AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Ricky Starks looked like the next Rock.

In the same way Fin Martin used to say Ken Kennedy was the next Rock in Powerslam. 

Also, I may have missed it, but is there a story behind Swerves new crew? Or do they just put their “hoods up”and meant to be menacing? Had a look at Parker B’s Instagram and he appears to have a hefty number of followers, but he was unremarkable when I’ve watched him and doesn’t really seem worthy of such attention. And the other guy..just what is he doing apart from strutting around the ring. Swerve is fine, and even great, on his own or a more original idea for a group!

• Paid Members

Parker Boudreaux was previously on NXT I think so that's probably where his followers are from. Not really a story behind them, they just turned up one show. Parker is terrible, the other guy is apparently a trainee and green as grass. I hate them. These two neo nazi looking dudes hanging out with a black rapper character just doesn't work at all for me.

10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

These two neo nazi looking dudes hanging out with a black rapper character just doesn't work at all for me.

That’s what I was thinking too, I don’t think it will even work over time. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re one of the storylines that just disappears

• Paid Members

Parker Boudreaux needs to consider himself lucky that Top Dolla is on Smackdown, otherwise he'd be the shittest wrestler inexplicably getting TV time. I don't know what Swerve did to deserve getting saddled with both of them over the years.

• Paid Members

Because of his slight resemblance to Brock Lesnar!

But yeah, that's the Boudreaux story pretty well summed up. Got a shot in WWE developmental because of his look, people started hyping him as the Next Next Big Thing because he looked a bit like Brock, Heyman did ca "Yeah, he does look a bit like Brock, that's a great look" tweet which people took to mean he was good, then WWE realised he wasn't getting it after a few weeks on TV & sacked him off.

TK then had the old ex-WWE, must have been hard done by by management blinkers on and took him in, at which point it turned out - yep, he's actually crap.

• Paid Members

Brilliant opener, KT/SG leathered each other, had some creative counters and tore it up. The first match I’ve watched of a marathon weekend of wrestling and it was ace. The anticipation of the four-way pillars match is going to build and build and build through matches like this. 

Enjoyed the energetic HOB/BF tag. Big fan of how House of Black do the spooky bollocks - presentation looks epic, but the action looks ace as well. They also come across as vicious bullies. It’s the sort of direction I think Bray Wyatt could do with - they’ve got the presentation down, but in-ring it just doesn’t translate to good tele. Buddy tossing Orange Cassidy down the ramp like a basketball looked sick. No issue with double DQ, sets up the trios tag nicely. 

Shafir would be a good fit as a female member of the BCC - Moxley’s already been talking her up and I think she’d massively benefit from being associated with the group as a female counterpart.  Taya’s ace and The eventual match with Jade will be great.

Decent main event, AA is really fun to watch. Not quite sold on Juice Robinson just yet but these two gelled quite nicely. 

Really fun show to kickstart a marathon wrestling weekend. Amazing how much action you can cram into an hour with gold planning. Thoroughly decent Rampage, baby. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I unashamedly love Julia Hart and Anna Jay, but that match was rough as fuck.

If they shaved off 5 minutes it would have been perfectly acceptable, they just aren't ready for longer matches.

Rest of the show was ace, everything was great. Darby vs Moriarty is worth checking out, absolutely tremendous match. Hook also had by far his best and most competitive outing yet with Page who worked wonders here. Much preferred this show to Dynamite. 

And Darby took an all time horrific face splat.