The "Tony Khan is ace!" thread

David

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

He is nowhere near as hands on with those teams as he is with his train set. 

Or dogs.

• Paid Members

Tony isn't perfect. Is he a better person then Vince? Yes. He employed the first trans wrestler in a major promotion, he has hired multiple wrestlers from the LGBTQ+ community and not as a comedy act. He paid wrestlers during the pandemic who couldn't work as they were stuck in other countries (Hayter and Pac come to mind). He gave wrestlers work during the pandemic and fired a few wrestlers due to unacceptable behaviour in work or personal reasons.

He also made wrestling exciting again for people who had fallen out of love with it, and allowed wrestlers to come in to do the work they wanted. He managed to talk Punk back and he's been having the time of his life. 

It's not a perfect product and ignoring the twitter points, he is flawed and has done things which he could have handled better. But overall the wrestling world is better off with AEW in it, and he is instrumental in that.

ITV still do not deserve wrestling though.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Is he a better person then Vince?

There are pieces of lemon peel floating down the Thames that would make better people than Vince.

ELXlwd-WsAM489i.jpg

How much is AEW costing Khan, do we think?  I wouldn't expect it to be breaking even yet, but I wonder how close it is.  Dixie Carter spent years paying a lot of wrestlers a decent wage out of her own pockets, and people fucking shat on her for it, so I'm surprised (but heartened) that it's to Khan's credit that he's providing work for wrestlers.  Let's be completely honest, the McMahons aside the wrestling industry has often survived on money marks.  It's transforming that passion into a long-term, financially stable company that is always the hard bit.

4 minutes ago, Loki said:

How much is AEW costing Khan, do we think?  I wouldn't expect it to be breaking even yet, but I wonder how close it is.  Dixie Carter spent years paying a lot of wrestlers a decent wage out of her own pockets, and people fucking shat on her for it, so I'm surprised (but heartened) that it's to Khan's credit that he's providing work for wrestlers.  Let's be completely honest, the McMahons aside the wrestling industry has often survived on money marks.  It's transforming that passion into a long-term, financially stable company that is always the hard bit.

Last I heard, they broke even when they got that new deal with Warner but they pumped a bunch of money into the video game, so (I think) are still in the red for now.

30 minutes ago, Loki said:

Dixie Carter spent years paying a lot of wrestlers a decent wage out of her own pockets, and people fucking shat on her

Probably because she’s a woman.

Another plus point is we can honour Owen Hart by buying a t shirt. Couldn’t do that with WWE. I do hope he does the Scott Hall Shield next for his dead wrestler with no affiliation tournament. 

How do you know which promoter makes good telly? Easy, Vince can’t but Tony Khan. 

Can you not go back to your own thread for slagging him as you routinely tell everyone to do when saying anything nice about aew or Khan on that? 

11 minutes ago, Louch said:

Can you not go back to your own thread for slagging him as you routinely tell everyone to do when saying anything nice about aew or Khan on that? 

I didn’t slag him! I’m looking forward to my T-shirt and it’s all thanks to tone!!

I'll give him a massive due for actually preventing me from giving up watching wrestling completely. He seems a bit off piste like most rich nutters but I wouldn't have known who Hangman Page was, so well done to the billionaire tweeting coke head. 

Re Dixie, the mad fuck aired a promo where she told her roster when Hogan and co were on the way 'take me side or fuck off'. She peaked with being related to Dec. 

Edited by Chili
Grammar bee

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Dixie Carter spent years paying a lot of wrestlers a decent wage out of her own pockets

Well, sting and hogan. Most of the others were paid in food stamps or doing evenings at sunglasses hut. 

21 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Well, sting and hogan. Most of the others were paid in food stamps or doing evenings at sunglasses hut. 

Spike were meant to be covering or at least chipping in for some of the bigger name talent. Which is why I figured Loki was taking the piss, since Dixie's own pocket was her parents and Spike.

A bit like TK.

This probably won’t matter one iota to anyone bar David, but the thing I’m most interested in regarding little tone is  his statistical data gathering in baseball and American Football. Moneyball revolutionised baseball and his firm took it to the next step. It measures how players impact teams in totally different ways. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a whole load of new metrics for wrestling,  measuring what makes a good storyline and match, the diminishing returns of moves per show, all kinds of stuff that we as viewers aren’t even thinking about.