Pro Wrestling NOAH Thread

Mark

If I understand the news correctly, and he really did start the match with one broken ankle, then FFS, who's letting him get to the ring, regardless of the match? Kota is an extreme case because he's seemingly sought out ways to destroy himself for years, but even so, I still go back to this recent plea from Stevie Richards (posted after the notorious Mox vs Fenix finish):

(from about the 3 minute mark)

I suspected when Kota came to the CWC looking doughy and slow that he was propped up by chemicals, but if 18 months either away or being "protected" by multi-mans still can't stop him smashing his ankles to bits and (also FFS) just picking up handfuls of thumbtacks and sticking them in himself, then something else needs to be done.

I'm also looking forward to seeing footage of the post-match promos by Jake Lee and Kiyomiya, because apparently (according to Reddit, anyway) they came off legitimately pissed that Ibushi had been brought in at the top of the card, beat one of their top names over 30+ minutes, only to have to disappear again.

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

word is he's fucked both ankles in that match, and what I've seen of the finish is hard to watch. He came into AEW with injuries, and apparently his shoulder has got worse since then, and now this. His body just seems completely shot after years of being Kota Ibushi.

Who would have thought that doing moonsaults and bodyslams in bookshops, shopping malls, funfairs and forests would fuck the body up so badly?

• Paid Members

It was really just sad to watch towards the end. Going 30 plus minutes on a broken ankle, probably injuring the other one, having no common sense to try and not bugger your body up any further. You kinda hope if he is as good friends with Kenny as is made out, he'll be the one to tell him to take an extended break, considering how battered his body was in this position not so long ago.

He just has the aura of not all being there, but a career of head drops and stupid stunts doesn't overly promise clear thinking towards what should be a natural end of your career.

Most interesting part of the show for me was the debut in ring of The Great Sakuya, Muta's "daughter" theyve been teasing through vignettes the last few weeks. Wasn't the worst match, if heavily overbooked but the look is just incredible and I'm excited to see where the character goes in Japan.

7 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

It was really just sad to watch towards the end. Going 30 plus minutes on a broken ankle, probably injuring the other one, having no common sense to try and not bugger your body up any further. You kinda hope if he is as good friends with Kenny as is made out, he'll be the one to tell him to take an extended break, considering how battered his body was in this position not so long ago.

Isn't Kenny pretty physically fucked too? Not as bad, obviously. I'm not sure he's the one to talk sense into Ibushi. I'm not sure anyone is. Ibushi has always struck me as a mad bastard who does whatever he wants. He's another one who seems to have an unhealthy love affair with wrestling and would probably be better off as far away from it as possible. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Vamp said:

Isn't Kenny pretty physically fucked too? Not as bad, obviously. I'm not sure he's the one to talk sense into Ibushi. I'm not sure anyone is. Ibushi has always struck me as a mad bastard who does whatever he wants. He's another one who seems to have an unhealthy love affair with wrestling and would probably be better off as far away from it as possible. 

Oh absolutely physically fucked but he had the wherewithal to take a few months off after losing the title to try and recover a bit. Ibushi tried to wrestle a 35 minute match on one leg. If anyone's concern would register to him you'd hope it would be Kenny telling his mate to look after himself for once.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I can't bring myself to watch footage of the Ibushi match. It was clear from his AEW appearances how far his health has declined, I just hope he stops before he destroys any hope of some quality of life, or indeed ends his own life. 

I dd want to see what 50 year old Super Crazy on a NOAH undercard in 2024 looks like. Unsurprisingly, not that great.

However, I also watched the GHC Jr Heavyweight tag 3-way and thought Alpha Wolf and Dragon Bane looked the business. So many of the things I look for in a tag team. A smaller more flippy one paired with a meaty more violent one, cool matching gear, excellent double teams, ridiculous 80s style metal-as-fuck names. 

image.thumb.png.a2fa7223ba7f78b8b06f4e69568315dd.png

They were doing loads of fancy co-ordinated flippy shit and then Alpha Wolf started headbutting guys left and right instead because he's a unit and his mask has a beard built into it. 

Instant fan of this team and will be watching more. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JLM said:

Wanted to see what 50 year old Super Crazy on a NOAH undercard in 2024 looks like. Unsurprisingly, not that great.

As much as I believe you on this, there's yet another ECW reunion show happening WrestleMania week, they're running Crazy/Tajiri back and I'm irrationally hyped for it*.

*And only it. The same card has Al Snow vs Shane Douglas on there!

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Tajiri can still go. He still looks like Tajiri, the kicks are still delightful, he can still play all the hits: 

He also still has bucketloads of physical charisma and sprays a mean mist. I’d still bloody love to see him perform live, especially as he’s said he’ll be calling it a day fairly soon. 

