2023 Royal Rumble

gmoney

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, FUM said:

Crazy how many fantasy bookers are working themselves into acting like Sami/KO v The Usos is a deserved ending for this story because they don’t want the disappointment of the proper logical ending where Romans head gets taken off by Sami or Jey not happening.

Yeahhh.... I think there's a stark difference between a story getting the right ending being the be-all and end-all, and the situation they have with Reigns which is that he's had one of the belts for 2 and a half years, and THE title for a year come Mania, and realistically you have to end a run like that by anointing a new "face of the company" level guy. That's not Zayn, is it?

If Kev/Sami win the tag belts at Mania you can always do the Reigns vs Zayn match at In Your House/Backlash/Extreme Rules/whatever. I'd have Roman win by cheating but Sami clout him with a chair afterwards and stand triumphant over his motionless body before walking away, dignity restored. In no way does he actually have to pin Reigns to end the story in the right way, much less take the title.

Montreal crowd is gonna be molten for a title match between them. Make it the most convoluted attitude era run in heavy ending ever and have Roman sneak the win and Zayn loses nothing. Then you have the bloodline cracking between the and mania and you have them all refuse to help Roman against Cody and he defeats him. Hell even have Roman refuse to let Solo help owens and Zayn night one so they see it wasn’t about family it was about him to push them to that edge more quickly 

• Paid Members

Finally finished the show. Enjoyed it overall!

Rumble was ok and I loved Gunther. Shame there wasn’t really any surprises or anything a bit different (Elias quickly being eliminated, running to the back for a quick shave and coming back out as Ezekiel was right there!) but ah well! 

I echo the love for the main event! Everyone at their absolute peak. 

To cut a long story short my Step Mum is living with us at the moment and she was downstairs when watching the Womens Rumble and main event. It’s funny, she knows they can’t really be hurting each other badly but I think she does believe quite a bit of it. She was so pissed off that everyone ganged up on Nia Jax and was legit on the edge of her seat at the end (“she can’t see!!!!!”). It was quite cool to see someone like that over something we all know the ins and outs of. I imagine it’s a bit like how the old biddys saw the WOS stuff back in the 70s

During the stairs spot in the main event she almost screamed and I went full on JR with “this ain’t ballet Grandma!”. And during the beat down she said “Is this live? Someone should call the police!!”. So it added another sweet layer to watching a fairly decent show 

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Grans watching wrestling is the best. I remember so fondly my gran telling me wrestling wasn't real, but when she saw it was for the World Championship (Shawn MIchaels vs Jerry Lawlor) she was adamant that THIS was real. 

Probably got that from the Terry Funk episode of Quantum Leap.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:20 PM, FUM said:

Crazy how many fantasy bookers are working themselves into acting like Sami/KO v The Usos is a deserved ending for this story because they don’t want the disappointment of the proper logical ending where Romans head gets taken off by Sami or Jey not happening.

Totally with you on this. When WWE themselves are talking about the storytelling here as ‘Emmy level’, I just don’t understand the logic of not paying that ‘Emmy level’ story off at Wrestlemania. They might get away with it in terms of crowd reaction, but not having your hottest storyline close your biggest show simply isn’t a good choice. It kind of does Cody a disservice too, as a fraction of the audience will find it harder to find an investment in his title chase that they otherwise would have had. 

18 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Totally with you on this. When WWE themselves are talking about the storytelling here as ‘Emmy level’, I just don’t understand the logic of not paying that ‘Emmy level’ story off at Wrestlemania. They might get away with it in terms of crowd reaction, but not having your hottest storyline close your biggest show simply isn’t a good choice. It kind of does Cody a disservice too, as a fraction of the audience will find it harder to find an investment in his title chase that they otherwise would have had. 

Look if it ends with Sami Zayn doing a "Wrestlemania 9 Hulk Hogan" and beating Roman Reigns after Cody loses valiantly, it will be the greatest Mania moment ever. 

Especially if they tie up ALL the loose ends and have everyone Roman ever fuck around with in the year (Mcintyre, Sheamus, Owens, Brawling Brutes) come out to even the score. 

It won't happen. And I will cry myself to sleep over this fact.

Edit: Oh and next night on Raw after winning a tag match, Owen's powerbombs Zayn on the apron, as a flashback to their NXT days, because fuck it, if Im gonna overbook let's go the whole hog.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne