CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

Yeah been quite a few talked about his advice. It’s only when it’s not been taken on, re to Hangman, that that’s been an issue. As we heard implied from the all out presser, if you haven’t done it in wwe you aren’t  star in his eyes to reject advice 

1 hour ago, David said:

The fact that Punk is one of the few wrestlers who hasn't died, been arrested or linked with sexual assault to have his own thread on this forum in a long time tells its own story. He's discussion-worthy. 

The "Tories are cunts" thread is over 200 pages longer. Why would the Elite want to work with Punk when they can do a match with Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson? 

Just now, Vamp said:

The "Tories are cunts" thread is over 200 pages longer. Why would the Elite want to work with Punk when they can do a match with Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson? 

That's off-topic though. I'm not talking about the forum section where the cool kids hang out. 

18 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

I've not heard mention of him working with talent behind the scenes to coach, advise, or otherwise transfer knowledge.

From the top of my head, Jade Cargill, Powerhouse Hobbs, Max Caster and of course FTR have all publicly spoken about the help and advice he has given them.

Edited by Slapnut

3 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Speaking of which, where is @Keith Houchen hope you are ok mate. Let us know you are safe. 

He's fine, everyone needs some time off from the internet now and then  :)  I'm sure he would appreciate the concern though.

On 6/20/2023 at 7:28 AM, CavemanLynn said:

You don't get to flip the table over because you're losing the game and storm off, then turn round at the people picking up the pieces and say, "See! Look at the mess you're in without me!"

Sure, but to say that the show carried on 'without any bother at all' is just revisionist.

24 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Sure, but to say that the show carried on 'without any bother at all' is just revisionist.

My point was to those pointing at the drop in ratings and quality as being a result of Punk not being on TV, instead of that drop in ratings and quality being directly caused by Punk's actions and walk-out.

I stand corrected re: Punk advising talent, from the examples given in this thread. I assume he was still DMing while at home.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Louch said:

Remember it wasn’t just Punk we left, the elite had to get taken off tv and they had a raft of other injuries as well. No wonder things felt rushed and directionless as they course corrected losing top of the roster guys 

Not only was it Punk and the Elite, they all had belts - they had to vacate the brand new Trios titles immediately after a tournament to crown the first champions, and vacate a World Title that had already been bounced around and had interim belts and everything else.

I'm a firm believer that you do your best booking when circumstances force your hand, and I think Tony Khan's biggest weakness is that he's not very good at that, but I don't know how anyone could have made sense of the situation he found himself in, creatively.

17 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

The guy kicked off publicly against the other biggest names in the company, then walked away for months.

I don't think it's fair to say he "walked away". He was injured, he'd have been away for the same amount of time regardless.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

I'm a firm believer that you do your best booking when circumstances force your hand, and I think Tony Khan's biggest weakness is that he's not very good at that, but I don't know how anyone could have made sense of the situation he found himself in, creatively.

I think they actually did remarkably well considering.

AEW's biggest benefit is that if you remove one person, the whole company doesn't crumble. They generally haven't put all their eggs in one basket and they've got a deep roster that can cope with losing a Punk or an Omega etc. The issue was never that the talent wasn't there to deliver but just the general chaos that I'm sure TK had to be worrying about backstage, plus some personal stuff I believe too. Throw all that together and yeah it was always going to be a struggle.

I don't think it's any surprise that the product has been so strong lately now everything seems to have settled down a bit.

5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Not only was it Punk and the Elite, they all had belts - they had to vacate the brand new Trios titles immediately after a tournament to crown the first champions, and vacate a World Title that had already been bounced around and had interim belts and everything else.

All Out also coincided with some of the talent reportedly wanting out of their deals to go back to WWE. For a mix of reasons All Out marked time off for Miro, Andrade, and Malakai Black with Buddy gone from Grand Slam.

I think it's fair to say that AEW missed Punk when he was gone. He's a big name in the business, with a lot of fans, and he's entertaining. But, they have other big names and entertaining wrestlers on the roster.

I certainly never thought "damn, this show is shit without Punk" once during his absence.

I did, however, think "man, it'll be even better when Punk comes back."

• Paid Members
On 6/20/2023 at 6:54 AM, Pinc said:

Does anyone actually believe this?

Well I believe it for one and it has been the running theme of our group chat over the last few months. I haven't come across anyone yet that wasn't relieved when Punk got canned. His arrival and debut, as anticipated and as good as it was, led to AEW diverging from their storylines and doing a TNA by accomodating big names and assuming they would carry the company.  Unfortunately, Punk isn't a draw and didn't have any impact on the shows other than making them slightly worse. Big names can work, but they only work if the storylines and people around them are on board and that's never been the case with Punk in my opinion.