The Tony Khan Is A Twat Thread

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, waters44 said:

Did you see Helwani’s takedown of Paddy Pimblett and Dana White? Helwani goes in hard and brings all the receipts in a fat envelope, don’t mess with him 

Happy to ask TK questions about the backstage brawl and get annoyed he wouldn’t answer questions due to an ongoing investigation, meanwhile ignores the Vince situation and now we know why. You can’t be an unbiased journalist if you’re on the company payroll. If he’s banned from UFC media scrums, as I’ve read elsewhere, he can say what he wants to Dana White. 

8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Happy to ask TK questions about the backstage brawl and get annoyed he wouldn’t answer questions due to an ongoing investigation, meanwhile ignores the Vince situation and now we know why. 

That’s apples and oranges though, two completely different scenarios. As has been pointed out ad infinitum, he fronted a BT Sport promotional piece about a BT Sport entertainment show. Every single show has an editorial line and an agenda. In the case of the BT Sport one, the agenda was to promote their show, not conduct forensic scrutiny. Had HHH appeared on Helwani’s own show and got the friendly softball treatment there, they’d have a point. On his show, he sets the agenda and the editorial line. 

Honestly, it’s like saying “Ben Shepherd really went after the Tory minister on Good Morning Britain but when a Labour politician was on Tipping Point, he was joking around with them”

Khan came across like the arsehole he is, so now his fanboy’s are trying to discredit the interviewer in order to discredit the whole interview. 

8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

can’t be an unbiased journalist if you’re on the company payroll

Is he on WWE payroll? I know he’s on BT Sports payroll but even so, it doesn’t detract from Sniff looking like a complete and utter chump. 

I really don't understand the desire to defend Tony Khan here. Every question Khan was asked in that interview was a legitimate question, and even with that in mind he still wasn't asked about AEW's decision to sign Jay Lethal or stand by Darby Allin; so he still had an easier time than was merited. 

Even if it wasn't - as Keith has pointed out - apples and oranges in the context of each interview, the criticism should be that the Triple H interview was handled badly, not that Tony Khan was given a hard time. 

I can absolutely understand why people want AEW to do well - I certainly do - but ignoring legitimate concerns about the company, or dismissing criticism of the owner doesn't help anyone. Not all of this is made or said in bad faith. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is he on WWE payroll? I know he’s on BT Sports payroll but even so, it doesn’t detract from Sniff looking like a complete and utter chump. 

Well, he was on the PPV in a broadcast capacity, so there will be a payday there, that won’t be on BT Sports dime.

Regardless, I’ve said TK looked a chump, but he also had the right to a grievance as he came on as a guest, he couldn’t answer certain questions because of investigations and Ariel cried about it. But HHH and Nick Khan are obviously smarter by only being interviewed in their world rather than his show. So sure, one got hardballs, the other got softballs, but that was TK’s decision so jokes on him.

Considering Dana White got him (allegedly) gone from ESPN for UFC coverage, he better hope Nick Khan is there for the long haul because thats his safety net.

4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Regardless, I’ve said TK looked a chump, but he also had the right to a grievance as he came on as a guest, he couldn’t answer certain questions because of investigations and Ariel cried about it. But HHH and Nick Khan are obviously smarter by only being interviewed in their world rather than his show. So sure, one got hardballs, the other got softballs, but that was TK’s decision so jokes on him.

I don't think asking about the Punk/Elite situation is a hardball at all - it's the bare minimum you'd expect from a topical interview. It would have looked utterly bizarre if Helwani - or any other interviewer - completely ignored it. Granted, this kind of shoddy journalism happens all the time in wrestling; but it shouldn't. Khan should have come equipped with some sort of answer, and he really could have - something along the lines of: "I know why you need to ask that question, but unfortunately I'm not in a position where I can provide much of an update at this stage. An investigation is ongoing, and I won't be able to provide any sort of update until this has been completed." 

If you're not willing to answer questions about the issue of the moment, don't agree to do the interview in the first place. 

