AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

I think MJF is largely great but putting him out there to do that shit is such an obvious boring WWE-chasing move. Not his fault, he did about as good with that as he could, but come on. This is the sort of shit that TNA used to try on an almost weekly basis and get endless pelters for. Why not just print some Summer Of MJF t-shirts before the show and have done with it.

Thoroughly excellent two hours of wrestling that. Can't believe a significant minority didn't enjoy the MJF promo. It was fantastic. They're going to get to a point where MJF is threatening to take the title from CM Punk to WWE. And with the way they've played the last week it actually feels organic. Hook it to my veins.

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think MJF is largely great but putting him out there to do that shit is such an obvious boring WWE-chasing move. Not his fault, he did about as good with that as he could, but come on. This is the sort of shit that TNA used to try on an almost weekly basis and get endless pelters for. Why not just print some Summer Of MJF t-shirts before the show and have done with it.

Given the creative freedom the wrestlers apparently get in AEW, there’s surely a good chance it was all his idea.

As far as the Summer of Punk goes, the better known one, that never really achieved its full potential. The build-up to Money in the Bank was exciting, as was the show itself, but it fell apart quite quickly after that. Also, it was eleven years ago. For those reasons, I don’t have a huge problem if this is an attempt at doing a better version of that.

This is the first time AEW has run an angle like this, so I don’t think they should be viewed as TNA was for this. TNA, as you mentioned, ran ‘worked shoots’ every other week, and I’m not sure that any of them were actually any good. None of them succeeded in generating any sort of buzz, anyway, and love it or loath it, this angle has certainly done that.

I mean, everything is subjective, but like @Pinc, I’m really surprised that the angle has been divisive. The follow-up is key, of course, but fuck me, I loved it. 

Loved the MJF promo and it was believable which is all I need in my wrestling.

JR needs put down though, absolutely cringed when he finally remembered Cash Wheeler’s name and proceeded to try to explain why he has forgot rather than just leaving it and moving on.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

This is the first time AEW has run an angle like this, so I don’t think they should be viewed as TNA was for this. TNA, as you mentioned, ran ‘worked shoots’ every other week, and I’m not sure that any of them were actually any good. None of them succeeded in generating any sort of buzz, anyway, and love it or loath it, this angle has certainly done that.

It's not so much the worked shoot thing. I don't surround myself with AEW enough to know if this is the first time they've gone down this avenue. It's this odd vein of WWE cosplaying that's crept into AEW recently. The overwhelming number of quite often crap WWE castoffs that have been signed, CM Punk's Bret Hart match reboots, and now this. It's got TNA stink all over it.

I remember watching the first AEW PPV and although I mostly disliked it, it was at least its own thing - really removed from WWE. I just don't think it's anything like that anymore, from what I see. I just think this new MJF angle is such a disappointing and obvious route to take considering what a unique and self-made character he's been to date. He doesn't need this angle at all.

12 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's not so much the worked shoot thing. I don't surround myself with AEW enough to know if this is the first time they've gone down this avenue. It's this odd vein of WWE cosplaying that's crept into AEW recently. The overwhelming number of quite often crap WWE castoffs that have been signed, CM Punk's Bret Hart match reboots, and now this. It's got TNA stink all over it.

I remember watching the first AEW PPV and although I mostly disliked it, it was at least its own thing - really removed from WWE. I just don't think it's anything like that anymore, from what I see. 

I can’t say I agree with the ‘TNA stink’ comment for the reasons I’ve outlined (plus, I don’t think ‘TNA stink’ is really a factor anymore, given how far removed we are from even the initials T-N-A).

That said, I do agree that some unwelcome WWE tropes have seeped into AEW booking - for example, finishes designed to ‘protect’ the losing wrestler, rather than clear, decisive wins and losses. The influx of ex-WWE talent has also bothered me at times. I’d definitely like to see more AEW originals break through as top level acts. 

Aye, I always thought MJF was a bit too short to be considered/make it as a top lad but he's done very well for himself in fairness, much to his credit. This shite of calling 'Tony wanks dogs' out is pure bollocks though.  

i thought it was one of the strongest promo's in years. Suggesting it is TNA levels is so far off the mark. 

Whilst I can see issues some may have with the shoot comments in it. It was a hell of statement from MJF that has the whole industry talking about him. After Double or Nothing people were talking like he was quietly doing the job on the way out, instead he comes out swinging last night. 

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob