CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Tbf he actually said the year after he wanted to be in the match with them after he lost the title to The Rock at the Rumble. He said he would’ve been fine if it was an elimination match and he went out in a couple of minutes if it meant being in the main event. Instead he got that great match with The Undertaker. I’m sure he understood why that first match between Rock and Cena was the main event and wouldn’t have been too upset by it (maybe).

The bigger issue is probably that he was told in advance that it was going to be Rock vs Cena vs Punk for the main event, as their initial plan to work around that Rock vs Cena was supposed to be "once in a lifetime." Then he had it yanked out from under him. And I've no doubt he was told that was the plan, because The Rock has said in interviews that HE was told that was the plan, then it got changed. Moving goalposts being a common theme of people getting sick of the place, especially regarding Vince's personal promises, especially regarding Mania spots.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Probably nobody else finds this funny other than me, but Punk bouncing on the ropes in slow motion, glaring at Page and thinking to himself, "What the fuck's this tit going to say this week?" still makes me laugh.

Also, "I respect you, Hangman". One for all us WCW nerds out here.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Loki said:

Honestly though, what a fucking great promo by Page.  Like all the best promos, he meant every word.

Conversely, it's one of the worst promos I've ever heard. Absolute nonsense from start to finish.

• Paid Members

It was the best of promos, it was the worst of promos. It was the age of cowboy shit, it was the age of CM Punk chat. It was the epoch of buckshot lariats, it was the epoch of Pepsi plunges. It was the season of Khan, it was the season of Leveque. It was the Spring of All in, it was the winter of Brawl Out. We had pro wrestling before us, we had backstage dramas before us, we were all going direct to Wembley Stadium, we were all going direct to the Survivor Series. 

In short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, by Meltzer giving it 6 stars or Cornette declaring it outlaw mud show garbage. 

Edited by JLM

15 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Tbf he actually said the year after he wanted to be in the match with them after he lost the title to The Rock at the Rumble. He said he would’ve been fine if it was an elimination match and he went out in a couple of minutes if it meant being in the main event. Instead he got that great match with The Undertaker. I’m sure he understood why that first match between Rock and Cena was the main event and wouldn’t have been too upset by it (maybe).

Actually I will agree, three way would of made way more sense in my mind. CM Punk as the guy who was "ruining the plans" of management was a great gimmick. 

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

• Paid Members

I always thought his tantrum about not headlining Wrestlemania made him look like a bit of a mark. He probably will headline it now but now that Wrestlemania is two nights I don't think headlining it really means that much anymore - if it ever really did mean that much. There's been plenty of shit Wrestlemania headliners over the years and no one really remembers or cares about it.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:08 AM, RedRooster said:

So now we're ragging on the guy for things we think he might do?!

It seems so.

Some people in this thread long ago stopped talking about Punk, and have started discussing some imaginary caricature version of the guy that they've dreamed up in their heads.