The Tony Khan Is A Twat Thread

Keith Houchen

10 hours ago, Louch said:

Helps babyface FTR and crowd respond regardless. Getting paid not to bump, what a shame for them 

That's not really the point, though. At one point this year, FTR were the hottest act in the company, and AEW did nothing with that. It's utterly bizarre. 

11 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Something would appear to be going on. Don't think any of us will know the full story. FTR got the ability to start taking indie bookings at the end of last year. That's how the Briscoes v. FTR was being set up.

You would think, whether it's a clash of personalities, or a clear indication that FTR plan to leave when their contract expires; whenever that may be. That said, make money with them while you can. Even if they don't plan to stick around, do the big matches while you have the chance to do so. 

11 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

A relatively big company in the States drags Tony Khan's name publicly. Whoops wrong guy.

Tony Khan then uses the publicity to confirm the correction and promote his show. It's not like he was doing a vanity search and engaging with troll accounts.

Yeah, I think that's fair enough. I'm not sure how defamation laws work in the States, but certainly, in this country a mistake like that could land you in court if someone were to take action on it. I can understand why Khan would want to publicise the correction, I think most of us would in his shoes. 

35 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

That's not really the point, though. At one point this year, FTR were the hottest act in the company, and AEW did nothing with that. It's utterly bizarre. 

You would think, whether it's a clash of personalities, or a clear indication that FTR plan to leave when their contract expires; whenever that may be. That said, make money with them while you can. Even if they don't plan to stick around, do the big matches while you have the chance to do so. 

They still are hot. And have kept that by not being on tv every week. They have done 6 mans and singles when each of them have been injured. They have been given the run of all the other titles while are brings other teams up to a higher level so it’s not just FTR losing to teams they are expected to beat when they are back in the mix. They are being very well protected, it’s not like they are losing handicap matches to single stars. 

51 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

They've seen quite lovey dovey in the post ROH media scrums. I think it's more booking and caution around injuries. FTR wanting the Bucks match, TK wanting the Trios titles and both guys have mentioned their knocks they've picked up. I know sports science has evolved over the years, but Dax was partly mummified with how taped up he was at times.

21 minutes ago, Louch said:

They still are hot. And have kept that by not being on tv every week. They have done 6 mans and singles when each of them have been injured. They have been given the run of all the other titles while are brings other teams up to a higher level so it’s not just FTR losing to teams they are expected to beat when they are back in the mix. They are being very well protected, it’s not like they are losing handicap matches to single stars. 

For me there's a fine line between not wanting to over-use an act, and not using them enough.. they might still be "hot" but I don't think they're as hot as they were at one point. I'd fall into the camp of wishing they'd been used more at that point. Sure there are arguments to be made for the approach being logical but it does feel like TK's got a little distracted by other shiny toys.

• Paid Members

Aside from injuries and other absences, I wonder if FTR have been inadvertently booked into a bit of a corner. 

By holding the ROH, AAA and IWGP Tag Team Titles, they need to be pretty well protected, and while I don't think AAA have all that much influence, NJPW are going to have some say in what they can and can't do. While holding all of those titles, they need to look strong, and the only logical next step is a match for the AEW Tag Team Titles, but that clearly doesn't fit with Tony Khan's Plan for those belts, which leaves FTR out of the loop. I don't really believe the gossip that the Young Bucks didn't want a match with them - they've wrestled several times, for a start - but given the Bucks were in the Trios tournament, that also leaves that match set aside.

Between all of that and whatever's going on with ROH - remember at the end of the last ROH show they seemed to set up FTR vs. BCC and haven't referred back to it once? - I can see why FTR would get lost in the shuffle, but it's a damning indictment of Tony Khan's need to stick rigidly to a plan rather than book well on the fly that when plans change he can't find a spot on his shows for one of the hottest acts in the world. 