15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Well, he was on the PPV in a broadcast capacity, so there will be a payday there, that won’t be on BT Sports dime.

So, that’s a guest spot then. It’s like saying anyone who appears on a BBC political or panel show is on the BBC payroll because they got an appearance fee. And besides, that appearance happened long after the Khan interview so the point is irrelevant. 

Regardless, I’ve said TK looked a chump, but he also had the right to a grievance as he came on as a guest, he couldn’t answer certain questions because of investigations

At one point, in the same segment, he said “I’m a super transparent guy” then said “I’m not going to talk about that”, and later “I’m not getting into that”. Super transparent! 

Considering Dana White got him (allegedly) gone from ESPN for UFC coverage, he better hope Nick Khan is there for the long haul because thats his safety net.

Not really, as da yoot would say, those are his side hustles. His own show (and pimping betting companies) are his bread and butter. Helwani is an arsehole, always has been. But criticise him for genuine reasons. Fronting a puff piece isn’t one. Nor does it bring his credentials as a journalist into repute. 

As a combat sport fan, I can honestly say just be thankful it wasn’t GAD. 

Helwani went into detail about the twitter stuff, it’s a long read. Sniff really doesn’t come out good. 

Spoiler

I just wanted to live in the moment. But then for a second because I had like an hour (before his next live shot), I did look at the phone because I wanted to see if people were watching, I don’t know. And I look at this fucking tweet from Tony Khan. And I swear to God, I looked at this tweet three times because I thought it was fake, because, you know, anyone could have a blue check mark. This guy doesn’t follow me. This guy has never tweeted me. There’s no way he actually tweeted this. Number one, proving that he was watching, which is bizarre, why would you do that? Why would you put the competition over and show that you’re watching some random SmackDown and in a random moment during the telecast. Number two, putting down his own guy in the process, your guy, the great Tony Schiavone, Atlanta sports legend, calling me a fraud and then saying that I’m as much of a journalist as Tony Schiavone. Now, I’m trying to think, what is the point he was trying to prove here? He is trying to say that Schiavone isn’t a journalist, which, by the way, correct me if I’m wrong, doesn’t he have a little bit of respect for being a media dude?

So, this guy is calling me a fraud and then he is saying that Tony Schiavone is as much of a journalist as me, I guess he’s trying to imply that he’s not real journalist and I’m not real journalist, why insult your guy in the process? You could have said that in a million different ways. I mean, the real thing he should’ve done is said nothing because number one, why are you putting over the competition’s broadcast, your show is coming up, nice little cheeky hashtag there on the tweet as well. But, like, this shit, you talk about a non-goal, and I know that Fulham is having a little bit of a better season, they certainly haven’t had a great run with the Khan’s involved, but, I mean, this was one of the great non-goals. I just couldn’t believe it. I had to check a couple of times, like, was this really him? Now, to take a step back, he is still upset, clearly, over the fact that he gave me one of the all-time worst interviews and ignoring the fact that I have continuously praised the product ever since they launched around three years ago. It was just a bad interview, objectively, a bad interview.

Now, what’s amazing about that interview is, you know, everyone loves to talk about, oh, he couldn’t talk about this, he couldn’t talk about that, legal this, legal that, first of all, like, where’s the fucking legal, right, where’s the proof, what legal are you guys talking about? Where’s this investigation you guys keep talking about? But, I just want to let you all know, very clearly, that I had ask Tony multiple times to come on the show, I stopped asking because I was told that he wasn’t sure, I’m Nick Khan’s guy, I work for BT, which is ridiculous, that’s just a broadcaster partner, that would be like saying to somebody like Marc Raimondi that he shouldn’t interview Bellator guys because he works for ESPN and UFC is on ESPN, it’s stupid. Anyways, I just stopped asking. They reached out to me several months later and said, do you want Tony on? I said, really, cool, never said, don’t ask this, don’t ask about that, you don’t think I wasn’t going to ask him about these things? Anybody worth a salt would ask these things. There’s a million different ways to answer those questions. 

