The Tony Khan Is A Twat Thread

Keith Houchen

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What boss doesn’t talk a good game when recruiting? Of course he’s going to promise more then they will actually deliver, that’s pretty much every boss in history.

I didn't say it wasn't expected or the norm. Just that if you do that with one person and then hire as many as he has, of course you're going to fail to deliver on those promises. He's just setting himself up to fail at this point.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I didn't say it wasn't expected or the norm. Just that if you do that with one person and then hire as many as he has, of course you're going to fail to deliver on those promises. He's just setting himself up to fail at this point.

Lucas Till Riley GIF by CBS

• Paid Members
On 10/5/2022 at 5:27 PM, LaGoosh said:

Usually I'd agree completely but the Omega/Page story in AEW was a modern classic unlike anything you see traditionally in wrestling and Jericho has been doing great work that has elevated a lot of guys since day 1. I'm assuming regardless of how much the wrestlers put together Khan still has to ok it.

The Hogan v Sting build in wcw was great, but letting Hogan book his own shit was still stupid.

Get input but someone should always be steering the whole ship and looking at the cards top to bottom in my opinion.

• Paid Members

I doubt Tony Khan is promising people title reigns or anything like that, but he's likely doing what Vince did for decades - you sell people on opportunity. He'd quite often pay less than people were making for another promotion (even recently, I know of someone who signed with WWE for less than what AEW was offering them), but he'd sell them on the added value - if you perform well enough you might end up main eventing Wrestlemania, and think of the money that would make. If you get over, think how much more money you'd make on merchandise, advertising gigs, all that fun stuff. 

I imagine Khan does something similar - sells them on it being a more open field than WWE, and on it offering more creative freedom, which appeals to a lot of wrestlers. But what's become clear is that, in terms of the main event picture, it's not that open. That perhaps should have been apparent when Khan and Omega were saying very early on that they'd basically planned out every champion for the first five years and things like that. Outside of guys like Punk and Danielson that you'd be daft not to sign and immediately find a top level position for, any new signing is a low priority compared to The Plan - there's a top tier of wrestlers that they want as champion, and then the homegrown guys that there's clearly a long-term plan to elevate to the next level, and the Andrades of the world fall between the cracks. 

Now they've lost part of the selling point of "we're a better place to work than WWE"; they're hardly in a position to boast of a better or happier working environment any more, and given that Triple H has loosened the reins on WWE talent, it's a harder sell to say that they're able to offer more in terms of creative freedom either. They still have some selling points left - a lighter touring schedule, the ability to work outside bookings, and the prospect of upward mobility, though that last point is hard for AEW to prove three years in. A lot of ex-WWE talent who think they have a strong working relationship with Triple H are likely to want to take their chances at "opportunity" there again; even though Triple H hasn't yet proven himself in terms of upward mobility on the card either, and I doubt we'll see any evidence of whether he is willing or capable to make new stars like that until after Wrestlemania, given that for now it's still the Roman Reigns show featuring Logan Paul.

• Paid Members

WWE have 5 hours of weekly TV and a roster a similar size or smaller than AEW's so if TV time is what you're after you're pretty much certain to get something to do most weeks if you are halfway decent. In AEW unless you are one of the small handful of chosen ones you'll be lucky to get more than one TV match a month. That and the bigger pay and exposure combined leaves the AEW offer looking a bit rubbish. However, if you ever actually want to see your family and friends at the weekend, spend longer than 3 days at home per week, have plenty of time to rest up and pursue other interests and opportunities while still making a very decent living then AEW is actually a pretty sweet deal.

1 minute ago, Ranmoor said:

https://twitter.com/dajosc11/status/1578184414189625344?t=2INZo7ycH8aBKr_wT5-0bA&s=19

Fair play to Colt Cabana he has gone from being wrestling's biggest thicko during the Art Wreslting's heyday to being the most level headed person in all of the current controversy.

CM punk followed by Best Friends 🤣

On 10/7/2022 at 9:55 PM, Ranmoor said:

https://twitter.com/dajosc11/status/1578184414189625344?t=2INZo7ycH8aBKr_wT5-0bA&s=19

Fair play to Colt Cabana he has gone from being wrestling's biggest thicko during the Art of Wrestling's heyday to being the most level headed person in all of the current controversy.

That best friends T-shirt looks unreal. I’m away to find it 

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I believe it was in a wrestlecrate thing rather than on wide sale, as gutting as that is.

They always turn up on eBay, I’ll stick a saved search up 

36 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Do Fulham fans dislike Tony Khan as much as some Wrestling fans?I

More. They see the Khans as taking the spirit of their club away. Fulham were like a small, more fan minded club which was rare for a London side. Granted, you can’t be a premiership side without being a corporate entity but what really irks Fulham fans is how Fulham isn’t the Khans priority and was initially a gateway into London and part of their main objective, moving the Jags to London. Them not buying Wembley scuppered that though and when you see Sniff arsing around with his train set it pisses off the Fulham fans. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

More. They see the Khans as taking the spirit of their club away. Fulham were like a small, more fan minded club which was rare for a London side. Granted, you can’t be a premiership side without being a corporate entity but what really irks Fulham fans is how Fulham isn’t the Khans priority and was initially a gateway into London and part of their main objective, moving the Jags to London. Them not buying Wembley scuppered that though and when you see Sniff arsing around with his train set it pisses off the Fulham fans. 

Small minded fans more like. Every Fulham fan I have encounter has been a grumpy fucker who seem to forget the days before Al Fayed saved them. They were always the shit version of Chelsea (another small fan minded club before the millionaires came in) and should be greatful someone is keeping the doors open and the money coming in. 

Spoiler

Michael Jackson is HIStory: Controversial statue removed from Fulham  stadium Craven Cottage | The Independent | The Independent