Cesaro leaves WWE

Callum1993

11 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

It's more a case of being past his prime years and isn't necessarily chasing a top spot in the same way a Buddy Matthews type might. If Cesaro had a two year run in AEW. Had the matches he wanted, he's more likely to be thinking about retirement if he's just a midcard act.

My bad, I read as you thinking he was coming to the end just because he was over 40.

As others have suggested, a year in AEW having good entertaining matches could be worth a go. You could maybe even get a TNT Title run out of him but he shouldn’t be anywhere near the Main Event, no matter how many twitterers demand he be “used properly”.

Ive always predated him as a tag team guy and really liked him with Sheamus as The Bar. Wasn’t Timothy Thatcher let go last year too? Bring them in together as just a pair of hard nasty bastards and stick them in the tag division

• Paid Members

Nothing would take the shine off a bunch of people in AEW than wrestling every week. One thing that's clearly working really well for them is cycling people in and out of the main events - in the last four weeks, the main events have been Danielson vs Garcia, Sammy vs Darby, Hangman vs Archer, and Punk vs MJF. While I get that some think Hangman should be main eventing every show, etc, this way works so well. It means almost every match at a PPV feels like it could be a main event of a regular show - and it makes more people feel like main-eventers.

You want to have your 'guys who run over people in short matches' people too, and I get that - so having Wardlow and HOOK in regular matches makes total sense. But they're the lads you're building, so they need that at the moment. A Keith Lee, though, should be more of an attraction, and he'd become less of one the more you see him. It feels like a bigger deal that he's not wrestling until the PPV than it would if he was on every week, no matter how much fun it is watching him yeet twinks.

18 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

My bad, I read as you thinking he was coming to the end just because he was over 40.

As others have suggested, a year in AEW having good entertaining matches could be worth a go. You could maybe even get a TNT Title run out of him but he shouldn’t be anywhere near the Main Event, no matter how many twitterers demand he be “used properly”.

Ive always predated him as a tag team guy and really liked him with Sheamus as The Bar. Wasn’t Timothy Thatcher let go last year too? Bring them in together as just a pair of hard nasty bastards and stick them in the tag division

I think you look at the booking style of AEW a year or two run would be more of a benefit than a cost. Cesaro v. X number of different people would credible Dynamite/Rampage selling points. He'd make a credible title challenge to the TNT & World Title. Appearances in the Owen Hart Cup and if they do another World Title Eliminator around Full Gear. That'd just be as a singles. He's had enough random but successful tag teams over the years it could be a boost on that front as well.

On the business side he's the kind of person you want doing their youtube/twitch streams for AEW Games.

• Paid Members

Should point out that, when it comes to age, we really need to re-think what "prime" means when it comes to wrestling. A lot of it is down to real sports - most successful sportspeople tend to retire in their late 30s, but wrestling is a much longer career, and quite a few of the people we've come to see as legends did some of their absolute best work in their early 40s. Flair, Hogan, Batista, Triple H, Michaels, Undertaker, Lesnar, and so on. 

• Paid Members

I think one of the really beautiful things about AEW's booking is that guys can be popular without a run as 'the guy'. Cesaro feels underutilised in WWE not because he should've been WWE Champion, but because anyone who isn't the champion amounts to absolutely fuck all. In AEW someone can come in, be popular, and amount to an important part of the show without needing to be in that upper echelon of title holders - that's exactly what someone like a Cesaro could do in that environment, and then if/when the shine wears off he can go on his merry way and the show isn't hurt because it's not reliant on any one guy.

Mox can disappear for rehab, guys can be off for injury, Cody - one of their main pillars in getting off the ground & a central part of AEW - can leave and not even be missed a week later.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think one of the really beautiful things about AEW's booking is that guys can be popular without a run as 'the guy'. Cesaro feels underutilised in WWE not because he should've been WWE Champion, but because anyone who isn't the champion amounts to absolutely fuck all. In AEW someone can come in, be popular, and amount to an important part of the show without needing to be in that upper echelon of title holders - that's exactly what someone like a Cesaro could do in that environment, and then if/when the shine wears off he can go on his merry way and the show isn't hurt because it's not reliant on any one guy.

This was something that frustrated me about my later years of watching WWE, back in around 2012 - it really didn't feel like they had all that much for the lower sections of the card except as fodder for the main event. For all of us who watched it in earlier eras, we knew it didn't have to be this way. They had so many popular guys who never held a belt - hell, one of their most iconic guys, Roddy Piper, only held the IC belt for a cup of coffee before dropping it to Bret, and that was in 1992, after he'd "retired" and come back. Jake Roberts never held a belt, Davey Boy winning the IC was treated like winning the World, Ted DiBiase in his run as the Million-Dollar Man only really got the tag belts, and that was much later in his run.

I don't see Cesaro in AEW being any different to Cesaro in WWE except he'll be around less. 

Seems like he'd offer something different in NJPW but between Ospreay and the lack of crowd noise (as sensible as it might be) it's all pretty unwatchable anyway. 

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Should point out that, when it comes to age, we really need to re-think what "prime" means when it comes to wrestling. A lot of it is down to real sports - most successful sportspeople tend to retire in their late 30s, but wrestling is a much longer career, and quite a few of the people we've come to see as legends did some of their absolute best work in their early 40s. Flair, Hogan, Batista, Triple H, Michaels, Undertaker, Lesnar, and so on. 

It's a fair point. They also had the advantage of already being an established main eventer by the time they would turn 42. Coming with the money and the perks of a part-timer schedule for the most part.

Ric Flair 1991
Hulk Hogan 1995
Batista 2011
Triple H 2011
Shawn Michaels 2007
Undertaker 2007
Brock Lesnar 2019