The "Tony Khan is ace!" thread

David

For the record, I don't think Tony Khan is ace. But that's not to say that I don't want to think he is.

I've dipped in and out of AEW but I've never really looked into the money behind the muscle, so to speak, so most of my opinions have been coloured by the "Tony is a twat" thread, and that's just not cricket, is it?

So, let's hear why Tony Khan isn't actually a twat, and why he could, in fact, be ace! I'm keen to learn why he's different to Vince beyond him looking like he should be working at Google and cutting about on one of those electric scooters.

• Paid Members

I suppose the main thing is that unlike a certain billion dollar wrestling company that will go unmentioned, during the pandemic Tony didn't fire a single wrestler or staff member as "cost cutting measures" when he easily could have done, actually hired more people and gave a lot of pay days and exposure to indie wrestlers who had all their work completely dry up over night. Tony hasn't fired anyone that I can think of actually, anyone he wants gone he appears happy to just let them sit out the rest of their agreed contract and pay them. The man just generally seems to treat his staff well for the most part, giving top acts paternity leave and time off when they need it for whatever reason. When Brodie Lee was sick he somehow managed to keep it completely quiet during a time when pretty much everything gets out and has supported and treated the family incredibly well, including giving his widow a full time job.

It's a refreshing change from years of hearing wrestlers talk about how they are treated like shit by all the psychos, numptys and weirdos in Connecticut. 

Edited by LaGoosh

He's basically living the dream. Out there snorting coke and actually booking real life wanky e-fed shows and signing everyone up. So good for him. It's nice to see someone so passionate and enthusiastic about the business actually be successful to the degree he has been. It's not easy.

• Paid Members

I'm no Tony Khan fan by any stretch, but I can appreciate the quality that AEW put out weekly which has been consistent for a few years now. I never thought we would see someone with the work ethic of Vince McMahon, but Tony has his hand in the Jaguars, Fulham, booking all of AEW's TV and YouTube shows and now will be head booker for ROH. No wonder he goes crackers on Twitter. 

It'll be interesting to see how long the bubble will last once real critisism comes in (It's only bots at the moment, right?) and how he will deal with it. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

gave a lot of pay days and exposure to indie wrestlers who had all their work completely dry up over night.

Had their work completely dried up overnight because other promotions were forced to protect the health of their performers and crew instead of exploiting a corrupt state government declaring pro wrestling an "essential business" right after receiving a heavy donation from WWE?

Genuinely not sure if I've got that right, hence asking in here rather than cross-posting in the twat thread as we'll presumably have to do with any counter assertions either way.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Had their work completely dried up overnight because other promotions were forced to protect the health of their performers and crew instead of exploiting a corrupt state government declaring pro wrestling an "essential business" right after receiving a heavy donation from WWE?

Yep pretty much. Khan also put in an extremely strict COVID testing policy and measures and AEW didn't have any COVID outbreaks from their pandemic era shows, unlike WWE which had multiple outbreaks.