The "Tony Khan is ace!" thread

David

• Paid Members

On Tony as a stats nerd, I've heard from people who work there that a lot of the shows are structured around that sort of thing - whether it's featuring people on TV more based on the impact they have on ratings, putting bigger matches in the segments that more people are likely to be watching (hence why Rampage tends to open with the biggest match on the card when they have a good lead-in), but also in recognising which wrestlers garner attention from specific demographics or locations. I'd wager that the reason they're having Danhausen and Hook interact a lot lately is that they'll tick a lot of the same boxes in terms of social media engagement, and that's just one of the simpler things. I'm sure there's way more that we'd never have thought of. 

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I think how he treats his talent and office staff is probably his biggest plus point. He seems like a good guy with them and actually gives a shit.

He also is living out his teenage fantasy and seems genuinely excited by his product, unlike the other promotion

And on that, I like that it must piss Vince off that this fucking kid cannot be bought or intimidated by him as his Dad has more money than sense. This aint TNA getting in every ex WWE talent that was released, the bloke nicked Daniel Bryan and Mox off of him.

I'm feeling a bit moany today, a lot of what you've said there is hyperbole.

How do you know how Vince treats his office staff? He must also treat his talent so bad most of them hang around forever, in fact the only ones that really seem to be moaning after jumping ship are the indy darlings who think they deserve more (see Keith Lee, Adam Cole etc.). In fact from the outside, I'd say he treats employees and ex-employees pretty damn well with regards to rehab and stuff like that, particularly when people are directly employed by his company, he's under no obligation to help self-employed people overcome their demons.

As for Vince being pissed off, whilst he's going to be aware of AEW, he's also aware that his business is doing the best business it's EVER done. I wouldn't assume he'll be too worried, this difference in brand values is phenomenal and unlikely to change anytime soon.

As for nicked Daniel Bryan and Mox, if you mean they didn't renew their contracts and wanted to try something different then fair enough.

2 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

How do you know how Vince treats his office staff? He must also treat his talent so bad most of them hang around forever, in fact the only ones that really seem to be moaning after jumping ship are the indy darlings who think they deserve more (see Keith Lee, Adam Cole etc.). In fact from the outside, I'd say he treats employees and ex-employees pretty damn well with regards to rehab and stuff like that, particularly when people are directly employed by his company, he's under no obligation to help self-employed people overcome their demons.

As for Vince being pissed off, whilst he's going to be aware of AEW, he's also aware that his business is doing the best business it's EVER done. I wouldn't assume he'll be too worried, this difference in brand values is phenomenal and unlikely to change anytime soon.

As for nicked Daniel Bryan and Mox, if you mean they didn't renew their contracts and wanted to try something different then fair enough.

Alright Shane. He's not gonna let you wrestle again.

43 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

On Tony as a stats nerd, I've heard from people who work there that a lot of the shows are structured around that sort of thing - whether it's featuring people on TV more based on the impact they have on ratings, putting bigger matches in the segments that more people are likely to be watching (hence why Rampage tends to open with the biggest match on the card when they have a good lead-in), but also in recognising which wrestlers garner attention from specific demographics or locations. I'd wager that the reason they're having Danhausen and Hook interact a lot lately is that they'll tick a lot of the same boxes in terms of social media engagement, and that's just one of the simpler things. I'm sure there's way more that we'd never have thought of. 

That’s fascinating. I wonder if we are heading towards something resembling Algorithm Elite Wrestling? I think it makes sense, do what you can to get the best numbers. Maybe it’s because I’m well out of the loop but could this be the start of a new era in terms of how wrestling is produced? From kayfabe, to the WWE universe, to sabremetrics?

To go back to the original point. The fact this guy has created a wrestling company that has a bunch of us boomers watching and enjoying wrestling again is incredible. I tend to just stick to the PPV's mainly but will catch weekly shows when there is a hyped match on here.

AEW has made wrestling fun again for me and I'm sure many others. 

I'm not sure on the context for that, but how valid can the context be when you're talking to someone whose running - by all accounts - a wildly successful number two promotion? 

What booker improves AEW? Because virtually all the ones that I can think of write their own fan mail on the backside of recycled TV formats from the 1990s and would make fuck all difference to the bottom line of AEW or virtually any other wrestling promotion for that matter. 

Wrestling's basically still huge because of what it became in 96-01 in spite of the vast majority of creatives in its top ranks. This idea that a certain booker can turn things around is mad. We're basically still in the echos of X-Seven and zapping off how cool it was and theoretically can be. 

8 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I'm not sure on the context for that, but how valid can the context be when you're talking to someone whose running - by all accounts - a wildly successful number two promotion? 

What booker improves AEW? Because virtually all the ones that I can think of write their own fan mail on the backside of recycled TV formats from the 1990s and would make fuck all difference to the bottom line of AEW or virtually any other wrestling promotion for that matter. 

Wrestling's basically still huge because of what it became in 96-01 in spite of the vast majority of creatives in its top ranks. This idea that a certain booker can turn things around is mad. We're basically still in the echos of X-Seven and zapping off how cool it was and theoretically can be. 

Give Bill Watts the pencil!

On 4/14/2022 at 4:01 PM, stewdogg said:

I don't think I had a go at how Vince treats people.