Super Crazy is younger than Tajiri but is in significantly worse shape. In the match I just watched he did some slow motion rolling about and looked thoroughly gassed after about a minute. He also posed and postured like he was going to moonsault but instead did a sort of standing pirouette and then sat on the guy. That said, I’ve seen he’s been wrestling 20 minute singles hardcore matches for NOAH, so he might have just been really coasting in this match. Saw a match from last year where he did a moonsault, so maybe he saves it for special occasions these days, which is a wise move. 

They always had incredible chemistry together so hopefully Tajiri can make the best of it and the nostalgia will do the rest. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

maybe ten years ago, I saw Zack Sabre Jr flogging NOAH calendars at his merch table, and he was jokingly complaining about how he was just crammed into the corner of a page of "gaijin" while everyone else got a month to themselves. I said it was pretty cool he got to share a page with Super Crazy, and he replied, "yeah, but Super Crazy is older than time".

It's wild that Crazy is still going, and still getting booked at this level, but then NOAH has one of the strangest rosters going and that's one of the reasons I enjoy watching them - old-timers popping up all over the place, but also giant luchadores and random Euro indie guys.

On 1/2/2024 at 3:11 PM, CavemanLynn said:

I still go back to this recent plea from Stevie Richards

So glad to see a professional wrestlers saying all this, as I've been saying this for a long time, and am usually told that the wrestlers know what they are doing and how it's all fine and stop fussing.

I love professional wrestling but I'm tired of wrestlers dying and/or ending their careers completely destroyed physically.  They, and we the fans, need to stop lionising wrestlers who appear to be on the road to this.  I get it - it's exciting to see Darby Allin wrestle the way he does, I loved the match this week, but we're all expecting him to end up in a wheelchair aren't we.

I remember when Kurt Angle was getting continuously injured and popping back up on tv, and the IWC opinion was that he healed and recovered well because of his Olympic training and his pro athlete regime.  Whereas we now know he was just popping pills all day.  I suspect the same is true of some of the current wrestlers, because as Richards says, wrestlers are idiots.

It is possible to wrestle matches and styles that allow for long careers (barring accidents which of course happen), but it takes not only the wrestlers and the bookers, but the fans to accept a slower, safer style.  It's one I personally prefer nowadays, perhaps because at some point I stopped enjoying seeing things that really seemed to be dangerous, at around the time my own body started aching from normal exercise regimes and I realised that we don't all have infinite capacity.

It's been great to see Sting's last run, and a proper retirement in his 60s.  I would like to think that current wrestlers might also be able to have matches into their 60s, but I'd struggle to pick one of AEW's current main eventers and put money on that, would you?

• Paid Members

Darby Allin is a weird one for it - when he's not wrestling he's doing skateboard tricks and insane stunts, so if he dialled it back in-ring he'd probably be chasing the same risks and stunts elsewhere. If he's going to do it, it's almost better that he do it in a controlled environment where there's a medical team on hand. 

It's also come out that Rush tore a hamstring in the Continental Classic - I remember thinking his leg had buckled weirdly in one of the matches - and worked through it for the rest of the tournament, and the eight-man at the PPV. 

We definitely need to stop lionising the idea of working injured. Everyone works hurt or banged up, but working through actual injuries and the whole "show must go on" mentality should be a thing of the past. I've been at shows a few times where the whole show was stopped, either entirely or for a prolonged period while waiting for an ambulance, after an injury - much smaller scale than AEW, admittedly, but in every case the audience have been very patient, understanding, and happy to prioritise wrestlers' safety over continuing the match. So if the crowd would rather the match be called off, the "show must go on" attitude has no justification any more, the match should just be stopped.

I think Japan are behind even most wrestling companies on this, though. I don't know if it's even commonplace for wrestling shows to have medical staff on hand - it was a long time ago now, but when Misawa died I remember reading that the doctor who attended to him was a spectator; they did a literal "is there a doctor in the house?" announcement over the house mic. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 8:47 PM, Shy Dad said:

You kinda hope if he is as good friends with Kenny as is made out,

Two things need addressing here, "as is made out" and "good friends." Yes, throughout the long-term very real relationship between Kenny and Kota, you could say they were/have been/are "good friends". That good friendship has never really been exclusive and/or has involved many other good friends of both genders on a virtually revolving-door basis, and is a fairly complicated good friendship to put a label on. You could even suggest they've been good friends with each other and other people at the same time. Group good friendship, if you like. Hope that helps.*

13 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

As much as I believe you on this, there's yet another ECW reunion show happening WrestleMania week, they're running Crazy/Tajiri back and I'm irrationally hyped for it*.

*And only it. The same card has Al Snow vs Shane Douglas on there!

That makes sense. How often does a show put on "The Best AND Worst" of their output? Great value.

*tl:dr ; they've been lovers.

Edited by air_raid