There are things you could do with them, too; ordinarily, I'd say it's tough having them hold three sets of belts that aren't the AEW titles and justifying why other tag teams would challenge for their titles rather than going after the AEW belts without looking like a consolation prize, but we're actually in a perfect position to make something of that. Chris Jericho is declaring war on ROH, wanting to take out anyone with anything to do with that promotion, so why not have 2.0 feud with FTR to try and bring the ROH Tag Team Titles into the Jericho Appreciation Society? Why not have teams from AAA and NJPW showing up wanting to bring those belts back to their home promotions? Beyond that, on the indies FTR have been fighting the likes of the Rock N Roll Express, you could easily get a short run out of them wanting to prove themselves as the best tag team in the world by beating a load of older teams, or teams from other promotions, that could work as a self-contained story while keeping them away from the AEW titles. I certainly wouldn't complain about getting a straight tag match between them and the Motor City Machine Guns.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

A relatively big company in the States drags Tony Khan's name publicly. Whoops wrong guy.

Tony Khan then uses the publicity to confirm the correction and promote his show. It's not like he was doing a vanity search and engaging with troll accounts.

I think taking a step back from Tony's usual tweets and reactions to things in the twitter-space and looking at it with fresh eyes, you are completely right on this. I think a lot of people (Myself included) read the tweet as though he is insinuating Nick Khan is two-faced in a backhanded jibe as normal, when in actuality, he is saying he isn't two-faced as he was accused of by Dave Portnoy. 

On this one, more than happy to hold my hands up and say 'twas I, that overreacted.

16 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

By holding the ROH, AAA and IWGP Tag Team Titles, they need to be pretty well protected, and while I don't think AAA have all that much influence, NJPW are going to have some say in what they can and can't do.

Inter-promotional politics aside, there's been nothing to stop them defending the ROH tag titles indepedently of the rest. Which they have done a couple of times.

Cool as it is seeing Claudio v. Dax in a singles on Rampage. I probably would have taken a 10 minute squish of Bear Country by FTR. Anyone really.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Inter-promotional politics aside, there's been nothing to stop them defending the ROH tag titles indepedently of the rest. Which they have done a couple of times.

For sure, though that raises the question of why teams are choosing to go after the ROH belts rather than the AEW ones. That might just be over thinking on my part, though.

• Paid Members

I absolutely love FTR but even I'd be cautious about giving them a long tag team title run. I'd absolutely love to see it but Dax Hardwood, despite putting on regular bangers, looks like he's on the verge of falling apart. Just watch him run, his knees look fucked.

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

For sure, though that raises the question of why teams are choosing to go after the ROH belts rather than the AEW ones. That might just be over thinking on my part, though.

Why are all those people going for the ROH World Title and not the AEW World Title? Why are there people going after the ROH TV title and not the TNT Title?

It doesn't have to be that deep. People take what they can get. It was the one value in the rankings. There was the idea that these are top teams and next in line for the different AEW World titles. With everything else being open challenge.

4 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

How much of the booking does TK do and who else is involved?

Does he micromanage it or just say what endpoint he wants and let's the wrestlers or other staff work out how to get there?

It seems that the set up is that Tony Khan controls the bulk, if not all of the booking but does listen to ideas and pitches from the wrestlers and others.

Suggestions have always been that Tony will not delegate booking to anyone, and does indeed micromanage it. 

To the extent that critics come out with the line that he ‘needs help with booking’.

Does the buck stop with him? Seems to be. Beyond that nobody knows the ins and outs.

TK taking control after the Dark Order beatdown at the end of 2019. The Codyverse. Jericho's booking. Eddie being the one to ask with Sammy. QT often credited in conjunction with running the Universal Studio Dark tapings. Mox & Punk's build to All Out. Different bits and pieces come out.

There isn't one way or a known committee. Wrestlers get a say but that doesn't mean their ideas are taken up. I believe a couple of the EVP promotions in the summer had creative titles.

Don’t think it can be said he micromanaged given all the shit that’s come from promos. He’s deciding the direction, and the talent are given guidelines that they fill in themselves. He had made a committee up with some of the agents becoming VP’s to assist with that. Then you get the likes of Jericho who just decides what he’s doing and tells Tony how much time he needs