AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

38 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I know that it's pro-wrestling and so it is what it is, but I really wish AEW would have more consistency and logic around when and why "security" or "staff" try to get in between two wrestlers.

I liked the idea that Nyla had hired security to keep Jade away. Showed a certain level of intelligence. The fatal flaw was that they were AEW Security staff.

• Paid Members

Fun episode as per usual. Lots of fun, short matches. I like short matches.

Main event 3 way was a weird mashup of wrestlers but was luckily mostly a Rush showcase where he just violently beat the shit out of everyone for most the match. He's a proper nasty prick, I love him. Definitely something there. Push him Tony!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Nick James said:

Imagine bragging about a ratings win of around 100k against the current iteration of NXT. It's a win, but it still isn't a good look, just take the W and be quiet.

Why? They usually get 700-800k viewers. There will be some of those wrestling fans who watch NXT and AEW so sone would of have to have made a choice. Plus for some reason Americans struggle to watch a show if it’s moved night or network for a week, so it’s a decent victory considering all that. Of course, the crime that episode didn’t get higher ratings is the real shame here.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Why? They usually get 700-800k viewers. There will be some of those wrestling fans who watch NXT and AEW so sone would of have to have made a choice. Plus for some reason Americans struggle to watch a show if it’s moved night or network for a week, so it’s a decent victory considering all that. Of course, the crime that episode didn’t get higher ratings is the real shame here.

They were up against tough sports competition and in the same slot last year the ratings were 500k so this is a good result for them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My point is it's not worth bragging about, whether it's in a rap or not. I do agree that the episode deserved more eyes on it than it got. This faux war that everyone from Tony Khan to Triple H is so desperate to be a thing, comes across like a tired old act that can't let go of the Monday Night Wars. 

If you enjoyed it, that's fine, I'm glad, but it's not for me, which is also fine. There was certainly much more to enjoy on the show, but that part just felt unnecessary to me. 

Anyways, back to the show and AEW overall, I saw that El Hijo Del Vikingo has been approved an American visa, could we see him pop up on AEW? I'm not up on the who works with who in the Mexican promotions so unsure if it's even possible, but the guy is a tremendous talent.

Edited by Nick James

6 hours ago, Nick James said:

My point is it's not worth bragging about, whether it's in a rap or not.

If it was Tony the twat saying something, fair enough. If all this is The Acclaimed doing a single line to pop the crowd its hardly bragging. It's not like they're making an entire gimmick out of it like the Demo-God.

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Nick James said:

Anyways, back to the show and AEW overall, I saw that El Hijo Del Vikingo has been approved an American visa, could we see him pop up on AEW? I'm not up on the who works with who in the Mexican promotions so unsure if it's even possible, but the guy is a tremendous talent.

He works for AAA, who have an extremely one-sided working relationship with AEW. He has got the visa to work some AAA US dates, but I'm sure all the major promotions will be sniffing around him as soon as he crosses the border. AEW are a lot quicker to showcase talent they don't have under contract than WWE are, so I'd be surprised if he doesn't show up - and if he does, they should get behind him as much as possible. He should be to this generation what Rey Mysterio was to WCW in the mid-90s, just a quantum leap forward in what audiences think high-flying wrestling can be. Ideally, they should bring in Black Taurus with him, but I don't know what his deal with Impact is.

The other thing is that Vikingo was clearly banged up after his match with Fenix at Triplemania, and hasn't wrestled again yet, and I haven't seen any confirmation of whether he's injured, or the extent of it, but he pretty clearly fucked his back up in that match.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

What was the dig in the Acclaimed match about someone trying to trademark the word “edge” for videogames?

It was a reference to Tim Langdell. He has a company called Edge Games which doesn't appear to actually make or publish games, but claimed to own the global trademark for the word "Edge" in the videogaming sphere. This was quite clearly for the sole purpose of engaging in frivolous lawsuits. He went after Edge Magazine in the UK and lost, he got a pretty good indie game called Edge removed from the Itunes Store,  and in his most ambitious/insane effort he went after EA for Mirror's Edge and was rather predictably destroyed. They counter sued him and eventually the courts cancelled all of his trademarks and forced him to write to everyone he'd previously sued and notify them that he was no longer claiming to own the word "Edge". 

So I think he was just comparing Mark Sterling to Langdell.