Chris B

• Paid Members

They should probably just stop with the media scrums after PPVs at this point, or just have Khan do them by himself. They always seem to distract from the PPV or lead to some daft backstage drama of some kind.

I think it's interesting timing, all of this backstage drama happening at the exact same time WWE has become the emperor's new nose. AEW has historically been seen as the babyface company (which is a ridiculous notion anyway) compared to WWE but the tide seems to be changing on that front.

2 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

They should probably just stop with the media scrums after PPVs at this point, or just have Khan do them by himself. They always seem to distract from the PPV or lead to some daft backstage drama of some kind.

I agree with this as its not 'in character' but its not 'out of character' either and rather than blurring the lines, it just leads to confusion and crap.

• Paid Members

I'd say Punk is pretty clearly in the wrong.

He's kicked off over perceived slights - He's heard the rumours that he got Cabana pulled from shows and just assumed the Bucks were responsible for the story. He took Page's promo as a dig over Cabana, when it might not have been and was forgettable anyway.

Instead of having a quiet word about it, he's went nuclear and publicly too. Threatening to no show, that daft shite with Hangman, freaking out because one fan chanted "Colt Cabana" and now this? It's a mess. We should be talking about the Pay Per View and upcoming matches but instead we're talking about Ace Steel and Colt Cabana.

I don't know what really happened between Punk and Cabana and, honestly, I don't care. It does feel that Punk has got so paranoid about being painted as "The Bad Guy" in the situation that it's become self-fulfilling. It'll be interesting to hear the crowd reaction to him on Wednesday and, also how he handles it.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, unfitfinlay said:

It'll be interesting to hear the crowd reaction to him on Wednesday and, also how he handles it.

I think I said it in the PPV thread, but it might be worth just leaving him off telly this week. It would be an odd choice for your newly crowned champion, but they've announced MJF will be there, and he can carry his side of the story well enough on his own. It would do Punk and Tony Khan some good to allow some distance between themselves and this story, wait and see if it blows over a bit, or if there's anything else still to come to light. 

3 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Not sure if I’ve missed something, but what’s the story with the million dollar gate thing?

Gleaning from context, I think what he’s trying to say is he could have walked after Page’s promo rather than work the PPV.

Bucks and Omega go to CM Punk's locker room. At the very least there's then Matt, Nick, Omega, Punk, Ace Steel, Ace Steel's wife with a broken foot, and Larry the dog in there. Once it kicks off other people get involved including the cops.

Nobody has speculated on what was said or how it was it said, and while some of the events have been described I haven't seen a cohesive timeline of how things broke down.

1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'm not sure I agree, generally they've been fine and have provided good insight into what's going on. But clearly, steps have to be taken to prevent something like this from ever happening again. 

51 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think I said it in the PPV thread, but it might be worth just leaving him off telly this week. It would be an odd choice for your newly crowned champion, but they've announced MJF will be there, and he can carry his side of the story well enough on his own. It would do Punk and Tony Khan some good to allow some distance between themselves and this story, wait and see if it blows over a bit, or if there's anything else still to come to light. 

They could always air a video of some sort. They don't always play them to the live crowd anyway, so it would allow them to avoid the inevitable negative reaction; and perhaps buy them some time to attempt some form of mediation. 

57 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

I don't know what really happened between Punk and Cabana and, honestly, I don't care. It does feel that Punk has got so paranoid about being painted as "The Bad Guy" in the situation that it's become self-fulfilling. It'll be interesting to hear the crowd reaction to him on Wednesday and, also how he handles it.

One of the things I find bizarre about this is how much effort it actually would take to hold the level of animosity Punk appears to feel towards so many people. It must be absolutely exhausting. Generally, it's far easier just to let things go and forgive people, or at the very least forget about whatever pissed you off in the first place.