The Film Directors Superhero Movie Haters Club

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The worst crime of Marvel films is that it's led to the rise and spread of crap snarky Joss Whedon-esque sarcastic dickhead humor across all major blockbusters instead of actual proper jokes.

You're gonna LOVE Red Notice.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The worst crime of Marvel films is that it's led to the rise and spread of crap snarky Joss Whedon-esque sarcastic dickhead humor across all major blockbusters instead of actual proper jokes.

100% this. Its 'referential humour' that doesn't elicit a laugh, more a knowing titter.

And whilst I can enjoy a nice in joke or pop culture bit, it's incredibly insular to a wider audience and "Ooooh look a joke about a minor character or a storyline of a comic book issue from 1973 aren't we all so knowing and clever" and its mostly shit. I don't want Batman to have a sense of humour quite honestly. I want him to be a moody cunt.

If anyone is genuinely interested in "big" movies and how they came to be, I recommend you read Blockbuster by Tom Shone. Its not the most in depth book on film, but it superbly tells the story of how that type of movie came to be, and ultimately change cinema. 

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

And whilst I can enjoy a nice in joke or pop culture bit, it's incredibly insular to a wider audience and "Ooooh look a joke about a minor character or a storyline of a comic book issue from 1973 aren't we all so knowing and clever" and its mostly shit.

That's why the first Superman films were the best, they were family films for families.  Not family films for fannies.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

That's why the first Superman films were the best, they were family films for families.  Not family films for fannies.

See also - Into the Spider-Verse. 

9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

100% this. Its 'referential humour' that doesn't elicit a laugh, more a knowing titter.

And whilst I can enjoy a nice in joke or pop culture bit, it's incredibly insular to a wider audience and "Ooooh look a joke about a minor character or a storyline of a comic book issue from 1973 aren't we all so knowing and clever" and its mostly shit. I don't want Batman to have a sense of humour quite honestly. I want him to be a moody cunt.

If anyone is genuinely interested in "big" movies and how they came to be, I recommend you read Blockbuster by Tom Shone. Its not the most in depth book on film, but it superbly tells the story of how that type of movie came to be, and ultimately change cinema. 

A moody cunt who can dance magnificently when called upon.

1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

A moody cunt who can dance magnificently when called upon.

That's another reason why Christopher Reeve was the best Superman, although he couldn't really dance magnificently towards the end if we're honest.  He played Clark Kent as a complete dork, a total fucking doofus.  Not some smouldering bloke with a dodgy top lip.

• Paid Members

20 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

. I don't want Batman to have a sense of humour quite honestly. I want him to be a moody cunt.

Batman is a cunt full stop. He's an incredibly rich man who believes his wealth put's him above the law and gives him the right to do whatever he wants.

And before anyone brings up his dead parents I bet loads of people in Gothem have had family shot by muggers but they don't all start acting the twat at night.

Honestly while I really enjoy the Tim Burton batman films and the cartoon series I never really root for batman because he's such a bellend.

Edited by Tommy!

For years it felt like you could dip in and out of the MCU stuff knowing that they'd be one of the big summer blockbusters that you could catch if you want to and, has others have pointed out, know more or less what you're gonna get. I only went to watch the first Iron Man because I was visiting my big sister while she was studying and she hadn't paid her leccy bill so we were looking for stuff to do out in the city every day. Then I didn't see another Marvel film until Avengers Assemble, because I was a uni student myself by then and my mates were going to see it anyway. And I later caught Age of Ultron and Doctor Strange, both of which were... fine, and I wasn't bothered by the rest.

Since about 2017 it's seemed that none of the entries into the comic book canon have been intended as standalone pieces, as beancounters to force audiences to fear missing out on Ant-Man in case it means they won't understand a offhand reference in Infinity War. I confess I adored Endgame but it can't really be judged as a film on its own merits because following most of it relies on having seen not just its immediate predecessor, but Captain Marvel and Thor: Ragnarök too.

I'm sure I'll get a kick out of No Way Home next month, but your average cinemagoer need to be able to bring to mind prior events of Civil War, the last two Avengers crossovers and the last seven live-action Spider-Man films to get the most out of it. And it'll be over 150 minutes long too. So much for just switching your brain off in front of a popcorn flick for an hour and a half!

Something like The Grand Budapest Hotel isn't my cup of tea, but I'd have to presume that it's at least a complete story that doesn't require knowledge of previous examples of its creator's oeuvre like The Royal Tenenbaums, for example.

The pandemic has affected things slightly, but the original 'Phase 4' dates announced at San Diego Comic Con two years ago shows that Disney had planned to saturate the market with new releases every few months even before that.

And yes, they're kids' films. But Keith is right to be wary of people who object to describing them as such.

The correct response to anybody who doesn't enjoy them is pity rather than hatred. Or even agreement, in the case of some of the output.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Didn’t we discuss that and his ridiculous demands before? Rings a bell, he wanted no other film released by them for a month?

Indeed. But this article does speak about what is spoken about here. I.e the risks and lack of non IP blockbusters 

26 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Indeed. But this article does speak about what is spoken about here. I.e the risks and lack of non IP blockbusters 

Apologies. I thought I’d seen this before and was wondering if I imagined it! That’s what I meant.