The Film Directors Superhero Movie Haters Club

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I loved Covenant 😕 in fact I prolonged an argument with the wife purely so I had an excuse to flounce out the house and go and see if for a second time on my own

I don’t mind superhero films but I recently watched Wonder Woman 84 and Eternals and they are both awful.

37 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Is James Gunn going to suddenly appear and say they're all doing it for attention like he did with Scorsese? What a berk.

I loved that. “TAKE OUR FILMS SERIOUSLY!!!” Scorsese “Ok, they’re made by consensus and aren’t artistic” “NOT LIKE THAT!!!!”

I know a comic book guy (don’t we all, it may even be you) and he got miffed at what Marty said, then when he broke it down and went into detail about them for ten minutes I said “Yeah, that’s what Scorsese said. The producers are the show runners, the CGI will do the legwork and any director has about 30 minutes of their own”. 

Mind you, he then said “Why can’t we just let people enjoy things” before slating fans of bands he don’t like. 

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Is he the sort of arse that insists on calling them "graphic novels"? 

He insisted that Ant Man wasn’t a superhero movie, it was a heist movie, because Ant Man had no superpowers. A bit like how Batman has no superpowers then?

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I loved that. “TAKE OUR FILMS SERIOUSLY!!!” Scorsese “Ok, they’re made by consensus and aren’t artistic” “NOT LIKE THAT!!!!”

I had a similar realisation about "gamers" years back - it's people who have been arguing for years that their chosen media should be viewed as "art", but then get stroppy when it's critiqued as art. What they wanted was for the thing they loved to be placed on a pedestal, not for it to be "taken seriously" in the sense that art or all other media actually is.

13 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

He insisted that Ant Man wasn’t a superhero movie, it was a heist movie, because Ant Man had no superpowers. A bit like how Batman has no superpowers then?

Ah fuck I hate those guys. Its like when Captain America Winter Soldier came out (A film I did enjoy) and people were going ITS A 70S SPY MOVIE!!. No it fucking isn't. Just because Robert Redford's taken a pay cheque doesn't mean this is THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR.

I saw they were ready to attack PTA on it when he was asked, but he nicely said his kids like them, but that he enjoyed VENOM 2, which must have confused them all.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I had a similar realisation about "gamers" years back - it's people who have been arguing for years that their chosen media should be viewed as "art", but then get stroppy when it's critiqued as art. What they wanted was for the thing they loved to be placed on a pedestal, not for it to be "taken seriously" in the sense that art or all other media actually is.

Also applies to wrestling. 

• Awards Moderator

I assume interviewers are using up parts of their time with these directors asking about superhero movies because they know it'll get clicks. Which does seem to work, but directors must now be starting to expect the "So, MARVEL eh" question as part of their press routine.