2023 Royal Rumble

gmoney

10 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Me watching everyone psyche themselves up for the Rumble only to be ultimately let down as per usual

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

Absolutely! But the way I look at it is I enjoy the build up and the possibilities as much as anything.

It's nice to have something to look forward and be excited about even if the end result never ends up being what you've dreamt up in your head. But a lot of the time that's just wrestling as a whole anyway.

Last year's rumble was the first one I've not seen. I heard it was shite and never bothered watching it. 

I'm going to watch this year's live though as I've got Monday off.

Even before last year there's 2 Rumble clichés I've long been sick of and hope they phase out. 1- an entrant comes in and immediately hits his finisher on all the men in the ring. Everyone stands about watching and then walks themselves into a finisher. Fake shite. 2- the overdone returns. Same old people appear, do their taunts, maybe hit a move or two, then they're out by the time the next entrant is in. If we actually have a legend return this year I'd make it someone who can still go a bit and have some time in the Rumble, while the announcers emphasize how much of a shock this is and how they could go on and win it.

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

I'm going to watch this year's live though as I've got Monday off.

Just to say the Rumble is on Saturday, not Sunday - in case you or anyone else ends up accidentally missing it! Not having to be up early the next day is the only reason I'm watching it this year.

54 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Just to say the Rumble is on Saturday, not Sunday - in case you or anyone else ends up accidentally missing it! Not having to be up early the next day is the only reason I'm watching it this year.

I did not know this, thanks mate!

1 hour ago, LEGIT said:

Fake shite.

I doubt they'll be doing any shoot Rumbles any time soon so might have to get used to that.

But in all seriousness it's one of the laziest ways of booking the Rumble. The best ones are layered with various storylines and feuds and callbacks. No one just wants person coming out and hitting everyone and then repeat.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

But in all seriousness it's one of the laziest ways of booking the Rumble. The best ones are layered with various storylines and feuds and callbacks. No one just wants person coming out and hitting everyone and then repeat.

Absolutely. The Rumble should be a booker's dream - 30 characters to play with, and all the different interactions within that. A good Rumble can start a feud or two ("you eliminated me from the Rumble, I want revenge"), settle a feud (say two big lads are feuding and there's no confidence in them having a decent match, just blow it off by having one get the other over the top rope), and call back to another (old rivals go face-to-face for the first time in a while), as well as stuff like the nostalgia entrants, former tag partners working together, or first time encounters between stars that have been kept apart. Done well, it could set up or signal half the card for Wrestlemania, or at least stories for the coming month, but usually it's all meaningless apart from the winner.

• Paid Members

At least having 2 Rumbles now allows WWE to use both of the battle royal finishes they know these days:

1. Final two both end up on the apron and dramatically fight there until one falls off.

2. Someone looks like they've won but then someone who has been laying on the floor for 5 minutes* comes back in again and sneaks up behind them.

*I maintain that being outside the ring for more than 60 seconds in any kind of battle royal should result in elimination. Especially if it's by choice.

Love the Rumble, always been my favourite event and a SATURDAY night Rumble. Even better.

Obviously I won't be watching it live, and will miss out on all the people that are far too superior for WWE and hate watch and tweet along, but a Sunday morning with the Rumble, a couple of pots of coffee and breakfast? Lovely stuff.

Cody to win it.

38 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Love the Rumble, always been my favourite event and a SATURDAY night Rumble. Even better.

Obviously I won't be watching it live, and will miss out on all the people that are far too superior for WWE and hate watch and tweet along, but a Sunday morning with the Rumble, a couple of pots of coffee and breakfast? Lovely stuff.

Sami to win it.

Couldn't agree more! It's definitely my favourite event consistently, although I used to love Survivor Series when I was younger and it was a rare chance to see people tag etc. Obviously these days everyone pops up everywhere so who gives a shit. But the Rumble? The possibilities are endless. Who's going to turn up? Who will cross paths? Who will win? WHO WILL POINT AT THAT FUCKING SIGN A HUNDRED MILLION TIMES WHILE MICHAEL COLE LOSES HIS SHIT?

But yeah. Fucking love it. Fucking love Saturday PPVs too.

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Jay White mentioned in an official post..?

They did the same last year too.

I’ll be watching live although I’m working Sunday as I know I’ll be spoiled on social media otherwise, The Rumbles always my favourite PPV although I’ve been disappointed by the last few years.

Heart Says Sami(obviously) Head says Cody.

I would say Ripley to win the women’s but I can see Beth Phoenix turning up to start a Mania feud and eliminate her.  So I’ll go with Becky.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Jay White mentioned in an official post..?

It's BT Sport's account, rather than an official WWE post.

Same basic idea as the BT Sport football account posting Jude Bellingham photoshopped into a Liverpool kit and captioning "Could we be seeing this soon?"

I'd imagine WWE could ask them to remove stuff if they didn't like it (as I'm sure the Premier League could for stuff on the football account) but I'd not take anything posted there as WWE approved or truly "in the know".

12 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

They did the same last year too.

I’ll be watching live although I’m working Sunday as I know I’ll be spoiled on social media otherwise, The Rumbles always my favourite PPV although I’ve been disappointed by the last few years.

Heart Says Sami(obviously) Head says Cody.

I would say Ripley to win the women’s but I can see Beth Phoenix turning up to start a Mania feud and eliminate her.  So I’ll go with Becky.

2022 was really rubbish I'll give you and I feel like it's unfair to judge 2021 as it was in the Thunderdome, but 2020 was one of the best ones there's ever been   (just talking about the men's Rumbles here).

• Paid Members

Meltzer on today’s Observer Radio arguing that if you study the ratings and go with what’s hot and drawing, the only answer for Rumble winner and Mania main-eventer is Sami Zayn.

I haven’t cared about ratings in forever and think all ratings talk is invariably flawed and boring. Can I just shock you though? I now think ratings are incredibly important and all creative decisions should be based upon them. Let’s go!

Edited by Supremo