years as Cena was then, 11 years when Okada last lost the IWGP title), having been virtually permanently "the man" despite some big or perennial rivals (Orton/Batista/HHH, Nakamura/Tanahashi/Naito) and while others have been dabbled with as the main event, you knew he was always ready to be inserted straight back in when needed or to bridge the gap between the last try of a new guy to the next. 

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

None of this will happen in WWE. Some fans and some markets will know him but imagine the reaction if he's bunged out on a Raw in Mississippi compared to a Dynamite anywhere. 

I imagine the same was said about Shinsuke Nakamura when he signed... and then this happened 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I imagine the same was said about Shinsuke Nakamura when he signed... and then this happened 

Two time NXT Champion Nakamura? Who was already featured on NXT for a year during one of its most popular periods? 

I just cannot picture Okada as a weekly television wrestler anywhere although the thought of him in WWE is quite funny. Twelve minutes back and forth with the Miz, commercial break in the middle.

Already seen him in AEW and it wasn't good. He'll be another guy hanging about in a random rubbish faction in his tshirt and jeans.