But just to let you know, at that time, I had no relationship with anyone, in terms of business, anything like that, this was back in early October, so to now pin those questions on me appearing on SmackDown and all of that stuff is a bullshit move because one has nothing to do with the other. He’s just mad that he came off looking like a guy who didn’t know how to handle these situations and is only comfortable promoting and talking on and on about the product when it’s not really what the public wants to hear and now, he’s trying to say, look, this is why he asked me these questions when it’s just all really silly bullshit, man. Why do you care? Why do you really care? I said it was a bad interview. I’ve praised your product. Why are you so quick to run to your phone and tweet this in my moment? That’s when I realized, old Ariel would’ve let this tweet and a guy like this bother him, I actually was like invigorated by it. I thought it was hilarious. I was debating, like, do I tweet something back now, let me just chew on this for a while, let me get this second hit out of the way and then I’ll deal with this. 

But the amazing thing was how the whole thing spread backstage. Everybody was talking about it. Hey, did you see this? Did you see the tweet? I’m like, I’m the new guy, I’ve only been here for four hours, like, I barely know a lot of these people. It was amazing. Was that really him? What a. …., yeah, I guess it was him. He doesn’t follow me. But I still kind of feel bad for Tony Schiavone because he was insulted in the process, bizarre. This fucking guy doesn’t know what journalism is. He’s no different than Dana. What I thought about tweeting back to him was, Dana is not going to tag you mate, he was trying to curry favor with his idol, Dana White. I thought that would be too much of a deep cut for the wrestling audience, but he’s just trying to do that thing. It hasn’t worked for Dana and it ain’t going to work for Tony Khan, I could assure you of that. I wasn’t sure if maybe he couldn’t here what I was saying on SmackDown, maybe the connection was bad on his TV, it was snowing in Montreal, I’m not sure if it was snowing in Jacksonville.

I can’t stress this enough, old Ariel would’ve been down over this. I was not gonna let this fucking guy, this guy who has built an amazing thing, all credit to him, this kid who, you know, if it wasn’t for his old man, let me tell you something, my dad gave me a lot, but as far as MMA Journalism and everything I’ve got, that was all on me, alright. I’m very proud of what I built. I was not gonna let this fucking guy soil my name, drag it through the mud, ruin my night, Montreal, a dream, a bucket list thing. And I know he’s trying to get himself over on me because lord knows he needs it. I wasn’t gonna let that happen, absolutely not. Then I’m in the car and I didn’t think I was going to reply back, to be honest, but then I was like, fuck it, Heelwani, 10-7, all day, every day, I’m just not going to let this slide. You’re not gonna call me a fraud and get away with it. And, honestly, I felt bad for Tony Schiavone, I felt like I needed to stand up for my guy, I mean, come on, what a legend. I feel like Tony Schiavone and me doing broadcasting together, I mean, I feel like that would put butts on seats, people would enjoy that, that’s a deep cut from the old WCW days. And then all of the freakazoids comes out, you know, to Tony’s defense, telling me about my career, my life, about journalism, about this and that. Let me explain to you because, poor Dave Meltzer, I see continuing to get compared to me, I am not Dave Meltzer, I’ve never claimed to be Dave Meltzer, I don’t cover pro wrestling for a living, I don’t have a wrestling show, I don’t have a wrestling site, I don’t have a wrestling newsletter, why do you guys keep comparing me to this guy? Because I may be that guy in MMA? I never been that guy in this sport. When I sign with BT Sport, the sole thing I was hired to do, mainly, was UFC. The problem was, someone at the UFC, you know who, wasn’t happy about it, threw a fit, went crazy, did all of this stuff, and they were like, alright, well, I guess we could use him in WWE. 

