AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

For some reason I've bought tickets for Wembley so figured I should probably start watching AEW again. Its obviously been longer than I thought by the fact that no one has mentioned how knock off WWE the set is. Guessing its been that way for a while. 

Real fun little show. All wrestling shows should be an hour anyway but this also had the benefit of having fairly different matches for the whole show. That's what wrestling should be. 60 minute variety show. 

The fans reacted to a women's match! How long has that been happening for? It's still bizarre to me to see Emi on TV, even if she is great, because he feels so suited to small venues. 

Whoever designs NJPW belts now should be put in the ring with Suzuki. That TV title is fucking awful. 

They could end up really regretting the air horns. Clearly plants to make the match stand out, which seems like a good idea, but then you don't want actual fans bringing those fucking things to every show. 

Schiavone is still the best. JR would still be better backstage but whatever. 

Totally here for the Audrey mixed tag match. I know it's a bizarre way to build up to her being a playable character in the video game (especially when you can't do the match they're building to) but I love this kind of panto shit. 

• Paid Members

Just noticed AEW All Access is on Max (the rebranded HBO Max). Maybe testing the waters to see about showing one of the main shows, or just part of them showing reality shows now HBO Max merged with Discovery.

• Paid Members

Shockingly good show considering it’ll probably have one of the lowest viewerships of all time. You have to assume even the hardcore fans will likely start skipping this show in favour of Collision, yet this felt like one of better episodes in a while. All killer no filler.

Good opener. Where the fuck are House of Black? Feels like the last few weeks has seen tonnes of great Trios matches, with a thriving division emerging, and yet the actual Champions have seemingly vanished. Weird.

Belting main event. Slow, plodding, heel Takeshita is going to take some getting used to - which I guess is the point - but this built brilliantly by the end. Takeshita is a superstar in the making. Surprisingly great as a heel. Don Callis continues to be a phenomenal prick, too.

Six-person tag was a perfect, dumb fun. One positive I will say about Jim Ross in 2023 is that when he’s calling something you assume he hates, when they manage to break him and make him laugh? There isn’t a more genuine, heartwarming reaction in the business. It was one of the first times you knew Orange Cassidy was going to go all the way; when Jim couldn’t help himself but chuckle along with the silliness. They got him here, too. I can’t even remember what the spot was, but he was howling at one point. It’s like when your Dad tries to slag everything off and then suddenly pops for something. Brilliant.

Also; whilst I’m sure one hundred percent of the credit belongs to Jeff Jarrett for how he sold it, Papa Briscoe looks to have one of the best Spears in the game. Looked amazing. Another success in what’s becoming the best run of Jeff’s career. Ain’t he great!

Edited by Supremo

11 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Where the fuck are House of Black? Feels like the last few weeks has seen tonnes of great Trios matches, with a thriving division emerging, and yet the actual Champions have seemingly vanished. Weird.

Going by Buddy's match, the announcement of the Acclaimed making an appearance, as well as House of Black being heavily used in promo posters. Decent shout you'll see them tonight on Collision.