Wrestlemania 38 - A Stupendous Weekend in Dallas

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Oh, fix it for real, here and now? You can’t. Horse has bolted. Chickens are coming home to roost, and other farmyard metaphors.

I'm not sure I agree it's unfixable, but it would need a huge overhaul of how they do everything in a very short space of time and something big to gain mainstream attention for the shows. I'm not sure there's anything feasible on the table that could be big enough, but if they wanted to fix it, there are certainly ways to make it happen. That's the issue though, WWE have no desire to fix the issues with the product, it seems. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I'm not sure I agree it's unfixable, but it would need a huge overhaul of how they do everything in a very short space of time and something big to gain mainstream attention for the shows. I'm not sure there's anything feasible on the table that could be big enough, but if they wanted to fix it, there are certainly ways to make it happen.

How? Nobody’s main event and nobody’s over. Lashley is the only one made strong enough to look on a main event level and kept there recently. Big E got shunted back into his place, Drew’s back where he was before his title reigns, Ortons been fucking around in tags, Reys main event talented but hasn’t been booked like it. Everything’s midcard, they haven’t time to fix that now by Mania.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, air_raid said:

How? Nobody’s main event and nobody’s over. Lashley is the only one made strong enough to look on a main event level and kept there recently. Big E got shunted back into his place, Drew’s back where he was before his title reigns, Ortons been fucking around in tags, Reys main event talented but hasn’t been booked like it. Everything’s midcard, they haven’t time to fix that now by Mania.

I suspect we might have a crossed wire here and perhaps I didn't phrase that very well. I'm not suggesting there's an easy fix at all, hence why I said I don't think there's anything feasible on the table. It would take something massive, literally ripping up plans and doing something drastic. If they *really* wanted to, they could try to do something crazy, be that bringing someone in, or making a star in one night bringing in some buzz, or something equally out-of-character, but it would need to be something monumental and there's no desire to do so. That's the issue.

To your earlier point it would need to be massive short-termism too if they took that approach, but my point was more that they don't think there's anything that needs fixing. 

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

https://ispot.tv/a/bd6_

Take one look at that ad and tell me which Superstars they want to get over. Give me one name mentioned, one direct quote or soundbite, or one visible wrestling move. They don't care.

A very pointed use of the word "Dynamite" there.

The point of visible wrestling moves is an interesting one - I noted when they first started plugging the Network than none of the ads featured for it ever showed any actual wrestling, or if they did, it was Hogan slamming Andre or Austin stunning Vince. This ad had a little more in showing five or six top rope moves, but no impact.

Part of that is because they sell "moments" rather than wrestling, but something I discovered a while back is that there are really weird restrictions on what bits of wrestling you'll be able to get aired in certain timeslots. It's the same reason WOS Wrestling used to really awkwardly cut away from the impact of certain strikes. So it's just as likely that, by avoiding showing any actual impact, they're just maximising the amount of places they can get the advert played. 

That said, it's still an advert for a wrestling show that doesn't name a single wrestler, or advertise a single match. I'd say it's about selling the brand above the matches, but the name "WWE" is never said out loud either! I think, with "Wrestlemania Backlash" in mind, Peacock decided that "Wrestlemania" was a stronger brand name than WWE and want the focus on that.

Edited by BomberPat

But how can they, not us, look at it and think it's bad?   Over the two nights it'll be the biggest Mania crowd ever and one night will still be in the top 10 crowds ever probably.  It will probably be the most watched Mania ever thanks to Peacock and with it being the first proper full crowded Wrestlemania since Fox/Peacock.   It will probably be the highest money making Mania ever.   A few hundred fans will complain about it afterwards, but why would they care about that?   How can they, not us, look at it and think they're doing anything wrong and it should be like it was 20 years ago, when the show will be equally as succesful as any Mania from "when it was good" ?

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

You mean STUPENDOUS isn't a wrestler?

I absolutely can’t believe what I just watched in this regard. When Owens used it in his crap promo to Austin I thought it might just have been his way, like tweeting him as “Steven.” But now I see it’s another bit of corporate crap, that WWE decided “Stupendous” was their word dujour, and we’ve definitely hit peak Vince in terms of being at a point where nobody has any balls left to voice concerns, because you can’t tell me “It’s WrestleMania… it’s big… it’s bigger than big…. It’s STUPENDOUS!!!” isn’t straight of his mouth.

• Paid Members

It's either that they're getting Spladoosh to perform live over the weekend and they were giving a shout out to Stu Penders? 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

There was a Scottish wrestler called Stu (or Stew) Pendous.  I doubt the advert is about him though.

His first match was an eight-man with Drew Galloway on the other side. This Happy Corbin stuff is just a swerve before Pendous comes in for revenge at the big show.

Someone just posted this on Reddit and I didn't know where else to comment on it, but it's kind of Mania related.

The first Money in the Bank (at Mania) was the same amount of time to today as it was the first Royal Rumble.

1988 to 2005 seem like different lifetimes.  2005 to 2022 - not so much.

• Paid Members
On 3/10/2022 at 5:47 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Surely if Austin was having a match they'd be promoting the fuck out of it as it's the only thing that will actual sell a decent amount of tickets, and they know it.

Well, looks like that bump in ticket sales hasn’t happened yet

729F3C67-F4FF-4718-AC00-9F40A2B3FF31.jpeg