That was never the plan. Point is, I never considered myself a wrestling journalist, so I don’t know why you guys are all up in arms. I’m having fun, I’m living my life, I feel sorry if you feel like you can’t have fun. Now, we got to Saturday, I don’t know what I’m doing, we end having the live shot with me and GSP, I wasn’t paying attention to the broadcast. Michael Cole, a freaking legend, sees me before the show and says, just wait till to you hear how I introduce you. I think he’s going to say combat sports reporter, this, that or whatever, cool, thanks, man, thanks for putting me on. I’m trying to put over GSP, the crowd is going nuts, GSP is asking me questions, I’m like what the hell am I doing here, this all feels like an out of body experience. I go to the back, my phone explodes because of what Michael Cole said. Michael Cole says something to the effective of, there’s the unbiased journalist, Ariel Helwani, hit with you the hard questions whether you want to answer it or not, like, what is going on, this is like the Monday Night Wars and I’m in the middle of it, like, what is going on, everybody is going nuts over this. I’m getting high fives in the back, I didn’t do anything, it was incredible.

This is not a work. Tony wants to shoot, he’s looking for a foil, he’s trying to pick a fight with the biggest name in combat sports and wrestling media, he has tried to pick a fight with me. So, I’ll say this to Tony, I’m sorry about your Jaguars, they shat the bed against the Chiefs. I’m sorry that Fulham is a mid-tier club. I’m sorry that it seems like a lot of people say things about you. I wasn’t one of those guys, in fact, I have praised you and your product multiple times. I went to Dynamite in Queens, I don’t know what you’re so upset about. You’re upset because I asked you a few questions and you didn’t answer them correctly, I don’t know. Like I’ve said, time and again, if you come at the king, you best not miss, and once again, he missed just like all of them. And let me tell you all something, I’ve had to deal with the likes of Dana White, I mean, if you think I’m afraid of, you know, big bad Tony K, I’m not. I never met the guy. I don’t know what his thing is, I think he’s trying to be tough like Dana White and all of this stuff, but thank you for the tweet, man. Honestly, thank you, it was great. I think it helped me out. And thank you to everyone who’s been tweeting me up a storm about me and all upset, ruining your weekend, I loved every minute of it, it was fantastic.”

Edited by Keith Houchen
Spoiler tags

• Paid Members

I don't have any skin in the Khan/Helwani debate but I think it's disgenious to say Ariel is only there because of Nick Khan. 

His gig with BT started as a UFC only thing which then spread into doing bits for WWE.  Dana eventually got him canned from BT's UFC stuff but it seemed like BT and ESPN at the time did all they could to keep him, even with Dana doing what he could to sabotage him.

By all accounts he has a good relationship with Trips and Steph and a lot of the talent, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in an on camera role down the line in some heel manager type role. He'd be pretty good at it too I'd imagine. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

Yeh, if you're going to be a very public-facing corporate boss, especially in a particularly public-facing industry, it's a bit unrealistic to expect to not to have to answer difficult questions. I'd have thought he'd had a modicum of media training to help him deal with those. And he's a public-facing boss of two public-facing concerns, remember.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Coach ain’t impressed 

I know Helwani has gone after Coach before due to their interractions at ESPN, but anyone know he what he means by Helwani making a mockery of Pro Wrestling?

To be honest, I think Helwani was consistent in tone between his Triple H and Tony Khan interviews. Difference is, Triple H was well briefed and knew how to answer difficult questions. Tony on the other hand made a tit of himself and is now implying there is an agenda against him. Take the L, move on. Not everything needs to be framed within this bullshit world of AEW v WWE.

7 hours ago, ElBigFella said:

To be honest, I think Helwani was consistent in tone between his Triple H and Tony Khan interviews. Difference is, Triple H was well briefed and knew how to answer difficult questions. Tony on the other hand made a tit of himself and is now implying there is an agenda against him. Take the L, move on. Not everything needs to be framed within this bullshit world of AEW v WWE.

Both interviews were typical PR nothingness. The only reason Tony's was highlighted and stood apart from the 100 odd interviews he'd done before, was that Ariel on a subsequent pod reviewed it as one of the most frustrating interviews he'd ever done. Making sure to call out the freakazoids. Which spun new life into the news cycle of a nearly week old interview.

Edited by Infinity Land