2023 Royal Rumble

gmoney

• Paid Members

I haven't watched in donkeys, but I'd be fucking astounded if, long running story or not, WWE pick Sami Zayn as the person that beats Roman for the belt at Mania. It'd surprise me if he won the Rumble too, but not as much as beating Roman, which would knock me dead. 

Sami Zayn beating Roman Reigns is about as likely as The Rock actually main eventing the show. 

Cody is most likely I'd say, with a second option being Sami winning, facing Roman in February and losing, with Cody stepping in for the big dance. 

Or maybe the Luger/Bret finish, Zayn Vs Cody on night 1 with the winner facing Roman on night 2. 

Edit: All the same, I said a lot of this type of stuff about Austin last year. I thought there was fuck all chance he was coming back. So whatever I think is likely, is probably the total opposite of what's going to happen. 

Edited by WeeAl

Sami winning the Rumble doesn't feel like the right next step though to me. He's trying to get in with the Bloodline so why would he try and win the Rumble to get a shot at the title - unless he's trying to win it so no one else can fight Roman (but even that's flawed). He needs an action to happen to make him stand up to Roman Reigns and have the big turn and just winning the Rumble, as big as a moment would be for him as an individual, just doesn't fit that story for me.

Rhodes winning the rumble and building to a title showdown makes more sense for trying to make an better selling challenger to Reigns. 

Sami is the great story and he should come out of it in a much better position in the top of the card but he either ends up with a shock win somewhere, which Roman, gets a win back on or comes up close and doesn't quite do it before transitioning off into something else 

33 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

Sami winning the Rumble doesn't feel like the right next step though to me. He's trying to get in with the Bloodline so why would he try and win the Rumble to get a shot at the title - unless he's trying to win it so no one else can fight Roman (but even that's flawed). He needs an action to happen to make him stand up to Roman Reigns and have the big turn and just winning the Rumble, as big as a moment would be for him as an individual, just doesn't fit that story for me.

Rhodes winning the rumble and building to a title showdown makes more sense for trying to make an better selling challenger to Reigns. 

Sami is the great story and he should come out of it in a much better position in the top of the card but he either ends up with a shock win somewhere, which Roman, gets a win back on or comes up close and doesn't quite do it before transitioning off into something else 

It absolutely makes sense that Roman would want Sami to enter the Rumble and make sure no one else wins it and then lay down for his Tribal Chief.

It's not "just winning the Rumble". It's the dynamic of what happens next. Roman gets cocky and believes that he's getting through Mania unscathed because he's facing a guy who will lay down for him through loyalty. He gets cockier and cockier and Zayn eventually turns on him.

• Paid Members

I must admit, I do wonder with Cody - is anyone going to really care? To the point of being the absolute tippy top guy who finally topples Reigns?

Sure he was hot at the time he got hurt, but he was still very much in a honeymoon period with the novelty of this guy who not only was a big deal in the hot new rival promotion, but who CO-FOUNDED it, now being back in the WWE mix.

We'll obviously never know if he'd have cooled off by now if he'd been around consistently, and most people usually get a good pop after a lengthy absence, but once that's gone, I dunno. Will the ex-AEW novelty have worn off, leaving him to have to be a top guy purely on his own merits? Plus, if you do run with him you're effectively (if not deliberately) putting him into direct competition with Sami for the affection of the fans, and I dunno how well that might turn out for Cody.

I'm wondering if Sami does win the rumble, if they do something different at the EC PPV. Maybe a big tag match or something with the turn coming there on the way to Mania?

I still think it will be Sami entering the Rumble, only to get to the final two and lose to Cody though, Reigns snaps on the Smackdown after, faces Sami in Montreal then Cody at Mania.

This years Rumble may only have two obvious options but thats what makes it so interesting for me. Sami is the option that makes perfect sense. Roman’s “your final test comes at the Rumble” was a fantastic line that throws so many scenarios about. If the Reigns/Owens match was no DQ then it would make sense for Reigns to make Sami show his loyalty by pummelling Owens for him. As its a straight up match that isn’t what I believe will happen.

It makes sense to me for Reigns to make Sami enter the rumble and stop anyone else winning. As well as the rest of the bloodline. Sami wins and the roof blows off. This then makes Reigns even more cocky as he organises a Bloodline celebration ceremony for the main event of Wrestlemania where Sami lays down for his tribal chief as the ultimate sacrifice and tribute to the bloodline.

Sami becomes torn however as others get in his ear (Owens) asking him not to give up his dream if main eventing wrestlemania and Sami becomes more and more aware of his destiny and dreams while Reigns becomes more paranoid. Something is set up for EC where it all finally blows up and Sami turns on the bloodline and becomes the ultimate face heading into mania v Reigns.

No doubt it will all play out differently but Sami winning on Saturday makes more sense than anything right now unless they are going to go down the Reigns defends both nights of Mania route.

46 minutes ago, Zaheer said:

After this week's Raw I don't want to see Sami turning on the Bloodline but maybe splitting off with the Uso's turning on Roman. He's treated them like s*it the entire time. 

If that happened I may combust

A version of this is what I've been thinking too. To have Sami 'turn' seems wrong - he has to assume the Usos would side with Roman no matter what, and part of what has made Sami so relatable is that he genuinely seems to want to be part of their group but doesn't fit. This could be better development for Roman. He's been the bullying alpha dog for so long, bossing around the rest of the group, touting that it's about the family but actually making it all about him. To have him tell Sami to lie down, only for Sami to say no, it's Wrestlemania and he wants to see if he can stand up against the Tribal Chief, AND the Usos both step back to say to both of them "Have at it. Work it out. Prove both of yourselves to US" would be a climax that involves every member (maybe not Solo, but my fantasy booking only goes so far!). If Sami then wins, we get the feel-good WM ending, and Roman can go away for a while, reassess himself, and return as either the face leader after reconnecting with his 'mana' or as the heel challenger to the rest of the Bloodline.

1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

I still think it will be Sami entering the Rumble, only to get to the final two and lose to Cody though, Reigns snaps on the Smackdown after, faces Sami in Montreal then Cody at Mania.

If Sami does enter the Rumble and isn't going to win, I think he has to get eliminated long before the final two. If it's Cody vs. Sami at the end, I can't see a situation where the fans wouldn't side with Sami, and where Cody would not get booed. 

However, if Roman Reigns really is pulling double duty at 'Mania, you could still have Cody win the Rumble, and have Sami win the opportunity to face Roman for the other belt in the Chamber. 

7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

If Sami does enter the Rumble and isn't going to win, I think he has to get eliminated long before the final two. If it's Cody vs. Sami at the end, I can't see a situation where the fans wouldn't side with Sami, and where Cody would not get booed. 

However, if Roman Reigns really is pulling double duty at 'Mania, you could still have Cody win the Rumble, and have Sami win the opportunity to face Roman for the other belt in the Chamber. 

This could be a way to go. If they are hell bent on shoving Cody in there have him win the Rumble, and the night after have Pearce say that Roman will be defending one title one night, and the other the following night.

That way Roman could give Sami another chance by winning the EC in his hometown so that Roman only has to Wrestle one night with Sami lying down for him on the other.

• Paid Members

After RAW, it really feels like the direction should be all of the Bloodline realising they're being used. I can already picture Sami and Roman coming face-to-face, and The Usos just walking out and abandoning Reigns to his fate.

Eventually, they're presumably going to want to turn Roman babyface again too. So I wonder if the actual end-game is Heyman siding with Solo Sikoa later down the line, with Reigns going back babyface.