AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

• Paid Members

Three great moments of Rampage this week:

1) The Stokely Hathaway training skit was hilarious and exactly the type of short and sweet segments that they need to do more of. Really maximizing your minutes of TV type stuff where you can show characters and hype something up very quickly in an entertaining way. I'm now excited for the Dynamite match with Hook when I didn't care previously.Ā 

2) likewise, Don Callis bringing a bemused Takeshita flowers and tribal drumming is just absolutely ace. Telling a story but in the perfect absurb way than only wrestling can really do. Also, showing different locations especially ones in the 'real world' makes everything feel more vibrant and interesting than the usual backstage area stuff.

3) Daniel Garcia running from Brody King for ages but having to stop to flirt with Julia Hart being his downfall. Love goofy character stuff like this.Ā 

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Ā 

3) Daniel Garcia running from Brody King for ages but having to stop to flirt with Julia Hart being his downfall. Love goofy character stuff like this.Ā 

I love that Garcia has a desire to be this kinda entertaining wrestler as a heel, after being championed as the next dull Danielson type. Jericho getting him in JES has been great for his all round development and protected him from over exposureĀ 

• Paid Members

I'm convinced Starks is getting a secret burial for being spotted at the Rumble. No way a guy's stock could deplete as fast as his has after the Jericho feud and now the Juice feud. The guy was red hot not that long ago with people wanting him to beat MJF for the big one, now he's had two shitter feuds in a row.

Iā€™m starting to think that the Starks hype might have been a bit inflatedā€¦asking myself; was he ever actually that entertaining in the ring? Relatively decent promos, but not ground breaking. Not really sure how he can build further on being ā€œabsoluteā€?

33 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I'm convinced Starks is getting a secret burial for being spotted at the Rumble. No way a guy's stock could deplete as fast as his has after the Jericho feud and now the Juice feud. The guy was red hot not that long ago with people wanting him to beat MJF for the big one, now he's had two shitter feuds in a row.

That's just almost everyone though. Jericho's the only one that's able to politic himself into something TV time consuming from week-week/month-month. Think of all the groans around Daniel Garcia being the one to challenge Adam Cole. No one's complaining about the match itself, it's the worry that it's a forerunner to a Jericho feud.

The heel side of the divide in AEW has often been the weakest, and where Starks would struggle for opponents for decent TV time. The World title is tied up in the 4 Pillars by the looks of things. TNT Title is with Hobbs who he just feuded with. BCC have turned heel but tied up with Dark Order/Elite/Hangman.

We're in Jarrett's TNA legacy group, LFI, Sabian/B&B, Trustbusters/Varsity Athletes territory.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, TobyK said:

Iā€™m starting to think that the Starks hype might have been a bit inflatedā€¦asking myself; was he ever actually that entertaining in the ring? Relatively decent promos, but not ground breaking. Not really sure how he can build further on being ā€œabsoluteā€?

He's definitely capable of a very good match and while a decent promo yeah he's probably not main event level yet. It's a shame he didn't get a chance to have a good sustained heel run before turning face.Ā 

Ofcourse being lumbered with Juice Robinson, a total shitarse, isn't going to help. They should put him in a blood feud with Rush. The flashy smooth face having to dig deep and discover his inner violent nasty side against a psycho heel like Rush would be the perfect thing for both men.

• Paid Members

Ricky Starks looked like the next Rock. Then they saddled him with Jericho, followed by Juice, and he now looks like the next Randy Orton, childishly sulking and going through the motions. He's best mates with Cody, isn't he? I suspect chats have been had about jumping.

Edited by Supremo