The "Tony Khan is ace!" thread

David

• Paid Members
On 4/13/2022 at 1:27 PM, LaGoosh said:

I suppose the main thing is that unlike a certain billion dollar wrestling company that will go unmentioned, during the pandemic Tony didn't fire a single wrestler or staff member as "cost cutting measures" when he easily could have done, actually hired more people and gave a lot of pay days and exposure to indie wrestlers who had all their work completely dry up over night.

I'm not saying it wasn't a good gesture, but TK was far from being the only one to do so.

I know that Impact didn't and I'm not aware of NWA or ROH (previous ownership) releasing anyone either. In fact, it probably did a lot to fuck up ROH and hasten its eventual demise in the end.

Not sure I would include NWA in that. They're meant to have had really low guarantees, $250-$1000 a month. It's not like they're offering a living wage on their own. There's then a few examples of those that have moved on and had issues getting out of those deals.

Ricky Starks contract came up during the pandemic. He was offered less money than before. Which is why he walked away.

Ziggy Dice had problems getting out of his contract. It was apparently extended when he had asked to be released.

Thunder Rosa had to have her contract bought out by AEW.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:37 PM, Keith Houchen said:

That’s fascinating. I wonder if we are heading towards something resembling Algorithm Elite Wrestling? I think it makes sense, do what you can to get the best numbers. Maybe it’s because I’m well out of the loop but could this be the start of a new era in terms of how wrestling is produced? From kayfabe, to the WWE universe, to sabremetrics?

Given Netflix is known for a heavy use of algorithm information to inform creative notes I think this is going to be a general thing within entertainment.   If you consider the direction the commodification of media has taken over the last few decades along with the tech making this information accessible it makes sense you'd start getting high up people wanting to focus on this way of developing stuff.

It's not entirely a bad thing within certain entertainment types.  From what I understand in WWE you've got Vince McMahon pushing what he thinks is a good product even if that's not necessarily reflective of what the people consuming the product want? It happened a bit in music as well when failed musicians got "corporate" positions and pushed their taste over what actually might be culturally relevant now. Obviously you don't want everything homoginised to death, which algorithms have a risk of doing (or getting non sensical) but it attaches a quantifiable metric to what the public actually like.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I'm not saying it wasn't a good gesture, but TK was far from being the only one to do so.

I know that Impact didn't and I'm not aware of NWA or ROH (previous ownership) releasing anyone either. In fact, it probably did a lot to fuck up ROH and hasten its eventual demise in the end.

AEW's wage bill was probably triple Impact, NWA's and ROH's combined.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

With revenue streams to match.

Which makes WWE sacking people even worse knowing their revenue went up during that same period. Also Tony Khan paid the NWA woman’s talent for that PPV.  So yeah, it’s a billionaire doing it if you want, but as WWE proved, he didn’t need to.

1 hour ago, Duke said:

You know the discussion has gone on too long when David is doing the one line summary to try and draw a line under it.

Can't be doing with folk who ramble on when a few short, concise sentences will do. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Shows how much the landscape has changed when actually seeing the fans having a great time at a show isn’t the norm. Makes you want to be part of it. 

I've felt this way since Punk first showed up. WWE could announce tomorrow to their jaded listless audience that Dr Sam Beckett has cracked time travel to the point that Extreme Judgment Battleground : Backlash In The Bank will headlined by Steve Austin, The Rock and the Road Warriors VS Ric Flair, Randy Savage, Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels, all in their primes, and they'd likely react as though it was Horace vs Jerry Flynn from a 1998 Thunder.

• 1 month later...