AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

59 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

He was right to take the title from a battered Omega, it was the perfect story. They just dropped the ball with him because they didn't think of a story past that.

They were on their way to a Moxley heel turn, right? Before he had to go into rehab? I always assumed Hangman vs Heel Mox was the plan for late 2021/early 2022. Could've been great.

Thinking about it, they haven't had a title run go to plan for almost an entire year now.

10 hours ago, Pinc said:

They were on their way to a Moxley heel turn, right? Before he had to go into rehab? I always assumed Hangman vs Heel Mox was the plan for late 2021/early 2022. Could've been great.

Thinking about it, they haven't had a title run go to plan for almost an entire year now.

Full Gear was expected to be Mox v. Danielson in the Eliminator final. Mox destroyed 10. Was due to face Orange Cassidy in the semi before withdrawing. When they pulled the trigger on a proper heel turn would have been important.

Say he was still doing the tweener brawling madman in a respectful first defense against Hangman. Only to snap in defeat to set up a gimmick rematch a chunk of the fans would be supporting Mox.

Regardless of how they booked it, things would have played out better for Hangman than going 60 minutes against Danielson. He'd still have had Adam Cole and Punk waiting in the wings so it wouldn't have changed much in the grand scheme of things.

• Paid Members

I was pretty cold on Dynamite Grand Slam but Rampage Grand Slam was fucking great. Just an incredibly good show from top to bottom. With all the politics and booking discussion it's sometimes easy to forget how just straight up fun AEW can be and how stacked the roster is. The Darby/Sting tag was another absolute banger which these two always guaranteed to have whenever they team up - high level PPV calibre match. Sting is a madman. Darby is a madman. I could watch Brody King beat people up all day. Glorious.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Brody as the leader, but Brody, Butcher and Blade as a trio is something that definitely appeals to me. They could always expand Julia Hart's role to be more leader than lackey, if they really need a figurehead. No idea if she's good enough for that spot, but it would at least save the inevitable fantasy booking of them bringing in Bray Wyatt or some other spooky nonsense.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Brody as the leader, but Brody, Butcher and Blade as a trio is something that definitely appeals to me. They could always expand Julia Hart's role to be more leader than lackey, if they really need a figurehead. No idea if she's good enough for that spot, but it would at least save the inevitable fantasy booking of them bringing in Bray Wyatt or some other spooky nonsense.

I think Brody could work as a leader. He doesn't go all spooky promo time, he says what he needs to say, and kicks ass. Bunny could be brought in to do the talking for Julia, while giving her time with a veteran to grow. 

Just take Julia off tv for a bit and bring her back doing her own thing. The “corrupting the cheerleader” b movie story only has so far to run, let her be herself than a B character. 

• Paid Members
On 9/24/2022 at 8:40 AM, TildeGuy~! said:

Prior to Muta coming out she checked the position of the table at least 3 times, and instead of falling she jumped and missed about 2/3rds of the table, wouldn’t blame the spot on AEW

She's a 20 year old girl being asked to do table spots on AEW's equivalent of Velocity. Of course it's the company's liability. Has she ever done any table spots before? Then factor in the sheer amount of injuries this company's had. It's not all the talent's fault. People will walk on knives to defend this company, honestly.

This is the same show where they had one of the most iconic wrestlers of all time show up as a surprise as well. Tony Khan's a fucking idiot.

• Paid Members

It’s a real tragedy Rampage did about half of what Dynamite did in the ratings because it was night and day in terms of quality.

Rampage nailed it in every way that Dynamite didn’t. Great action, satisfying finishes, fun, feel good moments. Peak AEW, doing what they do best. Everything on Dynamite found a way to under-deliver, whilst everything on Rampage over-delivered! It’s fully bonkers that these two shows were recorded on the same night. It felt like two completely different promotions!

This is the AEW I want going forward. Fuck off anyone who isn’t happy. Anyone who wants to go work for Hunter, let them. Draw a line under the last year or so and go back to pushing all the originals who built this company from scratch.

Speaking of which, MJF is cashing in during or after that Mox vs. Hangman match, isn’t he? Feels really obvious now all the pieces have been put into place. Not that I’m complaining. A fresh start like that is exactly what we need. This show alone paved the way for a tonne of babyface contenders who could challenge MJF. Kingston, Darby, Hangman, Starks, Jungle Boy, Samoa Joe, Sting. That’s eighteen months right there!

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Fuck off anyone who isn’t happy. Anyone who wants to go work for Hunter, let them. Draw a line under the last year or so and go back to pushing all the originals who built this company from scratch.

Speaking of which, MJF is cashing in during or after that Mox vs. Hangman match, isn’t he? Feels really obvious now all the pieces have been put into place. Not that I’m complaining. A fresh start like that is exactly what we need. This show alone paved the way for a tonne of babyface contenders who could challenge MJF. Kingston, Darby, Hangman, Starks, Jungle Boy, Samoa Joe, Sting. That’s eighteen months right there!

I hope not RE: the cash in, things are getting a bit WCW 99-00 with the belt for my liking right now and a little stability until Full Gear or Winter is Coming wouldn't go amiss. Also the "cash in" thing is such a WWE cliché that I'm certain it would backfire on the company losing them more good will. 

Agree completely on letting anyone go who would rather be elsewhere and focussing back on some of the originals. Just looking at the reaction to The Acclaimed shows me there's plenty of hot young acts that can be further pushed/ exposed which will carry the company. TNA 2008, AEW is not.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, simonworden said:

Also the "cash in" thing is such a WWE cliché that I'm certain it would backfire on the company losing them more good will.

I think the idea is that winning the title via tired WWE trope works for Max's character since he's a horrible turncoat who wants to jump ship to WWE at the earliest opportunity. You're supposed to think it's a cheap, crap way to win and thus view MJF as the biggest Triple H arse licker not called Bobby Fish.

It's not what I would do but I'm willing to see how it plays out. There might be something there if you riff on the idea that he's doing the crappy thing we've seen time and time again. Get him shedding tears and acting like it's some grand, honorable way to win. Pipe in some, shitty, tone-deaf, "You Deserve It"! chants.