Pro Wrestling NOAH Thread

Mark

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Loki said:

Gay innuendo jokes in 2024?  I’m not sure it DOES need addressing, sorry Raider.

I thought I'd gone beyond innuendo and done my level best to spell it out without actually using the words? It was a lampoon of the delusion that certain circles of fans seem intent on sharing, that Kenny & Kota are "just really good friends" out of... I don't know, thinly veiled homophobia, as a guess? And no, I'm not suggesting that's Shy Dad, he probably just wasn't aware.

To make it clear : allegedly Kenny and Kota have had a sexual relationship. To each their own, love is love, no problem therein from my end. There are fans that seem incapable of accepting that. I do not suggest Shy Dad is one, but to answer his question, each would be a very strong influence on the other in any personal sense in real life. Apologies if anyone gets the wrong end of the stick, there are people reading this that could easily vouch for my attitudes to sexual orientation/inclusion. It was probably poorly thought out or worded or both. Apologies if I've misrepresented myself or offended anyone.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

We definitely need to stop lionising the idea of working injured. Everyone works hurt or banged up, but working through actual injuries and the whole "show must go on" mentality should be a thing of the past. I've been at shows a few times where the whole show was stopped, either entirely or for a prolonged period while waiting for an ambulance, after an injury - much smaller scale than AEW, admittedly, but in every case the audience have been very patient, understanding, and happy to prioritise wrestlers' safety over continuing the match. So if the crowd would rather the match be called off, the "show must go on" attitude has no justification any more, the match should just be stopped.

Years ago, wrestlers were using steroids, alcohol and pain pills to keep working, and that was in rings far stiffer and more dangerous than today. Every time rings have been amended to make them "safer" (thicker padding, more flexible springs, bouncier ropes, etc.), all that's happened is that many workers take it as safer to do MORE and more dangerous bumps. Combine that with many workers coming up from a "weekend warrior" background where they had one or more weeks to recover from every self-inflicted battering in front of low-three-figures crowds, and you've got workers working less realistically and getting more beat up than before, all for crowds who can see through the charade and never get the emotional, personal connection required for business to take off. Now instead of hidden steroids, it's visible kinesiotape. You've got Kota and Darby destroying themselves at the top, and Johnny Kickpads (still a thing after 20 years, unbelievably) at the bottom posting pictures of chests bloodied from chops and boards under the ring with captions like "Show this to your frends (sic) when they say wrestlings fake." There's nothing glorious or heroic about CHOOSING to take risks that the paying crowds don't need or ask for. If all you've got to offer is a willingness to take punishment in an art built on fooling the crowd into thinking for a moment it's real, then you need a different kind of help, one that Kota certainly sorely needs.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

We definitely need to stop lionising the idea of working injured. Everyone works hurt or banged up, but working through actual injuries and the whole "show must go on" mentality should be a thing of the past.

This the God's honest truth. It was fairly telling on here when Cody was half purple for his Rollins match, between those saying "What a trooper" and those us saying "You daft twat". We the fans don't always help matters, even if the buck stops with the companies.