The Film Directors Superhero Movie Haters Club

Devon Malcolm

15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Biggest non Chinese film this year was James Bond, that famous franchise aimed at t’youths. 

Bond is a huge franchise film. My Dad goes to see Bond films in the cinema and he never goes to see anything these days. Not sure it's relevant in this discussion.

I get your point and that's the issue. We now have these big Marvel / Superhero films every couple of months, not just during the traditional summer blockbuster time. So the window of when to release these gets shorter. You probably are competing with week 3 of Venom 2 which will pull in more punters than say the new Paul Thomas Anderson film.

Tarantino released OUATIH in the summer and it did brilliant, but that's because of who he is. He's probably the only Director who can do that these days.

I'm not entirely convinced of the wider appeal of The Last Duel, whether there are superhero movies around or not. Fantastic cast. Looks great. Even the story isn't bad but it's not really something I would expect to see succeeding on a massive scale. It's tough going in places. Could/should it have done better at the box office? Absolutely, but I'm not sure how much more. Ridley probably had too high expectations I think.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Factotum said:

Bond is a huge franchise film. My Dad goes to see Bond films in the cinema and he never goes to see anything these days. Not sure it's relevant in this discussion.

I get your point and that's the issue. We now have these big Marvel / Superhero films every couple of months, not just during the traditional summer blockbuster time. So the window of when to release these gets shorter. You probably are competing with week 3 of Venom 2 which will pull in more punters than say the new Paul Thomas Anderson film.

Tarantino released OUATIH in the summer and it did brilliant, but that's because of who he is. He's probably the only Director who can do that these days.

I think you’re Dad is a great example. Took my MiL to see Bond, same deal, likes to watch films at home, but doesn’t go to the Cinema. There are lots of people that don’t watch Superhero films, so they will see whatever else is on (Counter Programming. Eighth Grade was released against Avengers Endgame in the UK for example). But if The Last Dual was released in a month with no big films released 2 weeks before or after, I don’t think it would have done much better. Because it’s not what people are interested in, or have been for years.

• Paid Members

This thread has really taken an unfortunate turn from what I figure it was meant to be.

There's already a thread to discuss all the Superhero/Comic book films that are out there, to your heart's content. Or anyone can start a new one for all 6,000 of them every year, if they like. I know to avoid those threads. I thought this one though, this was a place where all us old men could shout at clouds, about how Superheroes have been the downfall of movies, and thus an entire generation of young people have been ruined and brainwashed into believing they are good, worthwhile, cinema. 

Or maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick. It'd be like going into the Tories are Cunts thread and saying "No, actually, that Prime Minister Johnson, he's a really good bloke that one."

10 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Knowing what Walt Disney's personal beliefs were, I'm sure he'd hate how far the nose is currently up his arse. If he was alive I reckon he'd have his back firmly against the wall.

Especially if that nose was kosher. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, WeeAl said:

This thread has really taken an unfortunate turn from what I figure it was meant to be.

There's already a thread to discuss all the Superhero/Comic book films that are out there, to your heart's content. Or anyone can start a new one for all 6,000 of them every year, if they like. I know to avoid those threads. I thought this one though, this was a place where all us old men could shout at clouds, about how Superheroes have been the downfall of movies, and thus an entire generation of young people have been ruined and brainwashed into believing they are good, worthwhile, cinema. 

Or maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick. It'd be like going into the Tories are Cunts thread and saying "No, actually, that Prime Minister Johnson, he's a really good bloke that one."

Actually it was about directors, who would never been asked to make Superhero films, saying that wouldn’t make superhero films. It’s even in the thread title. It then turned into a debate about how non superhero films aren’t more popular than superhero films. That led to it turning into old men shout at clouds when the idea of Superhero films not actually derailing things like The Last Dual and it was down to lack of interest/poor marketing/casting. But that argument was shot down because evidence suggests the death of cinema isn’t just down to superhero films. And that upsets people who can’t debate it seems.

THAT said, I think you should absolutely start a thread. Call it Superhero Films Are All Shit and you can moan about them to your hearts content. Bit like when we had Arsenal and Tottenham threads. Or get Devon to change this one and carry on.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

The late 90s get a bit of a bad rep for dodgy superhero movies, Phantom and The Shadow in particular and you had Spawn out in 1997.

Other than Batman and Superman they were all pretty much looked down upon until X-Men in 2000. Even then you had crack like Ghost Rider and Green Lanturn coming out

Edited by WyattSheepMask